i7 8700K Cooler - Any inputs?

dv_cali

I'm looking for some input on cooling options for this new build.  It will mainly run stock but want to have the option to overclock.  Productivity software with some gaming too.  Would appreciate any inputs.  Thanks!

What's your budget, and also what case/size do you want?

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

Fractal Design Meshify C FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TG ATX Mid Tower and was hoping to keep it ~ $100.

If it fits in the case, you could go with a Dark Rock 3 from bequiet or a Noctua DH-15, in case you want to do overclocking later on. Those are also close to the 100 dollar limit

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

EK liquid cooling aluminum custome loop a240 $160 nice but spendy

Corsair H110i v2 about $110 this is an AIO

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240 this is$77 and is a good less
expensive AIO

for expensive air Noctua NH-D15 this one is amazing if you got the money and space i recommend

for bare minimum Hyper 212 EVO  tho be care full there isn't a ton of head room if any $30

for Cryorig H5 Ultimate for $45
mid range air go Cooler Master Hyper D92 for $40 or
tho  i would go for Noctua if you can or an AIO cause intel gets hot!!!

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

Appreciate the input, thank you.  The Noctua is huge!  Do you know of any way to see what motherboards it's compatible with?  bequiet has a compatibility tool.  Didn't find one for Noctua.

Anybody currently using either the Noctua NH-D15 or Dark Rock 3 with the MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC?

it works on the motherboard but you gotta watch ram clearance mostly it comes down to case space

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

52 minutes ago, showerhandle said:

EK liquid cooling aluminum custome loop a240 $160 nice but spendy

Corsair H110i v2 about $110 this is an AIO

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240 this is$77 and is a good less
expensive AIO

for expensive air Noctua NH-D15 this one is amazing if you got the money and space i recommend

for bare minimum Hyper 212 EVO  tho be care full there isn't a ton of head room if any $30

for Cryorig H5 Ultimate for $45
mid range air go Cooler Master Hyper D92 for $40 or
tho  i would go for Noctua if you can or an AIO cause intel gets hot!!!

I would not go with any entry to middle range cooling solution like the H212, H5, orthe D92.

The 8700k is an extremely hot chip even at stock clocks and boost. So Big Air and a 240+ MM AIO will be your best bet. I personally would lean towards the expandable AIO's.. they are a little more costly (swiftech x2 is 150, while the original is on sale for 95) These will give you performance similar to a custop loop (within a few C of) without all the cost and planning that goes into one.

I can speak from experience that you will want whatever edge you can get in cooling these chips. The 7700k was a hot chip, so when you tack on 2 more cores and up the boost clock to 4.7 instead of 4.5... then of course voltage needs to go up and the package size did not change... so more heat in the same amount of space = really hard to keep cool. That is even before we get into the crappy TIM intel used between die and IHS.

Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions!  I went with the Big Daddy, Noctua NH-D15.  Been 10 years since I built a system.

22 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

http://www.swiftech.com/H220-X.aspx

$95. It is an Expandable AIO meaning it is closer to a custom loop than a CLC unit. You would get better performance. This is the First gen not the second, but the first gen performed on par with the x2 it just isn't as pretty looking.

I checked the link today....seems I was a little late for this deal, out of stock.  Thanks for the input.

i was in the same boat as you and just bought myself a H110i v2 which is a 240mm AIO. It was super simple to install and "just works" it's keeping my 5Ghz overclock (done via the auto-overclock feature) nice and cool and was only £120 over the counter at the local computer shop.

i was originally planning an overkill EK-MLC Phoenix solution from EK but i've cancelled that order as the H110iv2 is working great