Are all 1080 Ti's created equal?

Ripper7620

I'm building a custom gaming pc for my friend, and I really want to get the best parts I can. This is the 1080 Ti I have picked out that goes with the color scheme: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qTkwrH/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-sc2-elite-gaming-video-card-11g-p4-6693-k1

Here's the rest of the build so far, although I'll probably go with less fans: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Isabella_Shiri/saved/62RtJx

Technically speaking a GALAX HOF is the best gpu in the world right now other than the titan v

It's also white but good luck buying one

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Technically speaking a GALAX HOF is the best gpu in the world right now other than the titan v

What about the EVGA K|NGP|N?

@OP: That 1080ti would be fine. if you really want to get the best, EVGA offers the FTW lineup; I don't know the top of the line lineups from other AIBs off the top of my head. Don't go for things like the Galax HOF and EVGA K|NGP|N; those are excessively expensive because they are designed for insane LN2 overclocking. 

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

They should all pretty much be the same except for the clock speed and design of course. But don't worry about the clock speed, they're all around the same area and there isn't a noticeable difference anyway.

no u

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

Personally prefer the kingpin but it isn't as good as a purely air cooled card.

3 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

I'm building a custom gaming pc for my friend, and I really want to get the best parts I can. This is the 1080 Ti I have picked out that goes with the color scheme: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qTkwrH/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-sc2-elite-gaming-video-card-11g-p4-6693-k1

Here's the rest of the build so far, although I'll probably go with less fans: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Isabella_Shiri/saved/62RtJx

Short answer, no. Long answer depends, the higher end cards generally have more VRMs (they improve stability in over clocks and help with cleaning up power), cherry picked GPUs, and better coolers allowing for better OCs, allowing for upto 10% better performance. I would personally aim for EVGAs FTW3, but it is still rather expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR5X-Technology/dp/B06Y15DWXR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519797318&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+1080+ti+ftw3

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

There are air cooled KIngpIns.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Who the heck uses a K|NGP|N as an air cooled card!?

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

4 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Who the heck uses a K|NGP|N as an air cooled card!?

A surprisingly large number if pcpartpicker is to be believed.

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

There are air cooled KIngpIns.

I'm aware, the HOF has a better aircooler.

Though oof that thing is a beaut with its copper fins

8 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Short answer, no. Long answer depends, the higher end cards generally have more VRMs (they improve stability in over clocks and help with cleaning up power), cherry picked GPUs, and better coolers allowing for better OCs, allowing for upto 10% better performance. I would personally aim for EVGAs FTW3, but it is still rather expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR5X-Technology/dp/B06Y15DWXR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519797318&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+1080+ti+ftw3

Thank you 

11 minutes ago, Xiety said:

They should all pretty much be the same except for the clock speed and design of course. But don't worry about the clock speed, they're all around the same area and there isn't a noticeable difference anyway.

Thank you very much 

20 minutes ago, Damascus said:

It's also white but good luck buying one

Ya, I can't find one 

14 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

@OP: That 1080ti would be fine. if you really want to get the best, EVGA offers the FTW lineup; I don't know the top of the line lineups from other AIBs off the top of my head. Don't go for things like the Galax HOF and EVGA K|NGP|N; those are excessively expensive because they are designed for insane LN2 overclocking. 

Awesome, thank you 

5 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

Thank you 

Your welcome.

17 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

The only binned GPUs are kingpin and possibly hof, and an extra few MHz is not worth hundreds of dollars extra. That's at most a couple fps.

Everything else is silicon lottery.

More power phases do not help the GTX1000 series, neither does more cooling.

They are limited by the silicon lottery and the max oc will be the same regardless of what power delivery and cooling you have (unless it is some really bad cooling)

The only things which are important are the aesthetics and warranty and cooler performance, because a better cooler will let it run quieter.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

The only binned GPUs are kingpin and possibly hof, and an extra few MHz is not worth hundreds of doollars extra.

Everything else is silicon lottery.

More power phases do not help the GTX1000 series, neither does more cooling.

They are limited by the silicon lottery and the max oc will be the same regardless of what power delivery and cooling you have (unless it is some really bad cooling)

The only things which are important are the aesthetics and warranty and cooler performance, because a better cooler will let it run quieter.

There are other cherry picked models, and the 10 series does get hot enough to warrant a better cooler and VRMs. but you're right I would only go so far with those upgrades. That is why I recommend the FTW3.

3 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

There are other cherry picked models, and the 10 series does get hot enough to warrant a better cooler and VRMs. but you're right I would only go so far with those upgrades. That is why I recommend the FTW3.

But the performance doesn't change.

Whether you buy a founders edition with a crappy stock cooler or a ftw3 your max OC will be the same on average.

The only difference is that the founders edition will need to run the fan near max to keep from throttling.

But that's what I said, noise and aesthetics and warranty, the performance will be the same no matter what brand you buy from.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

neither does more cooling.

I disagree. GPU Boost 3.0 on 1060s (and AFAIK on other 10 series cards) will start limiting the GPU clock speed once the card reaches 60C.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

But the performance doesn't change.

Whether you buy a founders edition with a crappy stock cooler or a ftw3 your max OC will be the same on average.

The only difference is that the founders edition will need to run the fan near max to keep from throttling.

But that's what I said, noise and aesthetics and warranty, the performance will be the same no matter what brand you buy from.

Actually performance between an FE and a poseidon is 9%

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

I disagree. GPU Boost 3.0 on 1060s (and AFAIK on other 10 series cards) will start limiting the GPU clock speed once the card reaches 60C.

Then you just need to change the settings.

Spoiler

Just now, Damascus said:

Actually performance between an FE and a poseidon is 9%

Maybe in a sample size of one yeah.

On average they will all get the same max overclock.

This is because the cards are limited by the silicon lottery, not power delivery or temps.

If you take a FE and put a waterblock on it your max overclock remains the same.

If you compare the max overclock you can get on a FE or on an aftermarket it will be the same on average too.

For example all 1080s get between 2000 and 2200mhz regardless of how much cooling and power delivery they have.

You can get a FE that does 2175MHz and a lightning that gets 2100mhz.

It's all silicon lottery.

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Then you just need to change the settings.

Pascal BIOS's are pretty much impossible to modify.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Just now, sazrocks said:

Pascal BIOS's are pretty much impossible to modify.

No, like the fan curve and settings in afterburner or gpu tweak or whatever software you prefer.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No, like the fan curve and settings in afterburner or gpu tweak or whatever software you prefer.

Unless you keep the card under water keeping temps under 60C even at 100% fan speed while overclocking is very difficult with pascal cards.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.