Modi 2 Uber and Magni 3 or Sound BlasterX AE-5?

Sabir
Go to solution Solved by Dackzy,
7 hours ago, Sabir said:

But if modi 2 uber + magni 3 is available in my country i would definitely buy it because just like he explained @Dackzy . So i recommend you if you want to buy go for modi 2 uber and magni 3.Before I heard it from few people they choose modi 2 uber+magni 3 over sound card. And i heard sound card can be mess up with some hardware electricity distortion etc and make it noise when you heard music etc. It can be bother you. But i think it's depending on motherboard if you have bad mobo then in can be happene. Which problem is you don't need to worry about modi 2 uber and magni 3. @PrometheanCat2

well it depends on more than your mobo, you other compoments also affects it. The main thing is the PSU, if that is low quality and can't send out clean power, then I can basically gurantee you that you get noise.

The thing is if you sit with like HD 558 or 598, then the difference between modi+magni vs AE5 will be very minimal, if it is there at all, the difference becomes bigger with k612 and then bigger again with HD600 and bigger again with HD 800. 

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

I would stay away from yamha studio monitors, they tend to easily sound a bit hollow. For the 308 vs 305, the 308 is a tad more refined, but it also has quite a bit more bass than the 305, but it isn't as precise.

Unless you buy surround sound movies, then they are also stereo. Game music is also stereo, same goes for soundtracks. Like there is maybe like 1/100000 that is surround sound.

Unfortunately big Problem is LSR 305 this type of speakers and Modi 2 uber + Magni 3 is not available in my country. :( But Logitech Z906 , Logitech Z-5500 and Razer Leviathan is available. OK if you have one option to choose between 1)Logitech Z906 5:1 sound surround  ,

2)Logitech Z-55000 5:1 ,

2) Razer Leviathan 5.1 surround sound and  4) Creative Sound BlasterX Katana. Which one would you choose? Because they are available in my country. Can you please check they are specific  and they are ability and tell me the alternative choice. Which one is better build , solid , long lasting and best for games , movies and music? Thanks in advance. 

49 minutes ago, Sabir said:

Unfortunately big Problem is LSR 305 this type of speakers and Modi 2 uber + Magni 3 is not available in my country. :( But Logitech Z906 , Logitech Z-5500 and Razer Leviathan is available. OK if you have one option to choose between 1)Logitech Z906 5:1 sound surround  ,

2)Logitech Z-55000 5:1 ,

2) Razer Leviathan 5.1 surround sound and  4) Creative Sound BlasterX Katana. Which one would you choose? Because they are available in my country. Can you please check they are specific  and they are ability and tell me the alternative choice. Which one is better build , solid , long lasting and best for games , movies and music? Thanks in advance. 

don't you have any audio stores in Bangladesh? I would recommend going to one and just testing speakers then. It is hard to find a speaker that is worse than the ones you listed.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

don't you have any audio stores in Bangladesh? I would recommend going to one and just testing speakers then. It is hard to find a speaker that is worse than the ones you listed.

I don't think so bro. It's all have different area. :( Here is some speaker i found for you bro @Dackzy . It took me few hours.  Check it out. And let me know if it's great. :) 

(6 link here)

1) http://m.bdstall.com/details/edifier-r2600-home-studio-monitor-speakers-with-studio-6-15391/

2) http://multimediakingdom.com.bd/product/edifier-r2730db-studio-monitor-speaker/

3)http://multimediakingdom.com.bd/product/edifier-s530d-multimedia-speaker-system/

4) http://multimediakingdom.com.bd/product/edifier-s350db-multimedia-bluetooth-speaker/

5) http://multimediakingdom.com.bd/product/e-mu-xm7-bookshelf-speakers-creative/

6) http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-6.html

5 minutes ago, Sabir said:

Edifier speakers are usually okay/good budget speakers. Though I haven't tried the ones you have linked. My guess would be that the EDIFIER R2730DB are the best ones.

The E-MU speakers would require a speaker amp, a headphone amp like the magni 3 cannot power those speakers.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Edifier speakers are usually okay/good budget speakers. Though I haven't tried the ones you have linked. My guess would be that the EDIFIER R2730DB are the best ones.

The E-MU speakers would require a speaker amp, a headphone amp like the magni 3 cannot power those speakers.

