suggestions on speaker brands

Hey guys. I’m going to be moving to my first apartment later this year for college, and I could use your suggestions on some great, more affordable speaker brands to get me started on a theater setup. I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a pair of Klipsch floor standing speakers 6-7 years ago and have done everything one piece at a time.  With that said, I haven't seen klipsch going for very reasonable deals since.  I got the step below the reference line.  I would keep an eye out for last years product as it's always substantially discounted.

I got my sister and brother in law a pair of polk floor standing but they are a warmer sound and not to my taste.

I would start off with a pair of main channel speakers, the best you can afford and go from there.  Either floor standing or bookshelf if you don't have the room.  Start with any AVR, even one from craigslist for little to nothing.  Once you have a left and right channel, then get an AVR, followed by either a center or subwoofer.  Then follow up with a surround.  Just remember that you are best to stay within the same model series, or at least the same brand.  Also as speakers break in they sound better, so month's or years down the road they will come into their prime.  Look at https://www.accessories4less.com/ for some thing's AV related, just make sure you double check as they aren't always the best deal, but when they are the best deal it's by a long shot.

example: I started with a pair of Klipsch VF-36's and ran them stereo on a 12yo yamaha AVR.  Then I got last year's Denon AVR-1712  Then I got a klipsch KSW-100 from my uncle that was in his closet for a decade.  Followed by a Klipsch VC-25 then KS-14.  That got me to 5.1 with all matching brand speakers and almost every model the same.  The KS was a similar but newer line.  All in, this is an expensive setup, however I have bought it one piece at a time and got lucky with older style components.  (side note: it almost became impossible to find speakers in the V series, they started to get expensive but I was lucky enough to find them or comparable components).  So yeah, get the best main channel stereo speakers you can afford and go from there.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 4:21 AM, bealy said:

Hey guys. I’m going to be moving to my first apartment later this year for college, and I could use your suggestions on some great, more affordable speaker brands to get me started on a theater setup. I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Look into ELAC their Debut series are getting great reviews