Modi 2 Uber and Magni 3 or Sound BlasterX AE-5?

Sabir
Go to solution Solved by Dackzy,
7 hours ago, Sabir said:

But if modi 2 uber + magni 3 is available in my country i would definitely buy it because just like he explained @Dackzy . So i recommend you if you want to buy go for modi 2 uber and magni 3.Before I heard it from few people they choose modi 2 uber+magni 3 over sound card. And i heard sound card can be mess up with some hardware electricity distortion etc and make it noise when you heard music etc. It can be bother you. But i think it's depending on motherboard if you have bad mobo then in can be happene. Which problem is you don't need to worry about modi 2 uber and magni 3. @PrometheanCat2

well it depends on more than your mobo, you other compoments also affects it. The main thing is the PSU, if that is low quality and can't send out clean power, then I can basically gurantee you that you get noise.

The thing is if you sit with like HD 558 or 598, then the difference between modi+magni vs AE5 will be very minimal, if it is there at all, the difference becomes bigger with k612 and then bigger again with HD600 and bigger again with HD 800. 

Modi 2 Uber and Magni 3 or Creative gaming Sound BlasterX AE-5? 

Which one should i get for better sound for games , movies and music? And which one is solid build, high quality and long lasting? How many years i can use them or how many years they will still work? 

Is creative gaming Sonnd BlasterX Katana support with them? Or need other speaker? SN73wVu.thumb.jpg.3d7268a69513bf10b09f9a1d7e577693.jpg59fcd7e921f59_D_8orcfqmf5RB3LEE81R-AO7CkGSuwVSxO7ywABicxjdLmRMaZh1BMTl3Iq7l-2JFACnjVi7-2dArrsnd22aiu-rPa6xqdwX0dWJFBFkVblG6O2bg6aTSx0eQYboSjAQXJco6Qw405-h363-nc.png.6fe2332e8d2a1e7e8c2611729fc78dd7.pnghero-katana.png.a0b1a3d4dd8ff9541b347b2f5e978e0a.png

I'd post this in the sound device/card section if I were you.

I have the Magni/Modi 2 Uber combinations. They've worked well for me. They don't do positional (i.e. simulated surround) audio. They improve your stereo sound over onboard audio, and can drive ridiculous headphones (i.e., my Beyerdynamic 600 ohm are driven super easily). If "7.1" headphone gaming is your thing, you won't get it from these. I use the Magni/Modi for everything since I don't have speakers in my apartment-- music, movies, gaming. Works well?

I have not used any recent SoundBlaster card but I'm curious how well they work nowadays compared to the external Dac/Amp combos.

5 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Modi 2 Magni 3 hands down. That sound card isn’t very good.

But are they support 5.1 and 7.1 speaker or headphones surrounding sound like AE-5 ? And does they have 32 bit to 384 like AE-5 And does it support with Sound BlasterX katana? Can it deliver it's better sound through this speaker? 

5 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

Modi 2 Uber and Magni 3, hands down, has my vote. I don't deal with internal sound cards anymore.

But are they support 5.1 and 7.1 speaker or headphones surrounding sound like AE-5 ? And does they have 32 bit to 384 like AE-5 And does it support with Sound BlasterX katana? Can it deliver it's better sound through this speaker? 

No, I don't believe the Schiit DACs (e.g. the Modi) don't support 5.1 or 7.1 however the Magni (attached to a DAC/sound card that does support 5.1/7.1) *may* be able to output multichannel audio via headphones, not sure as it's kinda vague/unknown there. Also the Modi 2 Uber (which I have) only supports up to 32-bit/192 kHz unlike the Sound BlasterX AE-5. But, there's barely any "hi-res" music downloads out there above 24-bit/192 kHz anyways, much less 32-bit/384 kHz (which I've NEVER seen for sale anywhere). IMO, sample rates that high are pointless anyways... and honestly, so is anything above 48 kHz but I can live with 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz or 192 kHz depending on the source of the digital downloaded media files.

4 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

No, I don't believe the Schiit DACs (e.g. the Modi) don't support 5.1 or 7.1 however the Magni (attached to a DAC/sound card that does support 5.1/7.1) *may* be able to output multichannel audio via headphones, not sure as it's kinda vague/unknown there. Also the Modi 2 Uber (which I have) only supports up to 32-bit/192 kHz unlike the Sound BlasterX AE-5. But, there's barely any "hi-res" music downloads out there above 24-bit/192 kHz anyways, much less 32-bit/384 kHz (which I've NEVER seen for sale anywhere). IMO, sample rates that high are pointless anyways... and honestly, so is anything above 48 kHz but I can live with 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz or 192 kHz depending on the source of the digital downloaded media files.

Awesome bro. Which one you choose between Logitech Z906 or Creative Sound BlasteX Katana? For better sound , high quality , solid build and long lasting.

13 hours ago, Sabir said:

Awesome bro. Which one you choose between Logitech Z906 or Creative Sound BlasteX Katana? For better sound , high quality , solid build and long lasting.

Why even get either? They both sound like absolute ass compared to what you can get... You won't be able to get a good surround sound system for like 200-300$, it simply isn't going to happen, unless you go looking for it used. If you want the best possible new speakers in your budget then you go JBL LSR305 and if they are too big then maybe look into a set of modhouseaudio cube speakers and remember to angle them towards your ears. With the cube speakers you could also add a cheap subwoofer just to get some extra bass.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

13 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Why even get either? They both sound like absolute ass compared to what you can get... You won't be able to get a good surround sound system for like 200-300$, it simply isn't going to happen, unless you go looking for it used. If you want the best possible new speakers in your budget then you go JBL LSR305 and if they are too big then maybe look into a set of modhouseaudio cube speakers and remember to angle them towards your ears. With the cube speakers you could also add a cheap subwoofer just to get some extra bass.

It's only one speaker lol. Does it have surround sound system , DTS , Dolby digital etc? Does it work with sound blasterX AE-5?

17 minutes ago, Sabir said:

It's only one speaker lol. Does it have surround sound system , DTS , Dolby digital etc? Does it work with sound blasterX AE-5?

You have too much marketing in your head. The JBL are monitor speakers that are good for stereo systems. For the amount of money you want to spend, you'll get more quality out of a good stereo system than from a cheap surround one. You can of course ignore this and go buy the cheapest thing that has most logos in the box if that makes you happy.

15 minutes ago, Sabir said:

We have been over this before... You need to buy TWO, this is how it is when you look at proper speakers and not some shitty ass "gaming" system. Go to basically any audio store and the price is PER speaker and not for a set.

Just as a exsample look at this site, it is one of the biggest semi-pro/pro audio websites in the EU. The prices you see on the speakers is for one single speaker, unless it says price for pair.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

No it isn't surround sound, how can it be surround sound when you only have two. It supports analog signals that you sound card or whatever DAC you hook up to it makes. The actual audio quality coming from the LSR 305 outclasses the katana by many worlds.

Also you seem to have this idea that more bits= better, which is wrong on so many level. I have a old NOS DAC that only does 16/44.1, it is way more detailed than a Schiit Bifrost multibit, which without any problem is many times better than that 32/384 soundblaster.

It is about how well it can make the digital signal into a analog one, NOT about how many bits it supports. It can support 32/384 and sound like ass and it can sound amazing and "only" support 16/44.1 or 24/192. Music is typically also only made 16/44.1 or 24/96 and 24/96 is typically a waste of space and money.

You either get the best quality for your money or you get that bad gear.

Best setup: Modi 2 Uber + magni 3 + two LSR 305 

Second best: Soundblaster + two LSR 305

Waste of money: Soundblaster + Katana/Z906

The only way you will get just a okay'ish surround sound system is by going used. You might be able to find a decent surround system that is 5-10 years old for 300$

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

We have been over this before... You need to buy TWO, this is how it is when you look at proper speakers and not some shitty ass "gaming" system. Go to basically any audio store and the price is PER speaker and not for a set.

Just as a exsample look at this site, it is one of the biggest semi-pro/pro audio websites in the EU. The prices you see on the speakers is for one single speaker, unless it says price for pair.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

No it isn't surround sound, how can it be surround sound when you only have two. It supports analog signals that you sound card or whatever DAC you hook up to it makes. The actual audio quality coming from the LSR 305 outclasses the katana by many worlds.

