First time PC build. Suggestions?

So this is my first time building a PC. I think I’ve picked out some pretty well balanced parts, but I do need a second opinion ?. All prices of parts are based on UAE prices, since that’s where I stay currently. Part prices are pretty variable 

here, sometimes over or underpriced compared to the US.

Use case scenarios: I’m more of an editor, doing photo and video work. My bro does some gaming, but this build will be more focused on programming/editing. Using the 1060 for CUDA acceleration in Adobe Applications. I’m also a flight sim enthusiast, using Microsoft FSX and pay ware addons.

Also I am using 2X8GB sticks of DDR4, ignore the listing in the image. That was a mistake.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/aditya_rts/saved/gWpsJx

Part list image attached below.

My queries:

1. Will the stock wraith spire cooler be enough to OC to 3.9/4 GHz?

2. Also need a good recommendation for a decent 1080p monitor.

3. Is the CX650M a decent PSU and is 650 Watts enough?

Also if you guys have any part recommendations please do tell me.

Thanks in advance! 

Aditya.

3FCF350F-0532-4B8B-A25A-F0950589620D.jpeg

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

If you aren't planing on gpu rendering with your software or gaming then you can nix the gpu all together to get more out of the budget. like more hdd space or 2x 8gb ram sticks or definitely a better cpu instead

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

If you aren't planing on gpu rendering with your software or gaming then you can nix the gpu all together to get more out of the budget. like more hdd space or 2x 8gb ram sticks or definitely a better cpu instead

Actually I’m going for the 1060 cause I want to use it for GPU acceleration in Prmeiere Pro and After Effects. Als, some gaming by my bro so.

500px.com/redscape_

Just now, redscape said:

Actually I’m going for the 1060 cause I want to use it for GPU acceleration in Prmeiere Pro and After Effects. Als, some gaming by my bro so.

I'm not too sure how well it'll do as i use the 1060 6gb to render in AE and premiere and it sort of varies on how well it works vs just using the xeons to render it. Usually i use the cpu's to edit , then the gpu to do the final render only.

I guess idk how fast a ryzen 5 is in direct comparison, at the very least it'll help the cpu be less busy during the render so you can still use the machine while waiting.

Dont get a single stick of memory. It wont be able to use dual channel mode which can have a noticeable performance difference, compared to something like 2 8GB sticks or 4 4GB sticks.

WD Green SSDs are pretty slow for an SSD. Get something else

Personally terrible experience with Seagate drives, they just die one after the other within a year other than one of five. That said, buying HDDs has always been a hit or miss situation, each brand are just as likely to fail (unless you pay a lot more for some WD Gold, for example). You can even say its durability depends on how well you behaved last year.

For this system, 450W PSU is good enough though 550W will allow more power hungry upgrades in the future.

Tier 3 or above ranked PSUs are good.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDMM8Y

$1050 with Ryzen 7 and above mentioned changes.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

450W is enough psu capacity. The Corsair CX450 or CX450M are good choices.

Have you considered Coffee Lake cpu?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

14 minutes ago, brob said:

17 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Dont get a single stick of memory. It wont be able to use dual channel mode which can have a noticeable performance difference, compared to something like 2 8GB sticks or 4 4GB sticks.

WD Green SSDs are pretty slow for an SSD. Get something else

Personally terrible experience with Seagate drives, they just die one after the other within a year other than one of five. That said, buying HDDs has always been a hit or miss situation, each brand are just as likely to fail (unless you pay a lot more for some WD Gold, for example). You can even say its durability depends on how well you behaved last year.

For this system, 450W PSU is good enough though 550W will allow more power hungry upgrades in the future.

Tier 3 or above ranked PSUs are good.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDMM8Y

$1050 with Ryzen 7 and above mentioned changes.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was planning to use 2X 8GB sticks of DDR4, but accidentally selected 1 stick in pcpartpicker by mistake. Thanks for pointing it out!

1. Ripjaws are less costly here, but out of stock for over two weeks. Will wait and watch for availability.

2. SSD is available, for the same price. Thanks for the suggestion!

3. MasterWatt series not available here, so went for the cheaper CX550M.

500px.com/redscape_

35 minutes ago, brob said:

True. Guess ill stick with the CX550M, cause future proofing. ANd didn't consider coffee lake cause they are more expensive here.

500px.com/redscape_

Also, my brother plays fortnite, Minecraft with mods and shaders and stuff and I also do flight simulation. I’m using the 1060 cause just in case he wants to game, he should be also to at good FPS. He’s also looking to get into pubg.

500px.com/redscape_

1 hour ago, emosun said:

I'm not too sure how well it'll do as i use the 1060 6gb to render in AE and premiere and it sort of varies on how well it works vs just using the xeons to render it. Usually i use the cpu's to edit , then the gpu to do the final render only.

I guess idk how fast a ryzen 5 is in direct comparison, at the very least it'll help the cpu be less busy during the render so you can still use the machine while waiting.

Hmmm. I’ll look into it

500px.com/redscape_

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RksVYT new list that lowers price and yet again increases performance.

if you aren't comfortable with that PSU, this one has pleanty of juice https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fZyFf7/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

another list if you are wanting to get into overclocking https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VZDQV6

25 minutes ago, Rallenhayestime said:

You made an okay build, but you chose ryzen so -1 there, I just don't think that even for the price that ryzen is worth it for r5. I'd personally go with an i5 8400 over that. also ssd type is important, here's my take: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hRhvV6

Yeah, my first consideration was the Core i5 8600K, and overlock it. But in my place, Intel CPUs are much more overpriced compared to Ryzen, that’s why I chose the red side. Even the 7600K, 6600K and 8400 are more expensive than a 1700X

500px.com/redscape_

25 minutes ago, Rallenhayestime said:

I was too.

Haha

500px.com/redscape_

37 minutes ago, Rallenhayestime said:

You made an okay build, but you chose ryzen so -1 there, I just don't think that even for the price that ryzen is worth it for r5. I'd personally go with an i5 8400 over that. also ssd type is important, here's my take: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hRhvV6

Also, willingly went for a SATA ssd  instead of m.2 nvme cause again, m.2 nvme is much more expensive than SATA in the UAE.

500px.com/redscape_

Just now, redscape said:

Also, willingly went for a SATA ssd  instead of m.2 nvme cause again, m.2 nvme is much more expensive than SATA in the UAE.

That is a good choice. I have used a sata ssd and an nvme ssd in my system and I cannot tell the difference. It makes me wish I went with an even bigger sata ssd than a mid-sized nvme.

36 minutes ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

That is a good choice. I have used a sata ssd and an nvme ssd in my system and I cannot tell the difference. It makes me wish I went with an even bigger sata ssd than a mid-sized nvme.

Haha that's true in most cases. Unless in professional workloads and such.

500px.com/redscape_