AI and Humans.

JustAStrangeGeek
1 hour ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Okay, aided evolution tailored perfectly to our needs the success of future humans. I know some people don't like the idea of being able to 'choose' how your baby is when it comes out. I respect that, but at the same time if we could use that to let's say be able to survive on Mars, it'd be very beneficial. I mean no disrespect by this next statement, but if we choose to live by the ones who were only in the past how are we to make a better future.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

3 hours ago, BadluckBrian said:

Okay, aided evolution tailored perfectly to our needs the success of future humans. I know some people don't like the idea of being able to 'choose' how your baby is when it comes out. I respect that, but at the same time if we could use that to let's say be able to survive on Mars, it'd be very beneficial. I mean no disrespect by this next statement, but if we choose to live by the ones who were only in the past how are we to make a better future.

Technology, both digital and analogue, are meant to be of assistant to humans and not a part of them.

The joy of having a child is that you don't know what it's going to be, that when it grows, it's something completely unique and unlike anyone else on earth. Choosing a child's behaviour, strengths, weaknesses and appearance, all at pre-birth, seems wrong. 

I dont know about you, but these 'superhuman' modifications to a person seem deadly. Think about it, technology, such as ICs, processors, NAND and DRAM chips all have a limited life span. I am not saying that these exact chips and processors will be used in these body modifications, but what happens at their end-of-use? Do you simply pass with it? Or is the technology smart enough to preserve a human before giving up?

In my books, the future should be filled with exciting new tech that is meant to be of assistance to humans and not to take over humans.

PS: It was recently discovered that Mars is uninhabitable due to its near -60C nights.

Imagine your successors being taught this in History at the 24th century:

Humans started off as grunting peasants, they knew nothing apart from eating grunting and hunting. 

They started to evolve and use tools such as stone, iron, bronze, etc.

humans developed languages, governance, ranking between other persons and trading as well as warfare.

Ancient Greeks made the first computer (they actually did! I know, it's amazing!) that operated by gears and cogs, that was used to analyse the heavens (universe).

Humans began to use and develop technology with it advancing significantly ever year.

From the start of the human race until the early 21st century, humans were stuck as their biological selfs, and could not choose who they were, only longing to imagine superhuman strength. They could not choose who they were or what they could do.

Now we can choose who we want to be and choose the personality of pets and of our PCs, we can now charge ourselves, instead of consuming animals and plants to gain energy and hurting the animal and plant balance that is in the world. Every vehicle, whether it be public or private, is autonomous for safety reasons (which I do agree on).

I know that this can sound completely bizarre and as an opinion to others, and it is totally so. But I just can't comprehend why you would want to be someone else apart from yourself (that rhymes). Why would you want to make bodily modifications to yourself when your genes are all an individual needs to grow and thrive?

I wouldn't be too worried about it, apart from implementation being a long way off in reality,  News articles and university blogs are renowned for making it sound like this shit is just around the corner when what they mean is they are excited that the potential exists, so long as they can over come those last 15 hurdles and convince the world it isn't unethical or immoral.

Besides if any of this actually works (CRISPR itself does, that's been a round for a few years now) on humans, we have cancer and quadriplegia to cure first. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I wouldn't be too worried about it, apart from implementation being a long way off in reality,  News articles and university blogs are renowned for making it sound like this shit is just around the corner when what they mean is they are excited that the potential exists, so long as they can over come those last 15 hurdles and convince the world it isn't unethical or immoral.

Besides if any of this actually works (CRISPR itself does, that's been a round for a few years now) on humans, we have cancer and quadriplegia to cure first. 

Yeah, it's probably not going to be for at least five years, but when the opportunity comes available. Our world that we know now will be changed into a world full of practices that are all concerning technology, and barely anything left that is considered human.

4 hours ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Yeah, it's probably not going to be for at least five years, but when the opportunity comes available. Our world that we know now will be changed into a world full of practices that are all concerning technology, and barely anything left that is considered human.

It's a matter of improving our lives and reducing disease and death, not about "staying human". It's a movement to change treatment, if you're worried about staying human then by all means do so but be prepared to be left behind by those who want to change doctors from saying the worst news to ever say to a little kids parents. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

6 hours ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Choosing a child's behaviour, strengths, weaknesses and appearance, all at pre-birth, seems wrong. 

So you'd rather have a child that's a psychotic serial killer or has severe autism?

You ask why would you ever want to change yourself.

I say you change yourself every day, with the things you learn, the food you eat, any medications you take, etc. At the end of the day, mechanical modification of the body is no different.

