Xbox One or PS4 User?

Xander Cousins

Xbox One or PS4 Player?   

37 members have voted

1. 1. Xbox or PS4 User

23 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And only a hand full of exclusives...

The best Console is totally useless if there aren't any great games.

The WiiU was OK, though 5 years (or more) too late and too expensive but the Games you can play on it that are great are something like 5 or so...

And the one X is around 450€, the PS4 PRO at 100€ less (350€)...

And has more exclusives than the Xbox...

And yeah, I had the XBox 360 a generation before. Was pretty quiet but the PS3 had the more interesting exclusives at the end of its lifetime...

All personal preference IMO - I don't care much for exclusives to begin with and the multi-platform stuff is better on XBOX.

Follow me on Twitch! - Twitch.TV/PedenPants

Gaming Rig

Core i7-6800k @ 4.0 GHZ | 16 GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | WD Black NVMe 256 GB | WD Blue 1 TB | Acer 24" 144 HZ XFA240 | ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 8 GB

Streaming Rig - Dell Inspiron i7559

15.6" 1920x1080 | Intel Core i5-6300HQ @ 3.2GHZ | 16 GB DDR3-12800 | 256 GB SSD | Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB

8 minutes ago, Tearitup said:

All personal preference IMO - I don't care much for exclusives to begin with and the multi-platform stuff is better on XBOX.

And yes, while the One X is $100 more expensive, it also has a newer generation, larger GPU, a faster CPU, more RAM, and a UHD 4K Blu-Ray player. So you definitely get a bit more for that extra cost. And the cost should come down eventually to meet the PS4 Pro - it's only been out for what, less than 4 months? It's still launch price basically.

It's all personal preference. If one likes the PS4 controller and/or the PS4 exclusives? Get a PS4. If one prefers the XBOX controller and/or exclusives? Get an XBOX.

Outside of that, disparaging someone for choosing one or the other is silly and does nothing to foster the growth and community of gaming in general.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Outside of that, disparaging someone for choosing one or the other is silly and does nothing to foster the growth and community of gaming in general.

I agree the topic was more to see why people picked one over the other because majority of the people I talk to just say oh this consoles better than that one. Like you said it is just based on your preference and the aim of the topic was to see what was the selling point for getting said console. 

At the current moment in time majority of you guys got the PS4 due to exclusives being offered and the ones who got the xbox was people who have just enjoyed the console for different reasons. 

Which brings me to an answer that majority of purchases have been influenced by the content available for said console of the fact of friends of previous console purchase route.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

And yes, while the One X is $100 more expensive, it also has a newer generation, larger GPU, a faster CPU, more RAM, and a UHD 4K Blu-Ray player. So you definitely get a bit more for that extra cost. And the cost should come down eventually to meet the PS4 Pro - it's only been out for what, less than 4 months? It's still launch price basically.

I can't imagine Microsoft is making any profit out of each sale of the XBox One X considering the bigger gpu and the 12GB GDDR5, so I'd be surprised to see a price drop until RAM prices cool off. When you look at the cost of building a PC now the X is definitely a great alternative as you're getting a lot for $500.

44 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I can't imagine Microsoft is making any profit out of each sale of the XBox One X considering the bigger gpu and the 12GB GDDR5, so I'd be surprised to see a price drop until RAM prices cool off. When you look at the cost of building a PC now the X is definitely a great alternative as you're getting a lot for $500.

Yes it's hard to build a PC using new hardware at that price - especially once you factor in the cost of a legit retail Windows license. You'd have to go used to even attempt to match the price, and even then, with used GPU prices being rather high, that might not even be doable.

Though for Microsoft, their bulk pricing is going to be a lot more competitive than what we pay. I would imagine they're making a small amount of profit on the One X currently. Given it's only ~4 months old, I don't expect a price drop until the fall at earliest (Perhaps we'll see some aggressive Black Friday deals, for example).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I stick with Sony for now.

Fact based:

Microsoft launched the XBOX One in such a way that made them look greedy & power hungry immediately turning me off.

Always on DRM & XBOX Live Gold still make me spontaneously release disgusting substances from every hole lol

Somewhat opinion based:

What really is a big plus (for me) you can easily upgrade the HDD. (I have a mix of download & physical releases, depends on how impatient/lazy I am the day I buy my game)

While at this point Sony also requires you to have PS Plus, maybe they would have kept it optionally if Microsoft didn't cash grab We shall never know

Opinion based (edit):

Most of the people I play with use Sony's systems (PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 3)

Prefer the DualShock controllers, although being honest battery life on the DS4 is just abysmal compared to my DS3.

I also like the exclusives & UI.

What I tried from them (gaming console wise) I found quite lackluster, XBOX 360 didn't do it for me. Especially when they made the Dash look like a advertising billboard.

I do have to be honest and say I've enjoyed PlayStation since the PlayStation 1/2 days. So I could be a little biased on design & such, that is why I do not take that into account in this post.

Edited by Sfekke
Added a heap of information & opinions.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

23 hours ago, Sfekke said:

What really is a big plus (for me) you can easily upgrade the HDD. (I have a mix of download & physical releases, depends on how impatient/lazy I am the day I buy my game)

umm don't know if this is for Playstation or Xbox One. If you are talking about upgrading the internal HDD then i understand what you mean but compared to the Xbox being able to have multiple drives to store games on where Sony only got that recently if i recall. I Think i saw a post about Sony consoles being able to have a secondary drive for storing games on and not just media. Please correct me if i'm wrong. 

This series of consoles seem to be mixed between Physical and Download releases because my Xbox would be similar having to go through Disc's or just the digital library. 

23 hours ago, Sfekke said:

What I tried from them (gaming console wise) I found quite lackluster, XBOX 360 didn't do it for me. Especially when they made the Dash look like a advertising billboard.

The billboard thing was odd to say the least it wasn't that when originally launched think it changed to that when ugh windows 8 UI came out. To do about UI it completely comes do to personal preference because as i know how to navigate both UI's now it was annoying for Playstation due to me not using the previous consoles so it was a pain to start using but got use to it fast which most likely is the same when it come to Playstation players using the Xbox UI. Since they are massively Different.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

1 minute ago, Alex Colson said:

The billboard thing was odd to say the least it wasn't that when originally launched think it changed to that when ugh windows 8 UI came out. To do about UI it completely comes do to personal preference because as i know how to navigate both UI's now it was annoying for Playstation due to me not using the previous consoles so it was a pain to start using but got use to it fast which most likely is the same when it come to Playstation players using the Xbox UI. Since they are massively Different.

If I wanted to I could probably get used to it, but hey for me personally there was no reason to do so.

1 minute ago, Alex Colson said:

umm don't know if this is for Playstation or Xbox One. If you are talking about upgrading the internal HDD then i understand what you mean but compared to the Xbox being able to have multiple drives to store games on where Sony only got that recently if i recall. I Think i saw a post about Sony consoles being able to have a secondary drive for storing games on and not just media. Please correct me if i'm wrong. 

This series of consoles seem to be mixed between Physical and Download releases because my Xbox would be similar having to go through Disc's or just the digital library. 

You are right here, as far as I'm aware a PS4 can only have games stored internally.

XBOX One can have it on an external drive.

I wouldn't do this because it'd make it look more messy, I prefer a minimal amount of cables & things sitting on top of my systems/desk.

Like I said before, most of the console war is just preference.

I ain't saying one of them clearly wins here when it comes down to the end user experience, since that depends .. well on the end user.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

2 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

You are right here, as far as I'm aware a PS4 can only have games stored internally.

I wouldn't do this because it'd make it look more messy, I prefer a minimal amount of cables & things sitting on top of my systems/desk.

Eh i have a 2tb HDD connected but mine is in the cubby hole so it doesn't look messy

9 hours ago, Alex Colson said:

Anyway @Sfekke If you look at the above post. I think we both have our answer on external storage uses for Games. And please correct me if i'm wrong so you got the PS4 purely due to Exclusives and UI correct?

Exclusives - UI - Previous experiences with Sony Consoles being great - and a big one being everyone I play on console with uses it. (Nobody has an XBOX. Some are starting to buy Nintendo Switches though I'm holding out for a little longer)

Another minor factor being that I'm just not feeling the need to change due to my good track record with Sony consoles.

None of them left me down ..except the PS Vita.

Being honest, I did look into the XONE, because Sony royally screwed over the PS Vita. But ended up going with what I know & so far it served me well.

If important I'll list all Sony consoles I used :

• PlayStation 2 Slim - Had 2 of them in total, sold 1 still have 1.
  • PlayStation 3 Super Slim 500GB & 12GB (Upgraded HDD to 500GB) - Have 2 of those, still have both.
  • PlayStation 3 Fat - Still have it, using CFW for PS2/PS1 & other emulation (no piracy, backups & for ease of use.)
  • PlayStation 4 Fat Tactile buttons & non glossy HDD cover, last in the fat line. - Still have it.

List of Microsoft consoles being pretty short :

• XBOX 360E 250GB - Sold it after it gathered for 1 year.

If you'd like some more information, happy to provide it :)

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

For the average user, being able to plug in 2 external HDD's at once to hold their entire game library is going to be far more useful than being able to user swap the internal HDD. Only a tiny segment of PS4 users are ever going to replace the internal drive.

Though, being able to replace the internal drive is good.

Have to agree with @dalekphalm here.

Although my brother (a non tech savvy gamer) ended up doing the upgrade himself.

I think it depends on who you are, some might be scared to void the warranty. He called up Sony & just asked.

As far as I know 3 people out of the 7 people I know that own a PS4 replaced their HDD with a 1TB drive or more. That isn't including me or my brother.

Pretty minor group indeed, but I'd rather have the option to cheap out at the start & get a good HDD with more storage if needed. If the console flops having 2TB's is worthless .. aham PS Vita .. proprietary Memory cards ..  

Sorry for the doublepost, just noticed I sent the other one already.

Mod would it be possible to merge? 

My apologies!

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

On 2/26/2018 at 10:45 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Maybe try the settings Digital Foundry is running it at:

Hey, awesome, thanks for the info!

Hmmm 

I can't answer the poll. I have both, along with a Switch and decent PC :P Even recently upgraded from S to X. I think the only major modern gaming thing I haven't invested in yet is VR. I got the PS4 first and then the Xbox One S when they launched. Like others, the original, Kinect incarnation of the Xbox One wasn't appealing to me. MS has been righting the ship. They can't catch up, but at last owners should be more happy with the platform. I know I am, which is why I bought it. The pros and cons for me today,

Xbox One

+ I played a lot of Xbox 360, so the backwards compatibility is very appealing. This started rough, but now the fact is that games are enhanced to some extent, and a select few even X enhanced. It doesn't replace my 360, but if this keeps up, they'll be diminishing reasons to keep it hooked up or get replaced should it break.

+ I invested to a much smaller extent the original Xbox, but that recent start of that backwards compatibility is still very appreciated. That console is more likely to fail on me sooner than the 360. Ninja Gaiden Black and Star Wars KOTOR is a nice start! Especially KOTOR since that ran terribly on 360.

+ Game Pass and EA Access. I live in Hawaii so mail game rentals like Gamefly are too slow due. I love Game Pass (EA is less appealing to me since I already bought the stuff I'm most interested in; but with them adding some WB games to Origin Access, I wonder how the EA Access line with be bolstered in the future). Especially with future MS exclusions being on it from launch!

+ UHD BD player on S and X. I don't think the resolution boost is that big of a deal for movies (at least on a 55" screen), but HDR can be stunning. YMMV based on your visual acuity and TV size.

+ Better 4K-ish gaming with the X than PS4 Pro. I don't have a 1080 Ti, so both my PC and X struggle to give native 4K, but do a better job than the PS4 Pro. The default is for me to go PC for a game, but when a PC port is botched, then this is the console I'll go to now that I have the X. (An example is the unstable Nier: Automata on PC, so I went with PS4)

+ MS franchises. I love me some Gears of War, Halo and Forza.

+/- Play Anywhere. I don't know if this is good or bad. Neat to have the option to play on PC as well, but it does eliminate true exclusives. But with all the above, I still find great appeal to the Xbox One.

- Could use more Xbox/Windows exclusives. Particularly Japanese games, but the console does terrible in that country, so what can you do? Buy them like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon in the early 360 life I guess.

- Interface is slow and clunky compared to the snappy PS4 and Switch. The digital store doesn't even support a wishlist to track things I'm interested to easily see if they're on sale and whatnot.

Playstation 4

+ The original primary reason I have a PS4. Japanese games. Particularly JRPGs, one of my fav genres. This has greatly diminished though. A lot are increasing available on other platforms (PC, legacy support to PS3, or Switch) like Persona 5, Nioh, Atelier, Ys, Nier: Automata. Granted the other platform may not as stable and performant or you'll have to wait a year (of course you don't know this when a game first launches like Nioh). So in retrospect, I think at this point, the only game I'd miss if I didn't have a PS4 is Bloodborne. I think Kingdom Hearts III remains exclusive. But I haven't played a KH game since II, so at this point, I feel like I could go the rest of my life without playing another LOL Because of this, I see this console at the bottom of my personal totem pole at this point for this gen. Unless I get blown away with the next bullet point.

+ VR. As I said I'm not invested in this yet. It is cheaper than the PC counterparts so this is probably the VR solution I'd do first. Plus RE VII is VR exclusive here.

+ Sony exclusives. I personally don't like them as much as the MS ones, but God of War and Naughty Dog games are great

- Death of backwards compatibility. Continues from PS3, which later dropped PS2 support. My interest in JRPGs has been reinvigorated in recent years, so not having access to PS2 JRPGs in particular (since my PS2 optical drive is near death) through official means is sad. The digital PS2 games on PS4 is also minimal vs PS3 and seems to have been put to rest with no recent releases.

- Not as good 4K-ish gaming, as noted earlier

- Playstation Now. Concept is cool like Xbox Game Pass. But since I live in HI, too laggy. They could introduce a Game Pass like thing in the future though, which would still be distinct from Now that is focused on PS3 (and was supposed to go farther back than that...)

On 2/28/2018 at 4:51 AM, Sfekke said:

You can use an external HDD on PS4 and format it to store games. I have a 4 TB portable USB drive attached to mine (overkill, but that's what I had on hand to try it out... but then I never disconnected it yet haha). I can't even see it since it is connected and sits behind the console, and is obscured by the shelf above it that holds my TV.

1 hour ago, ono said:

The default is for me to go PC for a game, but when a PC port is botched, then this is the console I'll go to now that I have the X. (An example is the unstable Nier: Automata on PC, so I went with PS4)

at holds my TV.

What gpu are you rocking? I have NieR Automata on both my PC and PS4 and the gameplay is much cleaner on my GTX 970 using the FAR mod. It eliminates all the crashes and there was one setting only accessible through FAR that made a night and day difference in framerate. Global illumination I think. But with that at medium and everything else high/ultra I could pull a locked 60 fps on my PC at 1080p with a GTX 970 while the frame drops could be pretty bad on my PS4 Slim. I know the Pro improves on the framerate a bit but from Digital Foundry's test videos it still looks like the Pro drops a ton of frames too. It's a crap port for sure on PC but with a decent gpu and the FAR mod it's still better than console IMO.

2 hours ago, ono said:

I think Kingdom Hearts III remains exclusive. But I haven't played a KH game since II, so at this point, I feel like I could go the rest of my life without playing another LOL Because of this, I see this console at the bottom of my personal totem pole at this point for this gen. Unless I get blown away with the next bullet point.

Kingdom Hearts III will be on XBox One also.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Hearts-III-Xbox-One/dp/B00DBF80L2

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it get a PC release a year later also, just like Final Fantasy XV. For me Sony and Nintendo are musts for Japanese games. Sony for Persona and Yakuza especially, Nintendo for Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda, Mario, and Bravely Default.

I am only a PS4 Slim user at times as I had to sell off my Xbox One S to pay off some debt.  Right now despite having just the PS4 Slim in regards to new consoles I use my Xbox 360s, PS3s and the PC far more than I do the PS4.  It isn't even close.  Heck I borrow the latest COD game from the library for 3 weeks now and still haven't played it because I just don't like using the console. Heck I don't even like using the PS3s that much as the interface for PS consoles is horrible.

23 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What gpu are you rocking? I have NieR Automata on both my PC and PS4 and the gameplay is much cleaner on my GTX 970 using the FAR mod. It eliminates all the crashes and there was one setting only accessible through FAR that made a night and day difference in framerate. Global illumination I think. But with that at medium and everything else high/ultra I could pull a locked 60 fps on my PC at 1080p with a GTX 970 while the frame drops could be pretty bad on my PS4 Slim. I know the Pro improves on the framerate a bit but from Digital Foundry's test videos it still looks like the Pro drops a ton of frames too. It's a crap port for sure on PC but with a decent gpu and the FAR mod it's still better than console IMO.

GTX 1080. I'm sure it'll look and run at a great fps, but I was turned off from all the crashing reports, which I've seen on Twitch streams and such. I just wanna play the game and not deal with troubleshooting and using other fan mods to do the devs' job for them. Ugh. One reason why I do both PC and consoles to have options.

Anyway, turns out I really like the game, so I will probably get the PC version on a good sale price point in the future and put the effort in to getting it run on a future replay.

22 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Kingdom Hearts III will be on XBox One also.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Hearts-III-Xbox-One/dp/B00DBF80L2

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it get a PC release a year later also, just like Final Fantasy XV. For me Sony and Nintendo are musts for Japanese games. Sony for Persona and Yakuza especially, Nintendo for Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda, Mario, and Bravely Default.

Ah. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised with PC then. They also did the FF XII remaster and WoFF as well. Just need to wait another year. What's another year of waiting since KH II anyway? lol

I might double dip on FFXV since it has all this extra content that if bought separately on my existing PS4 copy would cost close to the same as getting it fresh on PC.

I have a pc an xbox 360 and now a ps4

i Bough the ps4 because the exclusives interest me,  I could by a ton games for cheap (last of us was 18 dollers and deus ex man kind divided was 9 dollers) I wanted something I could use to stream netflix and hulu on my tv and I missed being able to sit on a couch and play games.

I bought the slim since I cant justify spending 400 dollers, I mean sure I have a 970 in my pc but that was through an evga upgrade program so I only paid about 150  at the time

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |