Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Get some real summer tires around 200 tread wear and you'll really be impressed with how it handles. The DWS are good but still a big compromise and only 500 wear.

42 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Get some real summer tires around 200 tread wear and you'll really be impressed with how it handles. The DWS are good but still a big compromise and only 500 wear.

I feel like 200 treadwear tires are a little too extreme, thanks to the whole 200tw tire rule for many street car competition events that made manufacturers basically make race tires and slap 200tw on the sidewall. And some of those tires are noisy. They aren't too great in the wet either, and they don't last at all.

He should get DW's, pilot sport 4's, extremecontact sport's, heck even firehawk indy 500's. I feel like those are the best balance for daily driven grippy tires.

I say this as someone who has some 200tw tires on his miata, but I do not daily drive that thing. Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Get some real summer tires around 200 tread wear...

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

...but I do not daily drive that thing. Lol

BC got it right. I not only daily drive my car, its my ONLY car. I drive it in the snow, rain, and dry - all year long. Ive have even had it Off-Road (nothing too extreme of course just getting to a campsite). 200 Tread Race Tires simply won't do.

Ive already been in the snow on these Contis, they are pretty impressive considering how good they are in the dry - I mean I nearly maxed out the car's built-in G-Force Meter (settings on the dash) hitting about 1.3G in the mountains.

Bitter, explain to me how that isn't good enough for a little Civic Si, LOL

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

I didn't know it was your daily, the DWS are an excellent daily tire. If you can swing it in the future for sure grab a second set of wheels and get some real sticky rubber on them. My Dunlop Z2's lasted about 20,000 miles to about 1/3 tread depth remaining, realistically could have gotten 25K out of them. The current Z3's are wearing even better despite a slightly more aggressive alignment and have more traction than the Z2's had. They're not the ultimate pinnacle of 200TW tire performance but they're pretty good. Not horribly loud, but some noise which is worse on very smooth roads (cement and polished asphalt), wet grip is good enough to be safe if you slow down in the rain (as you should do anyway), and they ride pretty well too.

And to boot, I turned around and sold my 1/3 depth Z2's for $100!

I had extreme contact sports on my Mazda. Those were about as aggressive as I'd go on the street. Wanted to try them on my Civic but I got rid of it before replacing the OEMs.

Personally I wouldn't modify a 1.5t because they make good enough street power and get great fuel economy, but I've also seen what happens when they are modified lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Personally I wouldn't modify a 1.5t because they make good enough street power and get great fuel economy, but I've also seen what happens when they are modified lol.

To be honest ya its JUST enough to have some fun power-wise, but only JUST and thats why I want to mod it.

Besides, the modifications I have in mind actually do NOT increase fuel consumption whatsoever (under normal driving conditions anyways). Im not getting a bigger turbo or fuel injectors, rather tuning the car to its fullest extent on factory parts.

The Stage 1 91 Octane Tune simply advances timing a bit and allows the factory TurboCharger to boost to its maximum limit (Factory 17 PSI to 21-22 PSI on Stage 1). The advanced timing and other details can actually IMPROVE fuel economy ever so slightly with better cold-start behavior and the ability to get going with less throttle input.

Full Planned Mod List:

- Two-Step Performance K-Tuner V2.0 + Stage 1 Tune ($660)

- 27-WON Cold Air Intake ($400)

- 27-WON Turbo Inlet Pipe ($360)

- ACT Civic Si Stage 1 HD/Street Performance Clutch Kit with StreetLite Flywheel ($1020)

And thats literally it. The Si already comes with incredible suspension and a massive front-mount intercooler so there's literally no need or even want to upgrade anything else unless you are reaching for absurd racing-only power numbers.

Current Build Thread:

My only experience with a manual 10th gen non type r was a hatchback 6 speed. I thought it was good power wise. If I wanted more I'd get a type r.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

My only experience with a manual 10th gen non type r was a hatchback 6 speed. I thought it was good power wise. If I wanted more I'd get a type r.

Ya even the standard (Non-Si) Civics are decent on power these days.

I mean ya, I would love a Type-R, if I could afford it lol 🤣. I barely had the budget for this thing, Im certainly not rich.

Plus Type-R's have rediculous markups way over MSRP, especially right now with the whole MSRP crysis going on in Automotive land where people are paying almost double MSRP for standard cars.

The Type-R is so desirable that many have soled USED for above MSRP around $50,000 lately. There is a report of a Texas man paying $100,000 for his Type-R due to dealer markups right now.

With 250 BHP in a smaller, lighter 2-Door Coupe package I would be looking at performance just slightly slower than the Type-R anyways, all for about $2500 all said and done, the cost of a good gaming PC.

Current Build Thread:

2 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Ya even the standard (Non-Si) Civics are decent on power these days.

I mean ya, I would love a Type-R, if I could afford it lol 🤣. I barely had the budget for this thing, Im certainly not rich.

Plus Type-R's have rediculous markups way over MSRP, especially right now with the whole MSRP crysis going on in Automotive land where people are paying almost double MSRP for standard cars.

The Type-R is so desirable that many have soled USED for above MSRP around $50,000 lately. There is a report of a Texas man paying $100,000 for his Type-R due to dealer markups right now.

With 250 BHP in a smaller, lighter 2-Door Coupe package I would be looking at performance just slightly slower than the Type-R anyways, all for about $2500 all said and done, the cost of a good gaming PC.

I was seriously considering a FL5 at 5k markup because I liked how it drove so much. Glad I didn't because I think the Integra type s will really shake up what Honda dealers can charge markup on a type r if they overproduce like they are with the regular Integra.

