So I'm new here, whats this place generally like?

Aremis

General intro to me is I'm a hardware hacker running away from Level1Techs' forum.  Not many forums around that I think I'd be good with, hate reddit, but I thought "Hey what the hell lets actually try LTT".

So what's this place like most of the time?  I expect the usual debates of RX580 VS 1080ti's I see on other forums all the time but are there a lot of projects?  I like tackling old hardware and making it do crazy stuff (like making a pentium M play tekkit or running a BBS) and hacking android devices and iphones.  Is there much for that?  Many linux users or just generic windows users?  Seeing Linus' 1970's era PC chiller gave me some confidence that something crazy might happen on the forums every once in a while.  Otherwise I'm not sure what I'm doing here xD

hi

4 minutes ago, Aremis said:

General intro to me is I'm a hardware hacker running away from Level1Techs' forum.  Not many forums around that I think I'd be good with, hate reddit, but I thought "Hey what the hell lets actually try LTT".

So what's this place like most of the time?  I expect the usual debates of RX580 VS 1080ti's I see on other forums all the time but are there a lot of projects?  I like tackling old hardware and making it do crazy stuff (like making a pentium M play tekkit or running a BBS) and hacking android devices and iphones.  Is there much for that?  Many linux users or just generic windows users?  Seeing Linus' 1970's era PC chiller gave me some confidence that something crazy might happen on the forums every once in a while.  Otherwise I'm not sure what I'm doing here xD

hi

Welcome! It's usually a bunch of nerds talking about computer related stuff, pretty much what you expected. Make yourself feel at home. The popcorn ain't free though.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

get out now while you are still un-tainted

/s

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Just now, Railgun said:

get out now while you are still un-tainted

/s

Sounds great :P

here's a neat thread of a guy with a cool idea and lots of people pitching in with their ideas and opinions. IMO this is an example of the forum at its best

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Hi! Welcome to the LTT forums!

It's true, sometimes we'll have some fairly crazy things happening; been a while though. Overall, it's a pretty good community here. We're basically a bunch of nerds talking about computer stuff as @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito put it.

I share your enthusiasm for older hardware, I've got a couple older Athlon systems that I'm making into retro gaming systems(Windows XP for the win!).

Glad to see you on board, enjoy your stay!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Welcome to the forum! :D 

Here's a helpful guide for beginners:

And the CS:

-Moved to Off Topic-

Spoiler

@SansVarnic I am definitely not copying you :ph34r:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I share your enthusiasm for older hardware, I've got a couple older Athlon systems that I'm making into retro gaming systems(Windows XP for the win!).

XDDD  XP was the last windows I knew how to use so it doesn't seem that old to me.  I'm also very likely to use athlons still :P

Just now, Aremis said:

XDDD  XP was the last windows I knew how to use so it doesn't seem that old to me.  I'm also very likely to use athlons still :P

Nice! I have a dual Athlon MP 2000+ system(see signature) that I'm currently using, although I might switch to my Athlon 64 system. I don't have any Athlon chips later than the 3800+, although I have a Pentium 4 non-HT floating around somewhere...

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

There are a lot of glass and RGB fans around, miners and some sci-fi fans, cool forum

I'm into old hardware too, a lot of folks here don't like to repair or mod PSUs, they say "it's dangerous" but not me hah, did several mods already and all of them are safe

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

There are a lot of glass and RGB fans around, miners and some sci-fi fans, cool forum

I'm into old hardware too, a lot of folks here don't like to repair or mod PSUs, they say "it's dangerous" but not me hah, did several mods already and all of them are safe

Wow. Finally I found someone who like to mod power supplies. The only time I modded a power supply was to custom sleeve the cables for a friend of mines. People always claim that I could have killed myself that time.

19 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Nice! I have a dual Athlon MP 2000+ system(see signature) that I'm currently using, although I might switch to my Athlon 64 system. I don't have any Athlon chips later than the 3800+, although I have a Pentium 4 non-HT floating around somewhere...

See here's the problem is tha tI'm likely to look at an iBook G4 or a pentium 3 laptop and actually use that as a main machine for a few months at a time.

Just now, NQSD said:

Wow. Finally I found someone who like to mod power supplies. The only time I modded a power supply was to custom sleeve the cables for a friend of mines. People always claim that I could have killed myself that time.

"U kudda die no do dat u make ee vee gee ayylmao gods mad atchu"

Yeah I get that with.....  Well almost everything I do.

Just now, Aremis said:

See here's the problem is tha tI'm likely to look at an iBook G4 or a pentium 3 laptop and actually use that as a main machine for a few months at a time.

Whoa. I could barely stick with an A6-5400K @ 4.4Ghz for that long.

Props to you mate, I wouldn't be able to pull that off.

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Whoa. I could barely stick with an A6-5400K @ 4.4Ghz for that long.

Props to you mate, I wouldn't be able to pull that off.

I mean, I just learn how architectures work and optimise OS's for those chips.  Its not all that hard.  If I had an amiga A1200 running with a 3.1 kickstart and had OS 3.5 I could use that daily and be happy with it.

One of my favorite hobbies is learning processor architectures.

Hi! Welcome! Make sure you use the status update feature of the forums as well. I like to know what people are doing at all times.

Edit: I meant that slightly less creepier than it came out.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

Hi! Welcome! Make sure you use the status update feature of the forums as well. I like to know what people are doing at all times.

Edit: I meant that slightly less creepier than it came out.

o boi its like facebook but nerds

2 minutes ago, Aremis said:

o boi its like facebook but nerds

Yes, but slightly less fake news.

Welcome,

As mentioned we have a great community.

Just don't mind the Mod Team they tend to be needy. :P

35 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Reveal hidden contents

@SansVarnic I am definitely not copying you :ph34r:

;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This is a place where I post a lot about blue, leave, joins back, leave, joins back, and it is still blue

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

15 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I like to know what people are doing at all times.

Image result for warren stalker life is strange

YES YES YOU DO

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Welcome,

As mentioned we have a great community.

Just don't mind the Mod Team they tend to be needy. :P

;)

Not to shit talk, but it can't be as bad as the L1T mods.  They don't really do anything about any bugs or problems till something breaks the whole server or someone gets really obnoxious or racist.

1 minute ago, Aremis said:

Not to shit talk, but it can't be as bad as the L1T mods.  They don't really do anything about any bugs or problems till something breaks the whole server or someone gets really obnoxious or racist.

Breaking and fixing is @colonel_mortis 's job.

He is fabtabulous/fantastic at it.

The Mod Team and the Admins are pretty cool [I should know ... well at least that is what I'm told to say] lol.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Heya, welcome to the forums! Hope you'll enjoy your time here! 

Anyway, if you'd like to see some next level shitposting and "unintentional" rep boosting, feel free to join us in one of these stupidly long status updates ;)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Heyy.. Welcome to the forum ,  The place is generally friendly & inviting & be sure get a lot of angry pm's if you piss of a certain person who is being too fan boy , ignore that & it's a fantastic place , Mods are pretty unbiased & fair all of the time , occasional pissed off stuff here & there , but do report those as well & they 'll discuss those behavior with each others very fairly,  so no sharp tones or hardship & excessive controlling as a sort of bullying which some other forums tend to do. generally people are cool until flame wars & brand favoritism & politics start, but we've been through so much at this point we understand a fine line to discuss things of that sort, Very open spot to discuss tech topics & off topics , Dont expect too  much indepth solutions for troubleshooting since only a very few people in here are experts , general shenanigans are helped out by willing member easily & very quickly , one of the perks of the forum is that quick response most of the time.

Details separate people.