HP tx1305us and ProBook 6475b Owners Wanted...

Hello there!

If you found your way here, it's hopefully due to one of the following reasons:

• You (already) own an HP ProBook 6475b (specifically)
  • You (already) own a laptop with a removable Trinity/Richland APU
  • You (already) own an HP tx1305us (specifically) or an AMD-based tx1000 series laptop
  • You (already) own a laptop with a removable Socket S1 (g1-g4 welcome) processor
  • You're (for some odd reason) interested in buying a laptop that is like what's listed above?

Please note that this thread is centered around HP business-class and consumer-class laptops that feature removable CPUs, removable RAM, and expansion bays/ports (like Expresscard). If your laptop does not meet at least one of these criteria, this is not the thread for your laptop. It needs to meet at least one of these criteria to be discussed here. 

With that out of the way, welcome to the legacy HP laptop thread! It's named as such because of how HP currently handles these products (especially when outside of warranty). If you're 'sporting' at least one of the aforementioned models (like I am), this is the place for you to be. I (hopefully along with others) will be giving accounts of personal usage and experience, pertaining to these laptops, along with tips and tricks about how I (attempt to) get the most out of these devices in daily use. Keep in mind, I am no expert in laptop technologies. For all intensive uses, this is simply a thread where users of the mentioned models/devices can help each other out. While you're here, you'l want to make a habit of sharing specs - so that we'll have a better picture of what's going on. If you're here for troubleshooting purposes, please use warranty-based options FIRST before coming here. This thread should be your last resort, for when all else fails and HP can't bring your laptop back up to par. Now that I got that off my chest, I am also obliged to bring up the fact that this thread is somewhat inspired by the following precursory content:

With the resources presented, you can tell exactly where this conversation is intended to go - the maintenance and upkeep of these (and similar) laptop models while running Windows Vista, 7, or 10 (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise, or other editions above Home). Can also include projects/mods involving these laptops if you're into that sort of thing. If you laptop is already in critical condition, this is probably not the place either - the links above are for laptops with issues that are fixable with custom BIOS versions (not involving fragged/damaged hardware). As such, if you need to stick your <insert hardware/part here> in the oven, this is not the thread for it. I'll go on and share my (somewhat paltry) specs below, in case anyone is interested:

• AMD A10-5750m (not ES)
  • 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SO-DIMM
  • 500GB HDD (5400rpm)
  • Windows 10 Pro (1703)
  • missing fingerprint reader and webcam

I'm done blabbing, so please tell your stories and experiences - or share a related question if you so chose...

I've used all of these machines, and or currently all of these machines. Sad thing is we can't really configure them as the DoD/DHA sends us like low spec, along with a stupid life cycle policy.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

5 hours ago, Icuw1pc said:

I've used all of these machines, and or currently all of these machines. Sad thing is we can't really configure them as the DoD has warranty specs enforced, along with a stupid life cycle policy.

I'm not the smartest person on this forum (just a quick warning). So, some terminology went over my head :| 

Please define DoD. Also, I might be able to help you, depending on what the issue is...

5 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

I'm not the smartest person on this forum (just a quick warning). So, some terminology went over my head :| 

Please define DoD. Also, I might be able to help you, depending on what the issue is...

You will not! :D They have strict guidelines and there isn't any "play" in them either. Definitely one of more frustrating things about working in IT for the government. 

DoD = Department of Defense 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Oh - I see. :| 

I'm currently in the midst of a new initiative (personal standard for all of my devices). It requires me to replace a decent amount of my current devices, but that's just due to lack of performance and/or features:

• CPU - at least 4 cores, removeable
  • RAM - 800MHz or higher, 8GB minimum capacity
  • GPU - either CUDA enabled (for hardware accelerated workloads) or AMD (for casual use)
  • Must have at least 1 USB 3.X port
  • Must have high-speed expansion options (ie., Expresscard, mPCI-e, or Thunderbolt)
  • Should (not required to) have Ethernet (CAT4 or higher), and a designated port for external displays
  • Preferable to have an optical drive (not required)
  • At least Windows 10 Pro or better

As you can see (from my current User Profile and the OP), 2/3 Windows machines in my current inventory meet the standards. Still working on acquiring a 3-core (below 70W TDP) for my tx1305us. It's a real room heater, and could also use some better RAM (DDR2 PC2-6400 - 8GB). The thing has an Exprescard slot, but something tells me that HP wouldn't like eGPU working on that...

P.S. I have 2 MacBooks - they don't follow these standards, and will be held to a different criteria (undisclosed).

Edited by TopHatProductions115
missed a few...

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2018 at 4:59 PM, Icuw1pc said:

You will not! :D They have strict guidelines and there isn't any "play" in them either. Definitely one of more frustrating things about working in IT for the government. 

DoD = Department of Defense 

Why doesn't the DoD ever use better spec's for these things? The dual-core CPUs are abysmal in terms of performance and overall responsiveness. The laptops feel relatively terrible when left with the lowest configs...

Edited by TopHatProductions115
Grammar/spelling...