FK8s are fine, but I wouldn't pay over 35k for one used unless its an LE. The FL5 is a much better car.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

I was seriously considering a FL5 at 5k markup because I liked how it drove so much. Glad I didn't because I think the Integra type s will really shake up what Honda dealers can charge markup on a type r if they overproduce like they are with the regular Integra.

FK8s are fine, but I wouldn't pay over 35k for one used unless its an LE. The FL5 is a much better car.

Agreed, too bad there's literally ZERO chance of finding an LE under 50 grand for now and probably for some time in the future. Not until these markups go away and people stop thinking they can put outrageous asking prices on their used cars.

Current Build Thread:

Just got back from a 200mile trip with my new (to me) 2013 Suzuki Kizashi.

Non popular opinon ahead:

The Asians cannot make seats for long distance travel. The Italian know how to make them, but not the Asians. Suzuki is the only Asian car I've owned where this is not the case, the seats were wonderful.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

The Asians cannot make seats for long distance travel. The Italian know how to make them, but not the Asians. Suzuki is the only Asian car I've owned where this is not the case, the seats were wonderful.

I had a friend in high school who had one of those. He had an interesting first name -- "Dax"

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, vetali said:

I had extreme contact sports on my Mazda. Those were about as aggressive as I'd go on the street. Wanted to try them on my Civic but I got rid of it before replacing the OEMs.

rods go through block on the tuned 1.5T's? I've been curious about that, people seem to squeeze a good bit of power out of those little engines.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Glad to hear your quirky car is also a comfortable car. Newer Mazda's have pretty comfortable seats too, my old Mazda seat is lacking side support but is otherwise pretty comfortable. How is it otherwise? I've never had hands on experience with a late model Suzuki, just some much older ones.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Glad to hear your quirky car is also a comfortable car. Newer Mazda's have pretty comfortable seats too, my old Mazda seat is lacking side support but is otherwise pretty comfortable. How is it otherwise? I've never had hands on experience with a late model Suzuki, just some much older ones.

Strong free revving engine, reminds me of my old Alfa 164 in that regards. 

AWD on the fly option and even in FWD mode (default) it's really sure footed, but in AWD you can tell the car hunkers down and is all business. The bluetooth radio required multiple people with engineering degrees to understand and connect to my phone, but in the end I got it to work.

Push button start, which is a new thing for me.

Radio controls (BT issues aside) are really logically laid out and that's fantastic. Dual-zone climate controls, also logically laid out, important controls on the steering wheel, steeping on the loud pedal revs the engine and it MOVES. I found myself going from 60 to 90 in very short order.

Very quiet inside, tomb like, rides sure-footed and despite having a tight suspension (factory) it doesn't hunt over broken roads.

I need to replace the tires tho, they are some brand I've never heard of before (lauren...or something)  and I'd like something better quality but looking over tirerack, it's filled with brands I've never seen before....any suggestions on a solid all-weather (we don't get much if any snow, but lots of rain) quality brand/tire? 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

24 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Strong free revving engine, reminds me of my old Alfa 164 in that regards. 

AWD on the fly option and even in FWD mode (default) it's really sure footed, but in AWD you can tell the car hunkers down and is all business. The bluetooth radio required multiple people with engineering degrees to understand and connect to my phone, but in the end I got it to work.

Push button start, which is a new thing for me.

Radio controls (BT issues aside) are really logically laid out and that's fantastic. Dual-zone climate controls, also logically laid out, important controls on the steering wheel, steeping on the loud pedal revs the engine and it MOVES. I found myself going from 60 to 90 in very short order.

Very quiet inside, tomb like, rides sure-footed and despite having a tight suspension (factory) it doesn't hunt over broken roads.

I need to replace the tires tho, they are some brand I've never heard of before (lauren...or something)  and I'd like something better quality but looking over tirerack, it's filled with brands I've never seen before....any suggestions on a solid all-weather (we don't get much if any snow, but lots of rain) quality brand/tire? 

Sounds great!

Continental DWS 06 Plus are an excellent all around tire with a good sporting streak to them.

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

rods go through block on the tuned 1.5T's? I've been curious about that, people seem to squeeze a good bit of power out of those little engines.

Rarely. Mostly headgasket or bent rods.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Continental DWS 06 Plus

And they are even reasonably priced!

Thank you

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

And they are even reasonably priced!

Thank you

They're not the most quiet tire but they're a great all arounder with great performance for an all season tire.  With AWD and the DWS tires you'll have a great winter driving experience and have enough traction and handling to have fun the rest of the year too!

On 4/29/2023 at 7:39 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Nah, that won't happen on Stage 1. Its a Honda lol, they refuse to die, we all know this.

Stage 1 doesn't do much to stress the engine anyways. Better timing advance and unlocking boost on the factory turbo hardly stresses the engine at all.

Now Stage 2+ with an upgraded turbo pushing 350-400BHP? Now you are in serious trouble with the stock rods.

Stage 1 could do harm to stock internals if you literally race your car and red-line it every day, pushing maximum boost constantly. But obviously a street-driven car will never experience this. I do pulls for fun here and there but its not like I can drive like that all time.

Current Build Thread:

20 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

Nah, that won't happen on Stage 1. Its a Honda lol, they refuse to die, we all know this.

Stage 1 doesn't do much to stress the engine anyways. Better timing advance and unlocking boost on the factory turbo hardly stresses the engine at all.

Now Stage 2+ with an upgraded turbo pushing 350-400BHP? Now you are in serious trouble with the stock rods.

Stage 1 could do harm to stock internals if you literally race your car and red-line it every day, pushing maximum boost constantly. But obviously a street-driven car will never experience this. I do pulls for fun here and there but its not like I can drive like that all time.

I used to think like this, but I’ve seen torque from smaller turbos shred rods at low rpm.

a lot of OEM’s limit boost at lower rpm’s for this reason 

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, Bitter said:

LSPI

?