Using an SD card in phone

Misinthe

Hey everyone, I wanted to get some opinions. I just got my new phone and I am debating about using an SD or not. I've never really had a problem emptying my phone's storage if it's getting full. I just wanted to ask from experience how it works. If I add the SD, does the phone just adds it to the pool memory like RAID 0 or does it uses it as a secondary Storage? Like having separate multiple HDDs? 

Thanks for the comments!

Depends on the phone. Some phones pool it with the internal storage. Some phones treat it externally accessible.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

1 minute ago, kimsejin5 said:

Depends on the phone. Some phones pool it with the internal storage. Some phones treat it externally accessible.

I got the Galaxy S9+. I can't find anything on the interwebs.

Pretty sure it's a separate entity. What do you want to use it for? Apps or just mass storage for videos/movies/music?

Keep in mind that if you remove the card and you have apps installed to it, you might have to reinstall the app. Not that it's overly difficult, but it could be a pain.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Most phones with Android 6 and up allow you to combine an SD card with internal storage, so the phone treats everything like a single storage device.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Pretty sure it's a separate entity. What do you want to use it for? Apps or just mass storage for videos/movies/music?

Keep in mind that if you remove the card and you have apps installed to it, you might have to reinstall the app. Not that it's overly difficult, but it could be a pain.

Yeah, that pain is the one I'm trying to stay away. I replace my phone every year and with an SD I would have to be worrying about what's in there, backing everything up twice. Making sure it's ready for the new phone and stuff like that. Whereas right now, I just back up my pictures and that's it.

2 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Yeah, that pain is the one I'm trying to stay away. I replace my phone every year and with an SD I would have to be worrying about what's in there, backing everything up twice. Making sure it's ready for the new phone and stuff like that. Whereas right now, I just back up my pictures and that's it.

So you're just storing media, or apps too?
You'll have to reinstall the apps regardless if you get a new device. There's files that are still saved to the phones storage.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Most phones with Android 6 and up allow you to combine an SD card with internal storage, so the phone treats everything like a single storage device.

I was reading about that and I've found that Samsung doesn't allow Adaptive Storage yet. Didn't have it in the S8 and doesn't have it in the S9 either. So I guess I won't use the SD.

11 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Hey everyone, I wanted to get some opinions. I just got my new phone and I am debating about using an SD or not. I've never really had a problem emptying my phone's storage if it's getting full. I just wanted to ask from experience how it works. If I add the SD, does the phone just adds it to the pool memory like RAID 0 or does it uses it as a secondary Storage? Like having separate multiple HDDs? 

Thanks for the comments!

Most phones I have had treat it like secondary memory. Google specifically took out the ability to run apps off SD cards. Some phones might still have this feature, but it depends on the manufacture. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.