Connect a hard drive with another?

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER
Go to solution Solved by rhyseyness,

It's it's SATA! :(

Well I'm afraid you won't be able to swap the drives :(

You'll have to use a USB to IDE adapter if you want to connect the desktop drive to the laptop

Hey guys! I'm back from my aunt's house. i got all those products! Yippee!!!!!!Though i'm gonna unbox it tomorrow. :) Bought many many many things :) :). Very happy about that.

Now, i opened that laptop( whose display was not working). So, it has windows 7 home premium x64 bit os. 750gb hard drive. So, i thought that i can connect a crt monitor that will be lying around in my house to the laptop and then use it as a display. But, i was also wondering this:

Is it possible to pair/connect a internal hard drive ( seagate barracuda st380215a 80gb) with the laptop's hard drive? I mean, i have some programs on that hard drive, so is it possible to connect them both? 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Your best bet is probably a SATA to USB adapter.

Then you can plug in your other HDD and transfer your data.

However, you probably don't want to use that as a permanent solution

i think my hard drive is IDE and not SATA. And, does it work for Internal hard disk? As here, i'm talking about connecting a internal computer hdd with a internal laptop hdd.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

i think my hard drive is IDE and not SATA. And, does it work for Internal hard disk? As here, i'm talking about connecting a internal computer hdd with a internal laptop hdd.

Oh I see!

If the laptop HDD is IDE as well, then yes, you can take out the laptop HDD and replace with a desktop one.

If the laptop uses SATA, then this will not work.

The main problem you will probably have is there being enough space in the latptop to fit a 5.25" HDD in.

Oh I see!

If the laptop HDD is IDE as well, then yes, you can take out the laptop HDD and replace with a desktop one.

If the laptop uses SATA, then this will not work.

The main problem you will probably have is there being enough space in the latptop to fit a 5.25" HDD in.

It's it's SATA! :(

COMING SOON

Where should I begin this... First using internal drive as external is just about using either enclosure or adapter (ide-usb or sata-usb). Thats that. For long term solution I'd say enclosure is better. You can swap laptops main drive with any other drive that uses same connection and is 2.5" form factor. Thats same that SSDs are natively. Swapping means that you have to install OS to new drive or access files on old drive with another machine. Old drive can be used as internal or external.

If you are planning on enclosure or adapter, don't worry about drives having power. Single USB port will be enough to power 2.5" drives. I've tested this on SATA1 and 2 drives, both 5400rpm HDDs (laptop drives).

AFAIK there's no such thing as 5.25" HDD.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv