Thermal Pads or Paste?

I am in the process of cleaning up my 5 year old laptop, an Asus G75VW. As a part of this cleaning, I plan on replacing the thermal compound on both the CPU and GPU. While taking apart the nVidia 670M GPU, I noticed that the VRM's and RAM chips had thermal paste on them instead of thermal pads. The question I have, should I use thermal paste on them like they did from the factory, or should I use some thermal pads instead?

Thanks!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Technically you could, although practically you can't. Thermal pads are thick(er), so putting paste on there will cause them to probably not make (good enough) contact with the heatsink.

Oops, misread. I thought you meant replacing pads with paste. Thicnkess argument probably still holds though.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Paste for them as well, because it's easier, unless you use electically conduction thermal paste (liquid metal).

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

For the VRM and RAM chips, I would just go back with pads. You don't need the thermal transfer of paste for them and it would just be a mess going back with it. The VRM and RAM really don't need a ton in the way of cooling... as long as they are able to transfer some heat away from them and to the heatsink then they will be fine.

I would just do paste. Apply enough paste and the pressure will fit the paste to the necessary thickness. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I would just do paste. Apply enough paste and the pressure will fit the paste to the necessary thickness. 

This would be a nightmare to clean up... and some TIM's are conductive which would make this an even worse choice. Pads offer a much cleaner solution and since we are talking about the VRM and RAM here, they don't require much cooling.

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

This would be a nightmare to clean up... and some TIM's are conductive which would make this an even worse choice. Pads offer a much cleaner solution and since we are talking about the VRM and RAM here, they don't require much cooling.

Normally I would agree with you, but the card came stock with paste already. That is why I was wondering it I should switch from paste to pads.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

VRMs require quite a bit of cooling. You would have to search for a non-liquid metal TIM that is electrically conductive, nearly no commonly recommended TIM is conductive. Unless the OP plans to have leftover pads there's no need to purchase something that will likely go bad by the time it's used next.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

14 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

The thing is though, pads will be thicker than paste so getting the cooler back on will be a nightmare, and very rarely are thermal compound actually electrically conductive.

9 minutes ago, Sack said:

The thing is though, pads will be thicker than paste so getting the cooler back on will be a nightmare, and very rarely are thermal compound actually electrically conductive.

You can buy the pads in many different thicknesses and the good ones are very squishy so they will just expand out as mounting pressure is applied. As to thermal compound being electrically conductive... it is true that a lot aren't, but some of the better ones are conductive.. all of the liquid metal versions are, the silver based ones are, etc..

Just spraying a ton of paste on the components and then squeezing on the block is going to be terrible. Chances are you will have air pockets with this method and air does not conduct well at all. Also the more paste you have, the less conductivity... which is also why I am suggesting the thermal pads.  If you buy the correct ones, then you will get better results I feel. 

43 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking that I will stick with paste then. Since that is what they used from the factory. I have a brand new tube of the Gelid GC Extreme that I was planning on using. It is not conductive.