Really the s9?

Rackooo

are they for real I mean why bring the Samsung galaxy s9 out in the first place. i just saw a vid on YouTube ( havent been following the whole s9 introduction) and firstly i thought the video was a joke.

so the only difference bettwen the s8 and the s9 is that camera (and some other software emoji nonsense), which imho is useless anyway.

is it really so important to bring a new phone out every year i mean what is the point if nothing has changed. i just hope Samsung isnt going on apples footprints with this nonsense, but it looks like just the case

People hardly use the top percentage of what their phone can do. Its CONSUMERISM!!!!!!

Look at you, you are spending $1000 on a fucking cell phone, look at you look at you look at you

arent you cool for never looking up from youre cell

arent you cool for texting and driving

arent you cool for texting and walking

man youre cool - BAM!!! Whoooops, please look up while you are walking because I walk straight and do not move out of peoples way, I actually walk towards you and love to scare you if not "accidentally" ;) run into you with my elbow up itching my cheek, hoping my elbow hits your head cuz I am 6'7" tall

youre right but still. they might as well only change the back colour would be more of an improvement than this s**t

1 minute ago, Rackooo said:

youre right but still. they might as well only change the back colour would be more of an improvement than this s**t

Look, its business, they will profit hugely from it

People are Lemmings!

I read some articles on the S9 features.  Meh, doesn't seem like it has enough to move me off my 7 Plus back to Android unless the camera benchmarks to being incredible (non-Google Android is so terrible by default that it would take *a lot* to sway me back to it).  Countdown to the iPhone 8S/9.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

i know they are in for the profit but they could at least remove a headphone jack or something haha. all jokes aside i think even the phone industry is on halt with development/new features. reminds me of the galaxy 5

4 minutes ago, Rackooo said:

i know they are in for the profit but they could at least remove a headphone jack or something haha. all jokes aside i think even the phone industry is on halt with development/new features. reminds me of the galaxy 5

I am rocking a 15 year old cell bruh! My Samsung S4 broke because I tried replacing digitizer/screen and it went south to the southern tip of South America where its windy and cold.

I put off upgrading to the S7 and S8... mostly because the camera on them was a downgrade/side grade to the S6. So I am more than ready to upgrade to the S9 due to it actually having a better camera. The rest isn't really that important, but the bigger 4k display is also appealing.

I mean when you pay monthly like most cell plans do now... what is another 15$ a month (with my deals). I can turn around and probably sell my s6 that is still in pristine condition for 150-250.. so I basically get the first year of this phone for free and I can upgrade phones ever year if I want.

I'd like to buy a borderless phone.

Then I remember almost every phone I've ever used has a cracked screen (6/7)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

There's a lot more than just the camera, which really, is quite an improvement over the last one.

• Newest Snapdragon 845; better battery life
  • Supports larger microSD cards
  • Stereo speakers
  • Fixed the positioning of the fingerprint reader

I mean yeah, it's not massively different design wise, but we're getting to the point where design is really quite locked in; how do you change a phone where the front is all screen? Move the cameras to a different position for no real reason? You also have to factor in the fact that people don't buy phones every year; as you can see from this thread alone, people held off the 8, and now the 9 makes more sense. Though personally if you still have a decent year old flagship at this point I think it makes sense to hold off and get a phone that supports 5G.

I upgrade yearly because for me, it makes the most sense. I get the newest phone, I get to test out different form factors to see which I like best, and I get the most return from the device I bought the year before.

44 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

People hardly use the top percentage of what their phone can do. Its CONSUMERISM!!!!!!

Look at you, you are spending $1000 on a fucking cell phone, look at you look at you look at you

arent you cool for never looking up from youre cell

arent you cool for texting and driving

arent you cool for texting and walking

man youre cool - BAM!!! Whoooops, please look up while you are walking because I walk straight and do not move out of peoples way, I actually walk towards you and love to scare you if not "accidentally" ;) run into you with my elbow up itching my cheek, hoping my elbow hits your head cuz I am 6'7" tall

Perhaps not, but you can get different features that you didn't have before when you buy a new device.

It's not all about the SoC ;)

I find it amusing when people mention how long one looks at their phone when they're out. It's not like I want to talk to them, whether or not I have a phone in my hand.

13 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I'd like to buy a borderless phone.

Then I remember almost every phone I've ever used has a cracked screen (6/7)

Sounds like you just need to be more careful :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

30 minutes ago, Rackooo said:

its not to make s8 people upgrade to an s9, but to have a 2018 model for the people who need a new phone.

at work i have the 2017 version of the galaxy A3, the only difference with the 2016 model is that the camera moved down about 4mm. does that mean we're getting rid of all 2016 models at the office? no, but the new model comes with a more recent version of android, and it includes all the minor things samsung has learned in the past year, but dont make it onto a spec sheet. in this example they didnt "just move the camera", but they changed the layout to for example fix a fault the last generation could have.

It's been like this for years. Every 6-12 months, it's just a spec bump, and every 2-4 years, it's a redesign. Everybody does it to keep up.

Even the ancient S6 is still a decent phone, and the S7 is great for its price.

I try to look at this trend in a positive light. It just means that I can be fairly current with a much cheaper, 2-year-old phone. That's a PLUS in my book because I'm never spending $1000 on a disposable smartphone!

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Ok the fact that its more of an upgrade for people with older phones is understandable. But still would think that it would be better in this time to wait for another year and make a phone that actualy delivers something fresh. I mean it was almost the same with s6 and s7, but stil i think that the s9 is more of a refresh of the s8 than a completely new phone.

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

Supports larger microSD cards

That's nothing too special though.

Any device which supports a microSDXC card support supports up to the 2TB maximum the standard allows for.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

16 hours ago, manikyath said:

its not to make s8 people upgrade to an s9, but to have a 2018 model for the people who need a new phone.

at work i have the 2017 version of the galaxy A3, the only difference with the 2016 model is that the camera moved down about 4mm. does that mean we're getting rid of all 2016 models at the office? no, but the new model comes with a more recent version of android, and it includes all the minor things samsung has learned in the past year, but dont make it onto a spec sheet. in this example they didnt "just move the camera", but they changed the layout to for example fix a fault the last generation could have.

I agree completely with this. It's just like graphics cards for your PC... just because they release new ones every year doesn't mean you HAVE TO BUY IT. Even if there are "slight" performance bumps. It's not always about "you" it's about those who may have not upgraded in a while and will actually see some gain/benefit for their money.

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

That's nothing too special though.

Any device which supports a microSDXC card support supports up to the 2TB maximum the standard allows for.

Not necessarily. I've had cheaper devices that don't work with larger cards. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, NinJake said:

I agree completely with this. It's just like graphics cards for your PC... just because they release new ones every year doesn't mean you HAVE TO BUY IT. Even if there are "slight" performance bumps. It's not always about "you" it's about those who may have not upgraded in a while and will actually see some gain/benefit for their money.

its about your newest product not being over a year old, in the most basic sense of the situation.

Well, I don't think many people expected a redesign after 10 months. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1