Thank you. And What about this one?

http://multimediakingdom.com.bd/product/edifier-s730-multimedia-home-theater/ 

1 minute ago, Sabir said:

the sub is nothing but a noise box, it won't really do bass that well. I would say it is smarter to get a good 2.0 system first and then add a sub later

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

the sub is nothing but a noise box, it won't really do bass that well. I would say it is smarter to get a good 2.0 system first and then add a sub later

What is the difference between JBL LSR305 and JBL LSR308? 

This one looks best competition. What you think? 

41 minutes ago, Sabir said:

What is the difference between JBL LSR305 and JBL LSR308? 

This one looks best competition. What you think? 

Higher detail level and more refined sound. You can't use those sound demos for anything, like nothing at all. The mic used to record is going to color the sound, the A/D being used will also change the sound and then we have your onboard and headphones, they will also change the sound. There is also a lot of things like detail level, tightness and how refined things are, these will simply not show up in such a video.

21 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Higher detail level and more refined sound. You can't use those sound demos for anything, like nothing at all. The mic used to record is going to color the sound, the A/D being used will also change the sound and then we have your onboard and headphones, they will also change the sound. There is also a lot of things like detail level, tightness and how refined things are, these will simply not show up in such a video.

This Edfier S2000 pro is expensive than LSR 305. Should i buy LSR 308 over LSR 305 if i find it or go for this Edfier S2000 pro it's have very good rating and review. What's your opinion?

12 hours ago, Sabir said:

This Edfier S2000 pro is expensive than LSR 305. Should i buy LSR 308 over LSR 305 if i find it or go for this Edfier S2000 pro it's have very good rating and review. What's your opinion?

It depends, if you want some more bass and don't really care too much about your speakers being as precise as possible, then get the 308 and at the same time the sound also becomes a tad more refined. For your size room the 305 is going to be the most precise speaker, so get that if you want that. Get the edifier if you can't find the JBL speakers.

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

It depends, if you want some more bass and don't really care too much about your speakers being as precise as possible, then get the 308 and at the same time the sound also becomes a tad more refined. For your size room the 305 is going to be the most precise speaker, so get that if you want that. Get the edifier if you can't find the JBL speakers.

Thanks for your every help. And you are so damn right in my budget JBL LSR305 is the beast and top of the line. I saw so many videos on yesterday Jbl compared with Yamaha and krt rokit most of people saying jbl is the winer no bad review about this speaker. And i heard some music it's so clean and amazing .  Shit it's not available my shitty country i hate it. I would 100% buy it if i find it. Thank you so much. You teach me and saved my money but not worth anything if i own jbl :( I love this speaker. 

On 06/02/2018 at 3:27 PM, bimmerman said:

I'd post this in the sound device/card section if I were you.

I have the Magni/Modi 2 Uber combinations. They've worked well for me. They don't do positional (i.e. simulated surround) audio. They improve your stereo sound over onboard audio, and can drive ridiculous headphones (i.e., my Beyerdynamic 600 ohm are driven super easily). If "7.1" headphone gaming is your thing, you won't get it from these. I use the Magni/Modi for everything since I don't have speakers in my apartment-- music, movies, gaming. Works well?

I have not used any recent SoundBlaster card but I'm curious how well they work nowadays compared to the external Dac/Amp combos.

Before I picked up my Schiit Modi-Multibit & Magni3, I was seriously considering the Soundblaster X7 (the one that looks an A-frame house) or the E5.  I'm glad I didn't go that way. I worshipped at that company's altar back in the 90s.  I really wanted to buy into the virtual-surround-sound-headphone paradigm.  I just couldn't do it.  Anyway, let us know what your decision is, @Sabir ?  BTW, Dackzy's shit is tight (i.e., knowledge).  I've used his postings to educate myself.

6 hours ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

Before I picked up my Schiit Modi-Multibit & Magni3, I was seriously considering the Soundblaster X7 (the one that looks an A-frame house) or the E5.  I'm glad I didn't go that way. I worshipped at that company's altar back in the 90s.  I really wanted to buy into the virtual-surround-sound-headphone paradigm.  I just couldn't do it.  Anyway, let us know what your decision is, @Sabir ?  BTW, Dackzy's shit is tight (i.e., knowledge).  I've used his postings to educate myself.

Problem is those product is not available in my country but i believe AE-5 will be available in my country later since creative other sound card is available in my country. If i find modi 2 uber and magni 3 i will take it. Sadly it's not available. And otherwise AE-5 is $150 and modi 2 uber+ magni 3 is $150+ $100 = Total $250 . And AE-5 sound is so great i heard some test they are amazing in this money. AE-5 support surround sound 5.1 and virtural 7.1 . It's have 32bit to 384Hz and 122db. So i think in this money both product is great. @PrometheanCat2

7 hours ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

But if modi 2 uber + magni 3 is available in my country i would definitely buy it because just like he explained @Dackzy . So i recommend you if you want to buy go for modi 2 uber and magni 3.Before I heard it from few people they choose modi 2 uber+magni 3 over sound card. And i heard sound card can be mess up with some hardware electricity distortion etc and make it noise when you heard music etc. It can be bother you. But i think it's depending on motherboard if you have bad mobo then in can be happene. Which problem is you don't need to worry about modi 2 uber and magni 3. @PrometheanCat2

7 hours ago, Sabir said:

well it depends on more than your mobo, you other compoments also affects it. The main thing is the PSU, if that is low quality and can't send out clean power, then I can basically gurantee you that you get noise.

The thing is if you sit with like HD 558 or 598, then the difference between modi+magni vs AE5 will be very minimal, if it is there at all, the difference becomes bigger with k612 and then bigger again with HD600 and bigger again with HD 800. 

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Damn you explained things very well. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

@Dackzy Bro i am not clear about it. Should i buy Modi 2 or Modi 2 Uber ? What is the difference between Modi 2 which one is $99 and Modi 2 Uber which one is $149

i also see Modi 2 Multibit which is expensive $249 What is the difference about them ? And which one should i get?  And which headphone will be better for this ? Sennheiser game one, Sennheiser game zero or Sennheiser HD 598 , HD 600 or HD 650? What is the difference ? And which one have better bass and crystal clear sound both balance? I don't listen song actually i listen but barely.  I mostly listen games soundtrack , I Play games , Watch Marvel , Sci-Fi , DC Transformers , and Action movies . Listen Marvel Superhero movies soundtrack , Games music , Two step from hell, SciFi , legendary,  fantasy etc musics.You know what mean. So which one i pick for those stuff? I want something if it's blow my mind , give me goosebumps and eargasm.

Thanks in Advance :)

4 hours ago, Sabir said:

@Dackzy Bro i am not clear about it. Should i buy Modi 2 or Modi 2 Uber ? What is the difference between Modi 2 which one is $99 and Modi 2 Uber which one is $149

i also see Modi 2 Multibit which is expensive $249 What is the difference about them ? And which one should i get?  And which headphone will be better for this ? Sennheiser game one, Sennheiser game zero or Sennheiser HD 598 , HD 600 or HD 650? What is the difference ? And which one have better bass and crystal clear sound both balance? I don't listen song actually i listen but barely.  I mostly listen games soundtrack , I Play games , Watch Marvel , Sci-Fi , DC Transformers , and Action movies . Listen Marvel Superhero movies soundtrack , Games music , Two step from hell, SciFi , legendary,  fantasy etc musics.You know what mean. So which one i pick for those stuff? I want something if it's blow my mind , give me goosebumps and eargasm.

Thanks in Advance :)

The Modi 2 uber is cleaner sounding that the Modi 2. One of the reasons for this is that it uses wall power instead of USB power and well the analog section is upgraded. I wouldn't recommend getting the Modi 2 multibit, it doesn't really sound like any other multibit and IMO it is tonally off, plus it doesn't really offer anything more than the uber. So you pay quite a bit extra for no real upgrade.

Game one will follow the 598 pretty well. The HD 598 is a fairly well balanced headphone, but not very detailed, kinda mediocre.

The HD 650 has the best bass extention of them, but the treble is veiled/drawn back, the overall sound is warm. The soundstage is fairly narrow, same goes for the HD 600 soundstage.

The HD 600 is what some would call "neutral" not too sure if I would call them that, it drops off a bit too soon and the mids are too forward IMO to be neutral, but it has more treble than the HD 650. Both of these offer a good amount of extra detail compared to 598. 

This graph basically shows how loud each frequency is relatively to other frequencies. You can't tell everything about the sound from it, but it can give you an idea of the sound.

output.png?width=822&height=446

I personally like the K612, it extends the bass a bit better than HD 650 and it has more treble. Plus it has a bigger soundstage. Though not as detailed.

