Transferring OS and specific programs/files from HDD to new SSD.

Hey, I'm going to be building a new computer soon and I'm on a budget. So what i've decided to do is buy a 1tb hard drive for when I initially build my computer and then upgrade to an SSD when I have the money. I know that i'll have to install windows to my hard drive, but when I decide to buy the SSD to put into my system, can I transfer just the OS to the SSD? I saw the data migration video on NCIXcom's channel and it mentioned how you could clone your existing HDD to your new Intel SSD. My question is, does your SSD have to be an Intel SSD in order to transfer your OS and do you have to clone the entire drive? I was hoping I could just clone/transfer the OS and some programmes like the adobe CC suite and maybe some games etc for faster loading times.

Thanks ,

Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

Hey welcome to LTT forums  :D

You wont be able to transfer select programs and OS elements from your HDD to an SSD. you could however clone it but that would copy it all and require a SSD larger than 1TB. My suggestion is get the 1TB save everything you need from now untill you build your pc and transfer files/installers over and reinstall windows on the SSD.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Hey, I'm going to be building a new computer soon and I'm on a budget. So what i've decided to do is buy a 1tb hard drive for when I initially build my computer and then upgrade to an SSD when I have the money. I know that i'll have to install windows to my hard drive, but when I decide to buy the SSD to put into my system, can I transfer just the OS to the SSD? I saw the data migration video on NCIXcom's channel and it mentioned how you could clone your existing HDD to your new Intel SSD. My question is, does your SSD have to be an Intel SSD in order to transfer your OS and do you have to clone the entire drive? I was hoping I could just clone/transfer the OS and some programmes like the adobe CC suite and maybe some games etc for faster loading times.

Thanks ,

Blueprint

Unfortunately a clone is all-encompassing, you're going to have to either do a fresh install on the SSD with the specific programs installed or just clone it all across.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

Ok, does it have to be an Intel SSD in order for me to clone the drive? And when I re-install windows to the new SSD, will I need a new activation key?

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB