Noctua NH-D15 and The 8700K

Majorpayne

Good Morning, 

I removed my 2600K and upgraded to a 8700K I still using my Noctua NH-D15 cooler. I noticed that temps were hitting low 80's under BF1 load. This concerned me and I did research and found that Asus turns on a feature by default called Asus Multi-Core Enhancement. I turned them off, I haven't attempted any Overclocking. Currently my processor has maxed out at 66 degree C and idles about 26-27. Are these temps the norm or is my Air Cooler not performing properly

I'm a fan of water cooling but I have not experience with it and as such I'm not going to "hope" that I do it right as for AIO's I have one (h100) and after 2 years it wasn't performing well.

what voltage does the cpu get?

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

For Intel, anything below 100 is fine, 90 is probably where you want to stay below during longer loads, 66 degrees is completely fine.

66C at stock is pretty good, the NH-D15 should see you off with perfectly fine temps

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Majorpayne said:

Good Morning, 

I removed my 2600K and upgraded to a 8700K I still using my Noctua NH-D15 cooler. I noticed that temps were hitting low 80's under BF1 load. This concerned me and I did research and found that Asus turns on a feature by default called Asus Multi-Core Enhancement. I turned them off, I haven't attempted any Overclocking. Currently my processor has maxed out at 66 degree C and idles about 26-27. Are these temps the norm or is my Air Cooler not performing properly

I'm a fan of water cooling but I have not experience with it and as such I'm not going to "hope" that I do it right as for AIO's I have one (h100) and after 2 years it wasn't performing well.

What MB are you using? How did you turn that off? Just got a Strix E and found my 8700K temps went up even tho still using the H100i V2.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

29 minutes ago, Nosfy said:

What MB are you using? How did you turn that off? Just got a Strix E and found my 8700K temps went up even tho still using the H100i V2.

There's a BIOS setting, I believe it is featured in every BIOS for Intel CPUs above Skylake.

OP: 66c is pretty good, usually you want your load temps to be in that region.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

what voltage does the cpu get?

with the ASUS experience i don't remember but currently 1.379 max

50 minutes ago, Nosfy said:

I'm using the Asus Z370 Tuf Plus, in the bios the setting is called Asus Multi-Core Enhancement and by default it's set to auto. 

21 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There's a BIOS setting, I believe it is featured in every BIOS for Intel CPUs above Skylake.

OP: 66c is pretty good, usually you want your load temps to be in that region.

1 hour ago, Sack said:

For Intel, anything below 100 is fine, 90 is probably where you want to stay below during longer loads, 66 degrees is completely fine.

52 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

66C at stock is pretty good, the NH-D15 should see you off with perfectly fine temps

Do you think if i OC a bit to like 4.5 that the Noctua will still be ok

Just now, Majorpayne said:

You should be, as long as it doesn't go past 90c at load.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Majorpayne said:

yep, should be

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Majorpayne said:

that's the problem. with my oc'ed i5-7600k at 4.8Ghz i use 1.28V, so you are definitely able to lower your voltage if you don't oc

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

38 minutes ago, Majorpayne said:

That's super-high voltage for stock clocks. You can probably drop it to 1.2V and be fine. Or even lower if chip is average or better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv