Looking for laptop <$2000

I've been having trouble daily driving my current laptop to class and such, so I'm looking for a thin and light gaming laptop to replace it.

I travel frequently and have an internship that will require me to do a lot of traveling this summer, I'm looking for a laptop that is pretty thin and well built, that I can game on.

I was looking at the Razer Blade 4k model, I hear the screen is great, and touchscreen is a plus. I may be in the minority when I say I do prefer a glossy finish for laptops for that "premium" feel (and ease of cleaning...).

I've heard concerns over the Razer Blade's temps and reliability, however. Are there any laptops like it that have fewer issues? 

Games I would likely be playing on it: Mostly WoW; some Total War, Civ, and Battlefield 1. 

CPU: i7-7700K | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Super | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Motherboard: MSI M5 Gaming | SSDs: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Kingston SSDNow + 500GB SK hynix SL308 500GB  | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 

Avoid Razer laptops, shitty quality and QC, shitty customer support

Good options: Gigabyte Aero 15, Clevo P950, MSI GS63VR.

Aero 14 and GS43VR are also OK but build quality and cooling are slightly worse than options above

What's the max weight you prefer?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

The games you mentioned could run fine on a 1050Ti and nicely on a 1060.  If you want to keep it for longer I'd go for your Max-Q laptop of choice, preferably with a nice screen.

11 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Avoid Razer laptops, shitty quality and QC, shitty customer support

Good options: Gigabyte Aero 15, Clevo P950, MSI GS63VR.

Aero 14 and GS43VR are also OK but build quality and cooling are slightly worse than options above

What's the max weight you prefer?

I've never had a laptop that is thin or light, so I'm not sure. I just really want something that's small and lightweight, easy to slip into my backpack and then when I travel easy to slip into a lighter backpack. (That's why the blade appealed to me)

6 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

The games you mentioned could run fine on a 1050Ti and nicely on a 1060.  If you want to keep it for longer I'd go for your Max-Q laptop of choice, preferably with a nice screen.

Not sure what Max Q is, I've never followed laptops because I didn't believe in them until I started having to wait 5 minutes at the start of CS calsses for mine to turn on and load up.

Edit: As much as I do hate apple, I do admire the way they design their laptops and the glass screens and such, they do give impressions of premium

CPU: i7-7700K | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Super | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Motherboard: MSI M5 Gaming | SSDs: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Kingston SSDNow + 500GB SK hynix SL308 500GB  | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 

Just gonna bump, still leaning towards a razer blade due to the 4k ips glass touchscreen display. 

Clevo P950HR seems like a good bet.

You can get it here (XoticPC) or get another OEM carrying the Clevo design.

Razer is all about show & on paper specifications.

Their laptops often have problems and as @ZM Fong pointed out have quite horrible Quality Control. (Same with MSI, pretty bad.)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

8 hours ago, NinJake said:

Have you looked at the Dell XPS lineup? I'd rather get one of those compared to a Razer.

I have, I don't think a 1050 will be a comfortable GPU for me.

6 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Clevo P950HR seems like a good bet.

You can get it here (XoticPC) or get another OEM carrying the Clevo design.

Razer is all about show & on paper specifications.

Their laptops often have problems and as @ZM Fong pointed out have quite horrible Quality Control. (Same with MSI, pretty bad.)

This does look promising, though I'm not sure I would need more than a 1060, and I'm struggling to come up with reviews and information regarding the 4K touch display option offered, the color reproduction is important to me.

6 hours ago, Swiftfeather said:

I have, I don't think a 1050 will be a comfortable GPU for me.

This does look promising, though I'm not sure I would need more than a 1060, and I'm struggling to come up with reviews and information regarding the 4K touch display option offered, the color reproduction is important to me.

It isn't a GTX but a Quadro graphics card.

Not sure what the GTX equivalent would be.

I'd ask around on the forum to find someone with that laptop & ask their opinion.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*