ssd in a 20 year old laptop?

Ashleyyyy

i've got a laptop from 1998 which i would like to put an ssd into. 

i use it for old games, and older software. it has windows 98 on it. 

it currently has it's original 4.3gb hdd in it, which has a date stamp of december 1998, and is very clicky and slow. 

can i put some sort of ssd in it? 

EDIT: i currently have a gigabyte free, so i'm perfectly fine with 4gb.  but not a lot smaller. 

She/Her

I know they did actually make SSDs for this interface. I've only ever seen one, so I'm not sure how easy they'd be to get.

Just to double check, can you remove the existing drive and get a photo of it?

That could be tricky. I'm not sure if it's possible to adapt ide to sata.

What interface does the drive use?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

23 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i've got a laptop from 1998 which i would like to put an ssd into. 

i use it for old games, and older software. it has windows 98 on it. 

it currently has it's original 4.3gb hdd in it, which has a date stamp of december 1998, and is very clicky and slow. 

can i put some sort of ssd in it? 

EDIT: i currently have a gigabyte free, so i'm perfectly fine with 4gb.  but not a lot smaller. 

For the money you will spend on an ssd you would be better off picking up a used by 2 to 4yr old one for 150... or even buying a new budget one for 350.

Save yourself the frustration and retire that thing.

20 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Just to double check, can you remove the existing drive and get a photo of it?

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

What interface does the drive use?

IMG_0055.thumb.JPG.56d3f7fd27b63d4307316d95ec821756.JPG

IMG_0047.thumb.JPG.a2aa61775e141148c9466e88d4b73e33.JPG

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

For the money you will spend on an sad you would be better off picking up a used by 2 to 4yr old one for 150... or even buying a new budget one for 350.

i'm only using it to run old software, windows 98 - DOS era. i have a modern laptop. look at my signature. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

For the money you will spend on an ssd you would be better off picking up a used by 2 to 4yr old one for 150... or even buying a new budget one for 350.

Such an old PC is likely for the purpose of running software that won't run on modern hardware/OSs.

Would a CompactFlash to IDE adapter be suitable?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

24 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Such an old PC is likely for the purpose of running software that won't run on modern hardware/OSs.

exactly. i use old windows 95/98 programs with it. 

24 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Would a CompactFlash to IDE adapter be suitable?

i just looked that up and it's perfect. i can get one of those and a 4gb cf card.. 

but what about the read/write cycles of those? 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i just looked that up and it's perfect. i can get one of those and a 4gb cf card.. 

The read/write cycles are probably going to be more dependent on the card itself rather than the interface. A CF card from a known-good brand is likely to be as reliable as a decent SSD drive, though results will likely vary here. For retro use however, it is easy to copy software onto these drives via your primary computer, and they're cheap enough where you can mirror an image onto several drives to keep on hand.

My eyes see the past…

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The read/write cycles are probably going to be more dependent on the card itself rather than the interface. A CF card from a known-good brand is likely to be as reliable as a decent SSD drive, though results will likely vary here. For retro use however, it is easy to copy software onto these drives via your primary computer, and they're cheap enough where you can mirror an image onto several drives to keep on hand.

and Windows 95/98 don't have a swap file i think. so that'll help. i don't think it would even use it, because 128mb ram is loads for what i use it for.. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

and Windows 95/98 don't have a swap file i think. so that'll help. i don't think it would even use it, because 128mb ram is loads for what i use it for.. 

I'm pretty sure those two used Swap as well. Fairly certain Windows ME did on my first PC.

My eyes see the past…

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'm pretty sure those two used Swap as well. Fairly certain Windows ME did on my first PC.

i looked it up, you can disable it on windows 98. and i installed win98 on my pentium 2 pc with 32mb ram once, and it did work. very slowly, but it did work. and that laptop has 128mb.. so it should be ok. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i looked it up, you can disable it on windows 98. and i installed win98 on my pentium 2 pc with 32mb ram once, and it did work. very slowly, but it did work. and that laptop has 128mb.. so it should be ok. 

I would keep it enabled anyway, if for nothing else but to reduce the probability of crashes. Don't think it will impact lifespan very much unless you're running close to the limit for a very long period of time.

My eyes see the past…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I would keep it enabled anyway, if for nothing else but to reduce the probability of crashes. Don't think it will impact lifespan very much unless you're running close to the limit for a very long period of time.

ì'll see. 

also, is there a way to clone the old drive to one of those adaptors? i don't really want to reinstall all my stuff. 

She/Her

The only obstacle I know of would be to have a PC with both an IDE interface as well as an interface for the card. An IDE to USB adapter may be used, though it would be easier to use an old desktop with the interface image the drive onto the CF card.

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

You might use old programs with it, but I am sure a lot of those programs have been upgraded to work on windows 10 (in their newest versions) and for those that haven't been there is this thing called virtualization. This means you can access to ALL of these old programs and your old OS all while being able to use a newer laptop and newer version of windows for everything else.

In that case adapters exist to make a sata drive work on an IDE connection, but space for it inside a laptop will be problematic. Maybe if you get one that is cord based and not board base it might work.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-IDE-to-SATA-or-SATA-to-IDE-Adapter-PC/141708386?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=4473&adid=22222222228107721903&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=233324240104&wl4=pla-383603147219&wl5=9019683&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113537598&wl11=online&wl12=141708386&wl13=&veh=sem

20 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

In that case adapters exist to make a sata drive work on an IDE connection, but space for it inside a laptop will be problematic. Maybe if you get one that is cord based and not board base it might work.

as @Zodiark1593 mentioned, a CF to IDE adaptor might be better. because as far as i know those are not bigger than a regular laptop hdd. and i only need a few gigabytes of data. 

She/Her