I say if you can make yourself better at what you enjoy, if you can help yourself and your offspring excel, if you can make yourself a better person and contribute more to the betterment of your species, why wouldn't you?

Over some traditionalistic notion of "humanity"?

Transhumanism and posthumanism can't come soon enough.

4 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You ask why would you ever want to change yourself.

I say you change yourself every day, with the things you learn, the food you eat, any medications you take, etc. At the end of the day, mechanical modification of the body is no different.

I say if you can make yourself better at what you enjoy, if you can help yourself and your offspring excel, if you can make yourself a better person and contribute more to the betterment of your species, why wouldn't you?

Over some traditionalistic notion of "humanity"?

Transhumanism and posthumanism can't come soon enough.

What I meant is why would you want you dramatically change yourself within a short period of time.

5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

So you'd rather have a child that's a psychotic serial killer or has severe autism?

Yep. I would rather that than not letting the child's genes naturally taking place.

6 hours ago, BadluckBrian said:

It's a matter of improving our lives and reducing disease and death, not about "staying human". It's a movement to change treatment, if you're worried about staying human then by all means do so but be prepared to be left behind by those who want to change doctors from saying the worst news to ever say to a little kids parents. 

I'm not concerned about what it can do, as it has benefits.  I'm concerned what it will be used for and if it can be controlled by individuals other than yourself.

14 minutes ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

What I meant is why would you want you dramatically change yourself within a short period of time.

Yep. I would rather that than not letting the child's genes naturally taking place.

I'm not concerned about what it can do, as it has benefits.  I'm concerned what it will be used for and if it can be controlled by individuals other than yourself.

Because time is a construct of the human intellect and is largely meaningless. Whether we evolve over 1000 years or 1 year, we evolve. The focus should be on improving ourselves, not on some arbitrary compliance to what's "natural" or "timely".

32 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Because time is a construct of the human intellect and is largely meaningless. Whether we evolve over 1000 years or 1 year, we evolve. The focus should be on improving ourselves, not on some arbitrary compliance to what's "natural" or "timely".

Yes, but in this way?

2 minutes ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Yes, but in this way?

In any way. Genetic engineering, implant augmentation, mechanical exosuits, robotic assistants. If we can make ourselves better, faster, stronger, smarter, why not?

I dont get why soo many ppl are worried about  AI taking out humans. As things are ATM we are choosing not to reproduce any more. We are humans are  following the same path as the mouse utopia experiments. 

If anything AI is our child, the next evolution of intelligence.

Every thing has a start, we had a good run, we have to accept the end. 

17 hours ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

PS: It was recently discovered that Mars is uninhabitable due to its near -60C nights.

Cold is one of the easiest things to fix. Parts of Antarctica average -55C in winter and the coldest temps recorded are -89.2C with a thermometer and -93.2C from a satellite measurement. cities in Canada and Russia deal with those (not the lasts two) temps with wind chill most winters.

Besides this -60C isn't a new finding. We've known Mars is cold for years.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

11 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

129958-004-C9B8B89D.jpg.dbdb9313c158f7452ef513cffb9abf65.jpg

Different Method, Same Goal.

19 hours ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Unless we find a way of terraforming it. 

I would much rather see humans take a dead planet and make it live than try and create some bastardised version of ourselves that can survive there.

I hate the notion that the answer is to adapt rather than overcome challenges.

27 minutes ago, Apepa said:

I would much rather see humans take a dead planet and make it live than try and create some bastardised version of ourselves that can survive there.

Agreed.

"X is going to change Y in a big way" clickbait title spotted. Would you like to

- Click

- Not Click

You have chosen Not Click. Continue? Y/N

Y

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

48 minutes ago, Energycore said:

"X is going to change Y in a big way" clickbait title spotted. Would you like to

- Click

- Not Click

You have chosen Not Click. Continue? Y/N

Y

Yeah. News articles just feel like their getting more 'clickbaity'

Just now, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Yeah. News articles just feel like their getting more 'clickbaity'

I fear that this change will shape our culture in the years coming, and that people will entirely stop paying attention to anything that isn't a bait, anything that doesn't have a buzzfeed-ified title. Because that would be a generation of people who only judge a book by its cover, and didn't ever develop the intellectual skills to read between the lines.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Apepa said:

From what I have learned and understood in life, the answer is to adapt AND overcome. I see nothing wrong with that. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

35 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

From what I have learned and understood in life, the answer is to adapt AND overcome. I see nothing wrong with that. 

We're not talking about your life, we're talking about the advancement of humanity.

You might get a better reception if you post that on Facebook along with a nice landscape photo.

The first gene changes that is going to take place in babies is the ones that cure them for sickness you can inherit from your parents.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking