GTX 1060 3GB vs 6GB

Hello guys !

So I am saving some money to buy a prebuild PC, since I don't want to build it myself (im just lazy), and I am looking at some PC's in a website

here im my country ( I am from bulgaria). 

So from the looks of things im either going to get a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB or wait another 2 weeks and save up for a PC that has a Nvidia GTX 6GB.

So my question here is:  Is there really a gap between the performance of the 3GB variant and the 6GB one ?

I have seen some benchmarks and I dont see a big difference between the two variants, but I want to ask here in the forums, because I know that some of you have 

more knowledge and experience on GPU's.

Here are the specs of the first PC with the 6GB GTX1060 :

CPU: AMD FX-8300 8-Core (3.30 GHz up to 4.2GHz Turbo Speed, L2 8 MB Cache,L3 8MB Cache, 32 nm, 95W)

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 192bit

RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

And here is the PC that I need to save 2 weeks more in order to buy it: 

CPU :AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6 Core 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB DDR5

RAM: 8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4

I am just pasting the general infromation, but I can give you more if you want to learn about the other specs.

3GB of VRAM is not a problem yet, but it will be. Once you go over 3GB performance tanks as the system struggles to supply system RAM for graphics.

Right now is a bad time for buying GPUs in general and both cards have poor value at the moment.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I'm confused. The specs of the two machines shows the one with the worse GPU and better CPU, but you say you'd need to save a few more weeks to get the 6GB GPU. Which is it? The Ryzen system would be much better. Don't get an FX processor.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Get the Ryzen 5 1600 with the 1060 3Gb. You'll be losing a little bit on graphics performance, but Ryzen will last a lot longer than FX which is already trash for gaming.

There is a gap between them, but AFAIK it's not too big of a gap.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Get rhe one with the r5 1600. The fx cpus are pure crap and would heavily bottleneck the 1060.

It probably even bottlenecks a GT1030 LOL. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, DG Result said:

So my question here is:  Is there really a gap between the performance of the 3GB variant and the 6GB one ?

Yes.

The 1060 3GB has less CUDA cores compared to the 6GB version, so it's something like 10% slower.

As someone else mentioned, the difference in VRAM will become also more of a factor in the future, potentially limiting the lifetime of the 3GB.

But, out of the two choices you showed, I would get the Ryzen PC. Do not buy an FX processor :)

Edited by Apepa
Fixed typo

2 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

It probably even bottlenecks a GT1030 LOL. 

my celeron J1900 would beg to differ.

joking aside, its not as much the 3 vs 6GB vram, its that thr 3GB version is missing some cuda cores as well.

that said, as stated before, stay the hell away from AMD FX.. its old, its outdated, its slow, its hot. the only good thing left about amd FX is that they're somewhat cheap, but that concept's fading away as well.

Just to throw another coin into the well, I had an FX-8320 CPU and though it idled at around 10 degrees celsius (ambient was around 5-8 degrees celsius), it was still a steaming pile of.... Yeah. Go with the Ryzen. You'll have lower VRAM sure, but at least you won't be bottlenecked.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

my celeron J1900 would beg to differ.

joking aside, its not as much the 3 vs 6GB vram, its that thr 3GB version is missing some cuda cores as well.

that said, as stated before, stay the hell away from AMD FX.. its old, its outdated, its slow, its hot. the only good thing left about amd FX is that they're somewhat cheap, but that concept's fading away as well.

That ship has sailed. You can get an  r1200 or an i8100 for not much more than an FX8300, and they would both walk all over it. Its even handily beaten by a Kabylake Pentium.