Quietest PC Possible?

P4r4gr4ph

Hi,

So I'm on a bit of a budget and still saving some money for my PC build. I'm trying to make the quietest build I possibly can, and I’m looking for tips and advice. I've heard that PC cases without glass makes things quieter,, and since I have my PC on the floor, I could care less about getting a windowless case. I also heard that one case fan can tremendously improve your temperatures and any more fans can still improve temperatures but not by as much, so I’m probably going to get a single be quiet! fan. I’m also going to get a case with a filter on the PSU fan since filters make fans quieter. So I wanted to ask for any further advice on what I can do to make my PC build as quiet as possible.

Thanks,
P4r4gr4ph

5 minutes ago, P4r4gr4ph said:

Hi,

So I'm on a bit of a budget and still saving some money for my PC build. I'm trying to make the quietest build I possibly can, and I’m looking for tips and advice. I've heard that PC cases without glass makes things quieter,, and since I have my PC on the floor, I could care less about getting a windowless case. I also heard that one case fan can tremendously improve your temperatures and any more fans can still improve temperatures but not by as much, so I’m probably going to get a single be quiet! fan. I’m also going to get a case with a filter on the PSU fan since filters make fans quieter. So I wanted to ask for any further advice on what I can do to make my PC build as quiet as possible.

Thanks,
P4r4gr4ph

Get a be quiet!, Cooler Master Silencio or a Fractal Design case. They have sound dampening foam built in to reduce noise

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

How silent do you want? You can go fanless if you want no noise. Otherwise, if you spin fans at min speed almost all computers will be very quiet.

15 minutes ago, P4r4gr4ph said:

Hi,

Thanks,
P4r4gr4ph

If you want a nice quiet pc with decent thermals then you will want AT LEAST two fans. One for intake, one for exhaust. The best bet would be to find a case with a 200mm fan in he front and a 140mm in the back.  If that isn't doable get something where you can toss in a 140mm in the front and back. That means it can move good air at lower rpm levels.

Your biggest challenge will be getting a gpu that is quiet as they do get warm and fans will ramp up. Cpu shouldn't be much of an obstacle. 

15 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Your biggest challenge will be getting a gpu that is quiet as they do get warm and fans will ramp up. 

If you get something like asus strix 1060, then you can pretty much lock the fan speed to 30% in MSI afterburner and have a nearly inaudible graphics card. The 1060 strix and 1080ti strix both use the same cooler, that is why on the strix 1060 or rx 580 or even 1070 you can lock the fan to inaudible levels and still have temps go to about 70 defgrees max.

23 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

If you get something like asus strix 1060, then you can pretty much lock the fan speed to 30% in MSI afterburner and have a nearly inaudible graphics card. The 1060 strix and 1080ti strix both use the same cooler, that is why on the strix 1060 or rx 580 or even 1070 you can lock the fan to inaudible levels and still have temps go to about 70 defgrees max.

OP is on a budget, so not sure what card he has in mind, but with current gpu pricing this might not be something he is looking at.

I acknowledge there are good custom cards out there for silence, just not sure they will be options for OP.

3 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

The 1060 strix and 1080ti strix both use the same cooler

No they don't the 1080 ti's cooler is a 2.5 slot, the 1060 uses a 2 slot 

5a9f29905f059_images(3).jpeg.e98a76c873a2d12a364f522fbb77bafc.jpeg5a9f29c030d04_images(4).jpeg.dc94f3b7fcfd0be8611286357d38054b.jpeg

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

OP is on a budget, so not sure what card he has in mind, but with current gpu pricing this might not be something he is looking at.

I acknowledge there are good custom cards out there for silence, just not sure they will be options for OP.

I guess I can give some background info on this.

I'm planning on selling my current PC and saving $100 to $150 to upgrade it. Even without the extra money and just the money from selling my current system, I can buy a decent system with a Pentium G4560, which is better than my current AMD A10 6700 in every way. Better performance, PCI-E 3.0 support, and DDR4 RAM. However, I decided I want to spend some extra money to silence it as much as I can.

My current system is a prebuilt one, and I'm selling it the way it came in. I've added some components to the PC, so that means I'll already have a loud fan that I'm totally not using (but has served me well), 256GB SSD, and an Nvidia GT 640. The GT 640 is pretty budget, but I can get good FPS with decent quality settings on the games I primarily play and it's pretty quiet.

Are you trying to quiet down your current system or building a new one altogether?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you trying to quiet down your current system or building a new one altogether?

Sell my current PC and save up some more money and build a new one.

9 hours ago, P4r4gr4ph said:

Sell my current PC and save up some more money and build a new one.

If you're not planning to build the system soon, you might as well plan later. What's optimal changes frequently with price.

If you're planning a new system, I'd suggest planning it as a whole in the New Builds and Planning subforum after reading this:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.