Which one you should pick is up to you. We all have different tastes when it comes to this. Some loves the HD 650, whiles others dislike it. I am personally not the biggest fan of how it sounds, mainly because I am not into a warm sound, but I cannot deny that they are pretty amazing headphones. I do know a lot of people that loves them.

The only way to be certain is to try them all and see which one you like the most. I cannot say if some headphone will give you goosebumps. I can only talk about the technicallies, but these don't matter that much if you don't like the actually sound. You might like how the HD598 sounds more than how the HD 650 sounds, even though it technically is a worse headphone.

The Modi 2 uber is cleaner sounding that the Modi 2. One of the reasons for this is that it uses wall power instead of USB power and well the analog section is upgraded. I wouldn't recommend getting the Modi 2 multibit, it doesn't really sound like any other multibit and IMO it is tonally off, plus it doesn't really offer anything more than the uber. So you pay quite a bit extra for no real upgrade.

Game one will follow the 598 pretty well. The HD 598 is a fairly well balanced headphone, but not very detailed, kinda mediocre.

The HD 650 has the best bass extention of them, but the treble is veiled/drawn back, the overall sound is warm. The soundstage is fairly narrow, same goes for the HD 600 soundstage.

The HD 600 is what some would call "neutral" not too sure if I would call them that, it drops off a bit too soon and the mids are too forward IMO to be neutral, but it has more treble than the HD 650. Both of these offer a good amount of extra detail compared to 598. 

This graph basically shows how loud each frequency is relatively to other frequencies. You can't tell everything about the sound from it, but it can give you an idea of the sound.

I personally like the K612, it extends the bass a bit better than HD 650 and it has more treble. Plus it has a bigger soundstage. Though not as detailed.

Which one you should pick is up to you. We all have different tastes when it comes to this. Some loves the HD 650, whiles others dislike it. I am personally not the biggest fan of how it sounds, mainly because I am not into a warm sound, but I cannot deny that they are pretty amazing headphones. I do know a lot of people that loves them.

The only way to be certain is to try them all and see which one you like the most. I cannot say if some headphone will give you goosebumps. I can only talk about the technicallies, but these don't matter that much if you don't like the actually sound. You might like how the HD598 sounds more than how the HD 650 sounds, even though it technically is a worse headphone.

Wow. Can i use Modi 2 uber + Magni 3 in any laptop and TV? And if yes how? 

20 hours ago, Dackzy said:

@Dackzy Bro can you please explain this why i need Modi 2 Uber and Magni 3 both. Why not can't i just buy one?

40 minutes ago, Sabir said:

please explain this why i need Modi 2 Uber and Magni 3 both. Why not can't i just buy one?

So the modi (base, multibit or uber) is purely a DAC, so it takes the digital source (usb, s/pdif) and converts it into the analogue signal. This is output from the DAC at a pre-amp level, so it is too low level to drive a pair of headphones.

The Magni is purely an amplifier. So it takes the incoming signal and makes it bigger, to a level where it can drive a pair of headphones. The input is already analogue, so any digital-analogue conversion needs to be done elsewhere, e.g. with a modi.

You can use a magni with the analogue output from a computer/phone, but you then are double amping the signal, and using the (presumably) lower quality DAC circuitry in the device. So it's better to pair it with a pure DAC, such as the modi.

4 hours ago, anothertom said:

So the modi (base, multibit or uber) is purely a DAC, so it takes the digital source (usb, s/pdif) and converts it into the analogue signal. This is output from the DAC at a pre-amp level, so it is too low level to drive a pair of headphones.

The Magni is purely an amplifier. So it takes the incoming signal and makes it bigger, to a level where it can drive a pair of headphones. The input is already analogue, so any digital-analogue conversion needs to be done elsewhere, e.g. with a modi.

You can use a magni with the analogue output from a computer/phone, but you then are double amping the signal, and using the (presumably) lower quality DAC circuitry in the device. So it's better to pair it with a pure DAC, such as the modi.

Wow. Can i use Modi 2 uber + Magni 3 in any laptop and TV? And if yes how? 

You can use the modi uber with any device which supports usb output or has a spdif output (on coaxial or optical).

So with a laptop just use the usb input. For a TV, it would have to have a spdif output.

2 hours ago, anothertom said:

You can use the modi uber with any device which supports usb output or has a spdif output (on coaxial or optical).

So with a laptop just use the usb input. For a TV, it would have to have a spdif output.

Should i need Modi 2 uber and magni 3 both of them when i will use it on laptop?