Question about adding more Ram

Hi just wondering if someone can answer this stupid question I have.

I already have 2 rams of 4 G(total 8g) and want to add another 8 g to it.

Does it matter if it is 1 dimm or 2 dimm?

Is it better to just go 2? or 1 will make no difference?

Depends on your motherboard if it can flexibly handle one pair modules in dual channel. I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, had 2x4, added 1x8, worked out fine at the end, but it really falls down on your mobo.

2 minutes ago, Not so Guru said:

Hi just wondering if someone can answer this stupid question I have.

I already have 2 rams of 4 G(total 8g) and want to add another 8 g to it.

Does it matter if it is 1 dimm or 2 dimm?

Is it better to just go 2? or 1 will make no difference?

If you have 4 ram slots in your motherboard, you can add 2 more 4gb modules.

I wouldnt advise putting 2 x4 gb + 1x 8GB. Better to keep them in pairs of 4GB I think.

Purchase the exact same memory (manufacturer, type and speed) you had before, to avoid issues. Sometimes different types of RAM don't work well together.

depends on the underlying hardware to a certain degree, however populating 2 extra slots with 2 4gb dims is probably going to perform better in most cases.

if you already have 2 stick, i would advice adding 2 more sticks.

adding 1 more stick would disabled dual channel memory you already have.

7 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Purchase the exact same memory (manufacturer, type and speed) you had before, to avoid issues. Sometimes different types of RAM don't work well together.

This is irrelevant to the current setup. Dual channel work in pairs.

The speed will automatically matches the speed of the lowest stick.

But in general you won't see much performance difference vs single channel setup.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

20 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

if you already have 2 stick, i would advice adding 2 more sticks.

adding 1 more stick would disabled dual channel memory you already have.

This is irrelevant to the current setup. Dual channel work in pairs.

The speed will automatically matches the speed of the lowest stick.

But in general you won't see much performance difference vs single channel setup.

YEah but some people have issues with matching different RAM from different manufacturers (random reboots, blue screens, etc.) Some motherboards and RAM combinations of mixing just don't play nice with each other. It is just better to get the same RAM to avoid issues.

10 hours ago, maartendc said:

YEah but some people have issues with matching different RAM from different manufacturers (random reboots, blue screens, etc.) Some motherboards and RAM combinations of mixing just don't play nice with each other. It is just better to get the same RAM to avoid issues.

It's possible. But really rare nowadays. It is better to have the matching stick, but if you cannot find any, you probably wont have any problem mixing it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 2/17/2018 at 11:53 PM, SupaKomputa said:

It's possible. But really rare nowadays. It is better to have the matching stick, but if you cannot find any, you probably wont have any problem mixing it.

Yeah it is preferred, but if your RAM is a couple of years old, it will be hard to find matching RAM anyway (perhaps used?).

In which case, just get whatever, but I would still try to match the speed of the RAM. It will work at the slowest speed of the two. Don't get slower speed than the one you already have.