Also you seem to have this idea that more bits= better, which is wrong on so many level. I have a old NOS DAC that only does 16/44.1, it is way more detailed than a Schiit Bifrost multibit, which without any problem is many times better than that 32/384 soundblaster.

It is about how well it can make the digital signal into a analog one, NOT about how many bits it supports. It can support 32/384 and sound like ass and it can sound amazing and "only" support 16/44.1 or 24/192. Music is typically also only made 16/44.1 or 24/96 and 24/96 is typically a waste of space and money.

You either get the best quality for your money or you get that bad gear.

Best setup: Modi 2 Uber + magni 3 + two LSR 305 

Second best: Soundblaster + two LSR 305

Waste of money: Soundblaster + Katana/Z906

The only way you will get just a okay'ish surround sound system is by going used. You might be able to find a decent surround system that is 5-10 years old for 300$

Wow you are just amazing. Thank you so much. I read it very carefully. But can you please tell me that link you send me i see so many speaker there. Is LSR 350 is best from all of them? And your both option is good that you said Best setup Modi 2 uber + magni 3+ LSR 350 

2nd best setup Sound Blaster AE-5 + LSR 350. Which one will be bit better for high quality sound and for future? And AE-5 have so many I.O port from behind BTW. So many option. And i see AE-5 have very clear sound on YouTube or Sennheiser gsx 1000 vs 1200 gsx pro ? Sorry if i annoying you i am really noob. AB86811.jpg.6595467232bb01e56fb9a2847b87fd33.jpg

3 hours ago, elira said:

You have too much marketing in your head. The JBL are monitor speakers that are good for stereo systems. For the amount of money you want to spend, you'll get more quality out of a good stereo system than from a cheap surround one. You can of course ignore this and go buy the cheapest thing that has most logos in the box if that makes you happy.

Thank you bro. Very well said i now don't buy this :) OK but if i buy 5 JBL so it will become a surround speaker right? That's how it's count? 

7 minutes ago, Sabir said:

Thank you bro. Very well said i now don't buy this :) OK but if i buy 5 JBL so it will become a surround speaker right? That's how it's count? 

You can start with one and progress along with your budget. You can reach 11 channels if you want, just add two subwoofers and then you would have a 11.2 system based on JBL LSR 305. The sky is the limit. But I’ll recommend a Modi and Magni for the first two.

1 minute ago, elira said:

You can start with one and progress along with your budget. You can reach 11 channels if you want, just add two subwoofers and then you would have a 11.2 system based on JBL LSR 305. The sky is the limit. But I’ll recommend a Modi and Magni for the first two.

But that other bro send me that speaker link there is so many speaker you think LSR 305 will be better than other all speaker i also see yemaha .

41 minutes ago, Sabir said:

But that other bro send me that speaker link there is so many speaker you think LSR 305 will be better than other all speaker i also see yemaha .

I’ve not experience with active monitors but the JBL are well known.

1 minute ago, elira said:

I’ve not experience with active monitors but the JBL are well known.

Oh nice

the LSR305 are absolutely excellent value for the money. and they will expand to a surround system if that's your thing. With surround, the ideal is to have all matching speakers. They lack a subwoofer, though, so if you are looking for super punchy bass, that's gonna require a subwoofer.

7 hours ago, Sabir said:

Wow you are just amazing. Thank you so much. I read it very carefully. But can you please tell me that link you send me i see so many speaker there. Is LSR 350 is best from all of them? And your both option is good that you said Best setup Modi 2 uber + magni 3+ LSR 350 

2nd best setup Sound Blaster AE-5 + LSR 350. Which one will be bit better for high quality sound and for future? And AE-5 have so many I.O port from behind BTW. So many option. And i see AE-5 have very clear sound on YouTube or Sennheiser gsx 1000 vs 1200 gsx pro ? Sorry if i annoying you i am really noob. AB86811.jpg.6595467232bb01e56fb9a2847b87fd33.jpg

They aren't the best speakers you can buy, but they are the best speakers in your budget range. Speakers like Neumann KH120 and genelec 8040 outclass the lsr 305 with ease, but just one of those speakers cost more than a pair of LSR 305 .

