My GIANT Soundfont project

t9999clint

Here's a video showing it in action. Youtube and OBS has kind of butchered the quality of this, it sounds normally less muffled than this.

This is a 2GB large soundfont that I've been working on the past few months. I'm still working on this one a bit every now and then, mostly to try and get the size down.

The page with the changelog and whatnot is over here... https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=57273

This project is designed to make old videogames that use MIDI for their BGM sound better. I hope this helps a few of you guys here.

Here's a link to the latest version... https://downloads.kor.ninja/Music/korfontproject/KOR Soundfont - Complete - 1.2.7z

Edited by t9999clint
New version, updated link

With it being 2gb would it actually run on a retro machine? To my limited understanding the sound font has to be loaded into ram in it's entirety 

I've gotten around this by using the MIDI port on a soundcard and passing it though to my laptop.
Also Falcosoft MidiPlayer doesn't need to buffer the entire soundfont into ram (thank god).

It also works with DOSBOX if you follow these steps I use (DOOM as an example but it works with most games)...

https://youtu.be/ok2py3M3yuw?t=7m13s

Phil did a better video on this topic here...

Edited by t9999clint
made it easier to understand

Jeez and here I thought the 200 or so meg OPL-like soundfont I tend to use was large. :P 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I actually had about 500mb more worth of samples I wanted to cram into this but apparently my soundfont editing program will crash if I have the file any larger than 2gb. :(

Yea i use (forgot the name) a soundfont thats like 200-300mb and it does take a bit to load in but 2gb i think would murder my pentium 1 system lol.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yea i use (forgot the name) a soundfont thats like 200-300mb and it does take a bit to load in but 2gb i think would murder my pentium 1 system lol.

Yeah, windows 98 doesn't even support that much ram anyway, it'll just lock up if you even try.
It should work with FalcoSoft MIDIPlayer as that works with Windows 98 as well, but I doubt a P1 is fast enough to process the massive amount of instrument samples I used for this.

That being said, it's not designed to run directly on the old machine, it's designed to run on a newer machine to be used with either DOSBOX or some sort of MIDI adapter attached to the old system. Maybe it'll run with a XP system with 3gb ram and a SoundBlaster XFi but I haven't tried that yet.

So , it's for a very very specific kind of person you might say lol

1 minute ago, emosun said:

So , it's for a very very specific kind of person you might say lol

Yeah pretty much. Basically I made it for my own use, I just figured I'd share it for anyone else that might like to use it. Also it's pretty good for just playing MIDI files on your modern computer (What I use it for 90% of the time)

• 3 weeks later...

New version released. It's at 1.2 now, I fixed a bunch of issues with velocity and pitch. More details at the vogons forum link.

• 4 weeks later...

I changed a whackload of stuff with this soundfont.

Now with all it's parts combined it's over 4GB in size!!!

I've yet to see a soundfont bigger than this bad boy.