Ryzen and ECC support

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
2 minutes ago, NMS said:

No. Both CPU and motherboard need to support ECC.

It's not always advertised, but unbuffered ECC will often work fine if the memory controller (on the CPU) can deal with it.

I ran DDR3 ECC unbuffered on a H97 board with a Xeon E3 and on some 6-series s1155 board with an i3-3220. 

So from my understanding Ryzen fully supports ECC, it comes down to your mobo. Now, what I question however, is will ECC memory work without ECC function if used in boards without ECC support? If anyone has an answer to this that would be great, it's not an immediate concern but just a small bit of useful info for me down the line. I have a b350 tomahawk board that says it doesn't support ECC, but would like to know if the memory without ECC ability would be compatible.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Unless it's unbuffered ECC, then it would POST but without being "ECC". In a way...

2 minutes ago, NMS said:

It's not always advertised, but unbuffered ECC will often work fine if the memory controller (on the CPU) can deal with it.

I ran DDR3 ECC unbuffered on a H97 board with a Xeon E3 and on some 6-series s1155 board with an i3-3220. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

I actually updated my post a bit regarding the unbuffered ECC which would work but be turned into a "normal" RAM.

5 minutes ago, NMS said:

I actually updated my post a bit regarding the unbuffered ECC which would work but be turned into a "normal" RAM.

I'd like to point out that the i3 combo I used did in fact run with ECC enabled ;)  didn't check with the H97 and Xeon as I simply borrowed that RAM from my microserver so I could test some other boards with regular DDR3.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

I'd like to point out that the i3 combo I used did in fact run with ECC enabled ;)  didn't check with the H97 and Xeon as I simply borrowed that RAM from my microserver so I could test some other boards with regular DDR3.

That never happened to me before:/ Lucky you.

1 minute ago, NMS said:

That never happened to me before:/ Lucky you.

If you tested with an i5 or i7 CPU, that's to be expected, as they don't support ECC. Not even the enthusiast i7 and i9 chips lol.

Just now, NelizMastr said:

If you tested with an i5 or i7 CPU, that's to be expected, as they don't support ECC. Not even the enthusiast i7 and i9 chips lol.

Oh you know Intel, why enable all functions on all products when they can make sure this way customers will have to buy more stuff for those particular needs.

1 hour ago, MeDownYou said:

So from my understanding Ryzen fully supports ECC, it comes down to your mobo. Now, what I question however, is will ECC memory work without ECC function if used in boards without ECC support? If anyone has an answer to this that would be great, it's not an immediate concern but just a small bit of useful info for me down the line. I have a b350 tomahawk board that says it doesn't support ECC, but would like to know if the memory without ECC ability would be compatible.

Must be supported by the Motherboard.

Rule of the Thumb:
MSI -> Forget it

ASUS -> looks good

Gigabyte + ASROCK I don't know but its possible and I think at least Gigabyte does support it.

Thats support, not work!
Unbuffered ECC should (almost) always work. 

Buffered ECC doesn't look good though. The last Desktop CPUs that supported that were AMD K8 (Dual Core, 939 and AM2), Since K10 that is not possible no more...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Yes, work, but not used.

You need support from the CPU Memory controller as well as the CPU.

That you can use it and boot Windows means nothing with unbuffered ECC.

That only means something with buffered Sticks.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, work, but not used.

You need support from the CPU Memory controller as well as the CPU.

That you can use it and boot Windows means nothing with unbuffered ECC.

That only means something with buffered Sticks.

Unbuffered ECC is still ECC memory, just without the extra register that registered/buffered memory has. It's not like it's a vastly inferior product like you're implying. It still offers almost all benefits error correction has to offer. And if the memory controller supports it, the CPU automatically does as well, as y'know, they're the same unit. The Celeron, Pentium, i3 and Xeon E3 all have ECC support built-in and functional on the Intel side. On the AMD side, it's not as well documented currently.

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

It's not like it's a vastly inferior product like you're implying.

It is way more expensive and if you can not use it, its wasted money. And that's around 25-50% higher cost for nothing.

It still offers almost all benefits error correction has to offer.

ONLY if it is supported!

That was what I was saying!

You have to take a look at the Motherboard _AND_ the CPU, both have to support it!

And if the memory controller supports it, the CPU automatically does as well

No it does not.

That was my point!

On MSI Boards you are out of luck...

ASUS mostly works as does Gigabyte (i think) and probably ASROCK as well.

The Celeron, Pentium, i3 and Xeon E3 all have ECC support built-in and functional on the Intel side.

Oh and what about i5, i7, i9??
Oh they don't have ECC Support??

On the AMD side, it's not as well documented currently.

Could you pls stop the FUD?!

Because ALL Ryzen CPUs support it, you just need the right Board...

• 3 months later...
On 08.03.2018 at 2:08 AM, Stefan Payne said:

It is way more expensive and if you can not use it, its wasted money. And that's around 25-50% higher cost for nothing.

ONLY if it is supported!

That was what I was saying!

You have to take a look at the Motherboard _AND_ the CPU, both have to support it!

No it does not.

That was my point!

On MSI Boards you are out of luck...

ASUS mostly works as does Gigabyte (i think) and probably ASROCK as well.

Oh and what about i5, i7, i9??
Oh they don't have ECC Support??

Could you pls stop the FUD?!

Because ALL Ryzen CPUs support it, you just need the right Board...

Ryzen support ECC memory but doesn’t support ECC functionality. ECC memory will work with Ryzen like ordinary non-ECC memory

49 minutes ago, Uzyf said:

Ryzen support ECC memory but doesn’t support ECC functionality. ECC memory will work with Ryzen like ordinary non-ECC memory

Not true.

Ryzen CPUs do support ECC and use it.

The Ryzen APUs do not.

Users tried it and it shows support:

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/threads/431105-Ryzen-G-Reihe-ohne-ECC