The AE-5 will allow you to make a surround sound system with LSR 305 in the future, you just have to buy even more LSR 305's to do that. It won't give you the best stereo quality.

Most of the audio reviews are done by people with very little experience in the field, so anything that is better than your typical phone, laptop or desktop audio is going to be very clear to them.

As far as I know then you can't hook up the gsx1000/1200 to speakers, but it only does one thing "well" and it is virtual surround sound for headphones, but it sounds very artificial.

The modi 2 Uber outclass both of them in pure stereo quality.

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

They aren't the best speakers you can buy, but they are the best speakers in your budget range. Speakers like Neumann KH120 and genelec 8040 outclass the lsr 305 with ease, but just one of those speakers cost more than a pair of LSR 305 .

The AE-5 will allow you to make a surround sound system with LSR 305 in the future, you just have to buy even more LSR 305's to do that. It won't give you the best stereo quality.

Most of the audio reviews are done by people with very little experience in the field, so anything that is better than your typical phone, laptop or desktop audio is going to be very clear to them.

As far as I know then you can't hook up the gsx1000/1200 to speakers, but it only does one thing "well" and it is virtual surround sound for headphones, but it sounds very artificial.

Especially youtube reviews. Very few expert reviewers will give their reviews away for free, or sit down in front of a camera over an evening to say their review. Youtube reviews are cut together very short term inexperienced reviews, typically with hardware provided by the manufacturer. Yes, even experts very often get hardware for free to review, but they are experts, they have listened to 50k USD stereo sets and 25 dollar radios. They can tell you what is good with almost pure experience based objectivity.

I know reading is boring, but find some good reviews, and if nobody with long term industry experience has reviewed it then maybe the product just isn't that good.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Thank you bro i was waited for your reply . My personal room is something like 12.8 feet by 9.6 feet. So pair of LSR 305 will be more than enough for this size of room you think right? And should i buy woofer and how much watt woffer should i buy and for future if i upgrade speaker in future and which brand woofer is the best? And like you said if i use LSR 305 2.1 which one is stereo speaker  it can deliver better sound quality more than Logitech Z906 5:1 surround sound right? So here is like 2:1 stereo vs 5:1 surround sound . 

19 minutes ago, Sabir said:

Thank you bro i was waited for your reply . My personal room is something like 12.8 feet by 9.6 feet. So pair of LSR 305 will be more than enough for this size of room you think right? And should i buy woofer and how much watt woffer should i buy and for future if i upgrade speaker in future and which brand woofer is the best? And like you said if i use LSR 305 2.1 which one is stereo speaker  it can deliver better sound quality more than Logitech Z906 5:1 surround sound right? So here is like 2:1 stereo vs 5:1 surround sound . 

More than enough for that size room. You can buy a subwoofer to get a bit more low end, but cheap supwoofers will only give you down to 35-40Hz. I would recommend you try the speakers out first without a sub and then see how it works for you. There aren't "best" when it comes to brands, you have good studio monitor brands like Neumann, Genelec, Adam, Dynaudio, Focal and probably more. For subwoofers it depends on what the main use is, if you watch a lot of movies and it is the main thing you do then you should get a ported subwoofer like a SVS PB1000 (it goes down to 20Hz or so), if you mainly use the system for music then you should get a fully sealed subwoofer like the SVS SB1000 or a REL subwoofer. I generally tend to go with either REL or SVS subwoofers or if you have the brand Argon, then their budget subwoofers are pretty good, like the "Bass 10" is pretty good for its price.

Yes the LSR 305 can deliver higher sound quality than the Z906. Most music and TV shows are stereo, so the back speakers of the Z906 won't even be used or they will just mirror what the front is playing.

20 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

More than enough for that size room. You can buy a subwoofer to get a bit more low end, but cheap supwoofers will only give you down to 35-40Hz. I would recommend you try the speakers out first without a sub and then see how it works for you. There aren't "best" when it comes to brands, you have good studio monitor brands like Neumann, Genelec, Adam, Dynaudio, Focal and probably more. For subwoofers it depends on what the main use is, if you watch a lot of movies and it is the main thing you do then you should get a ported subwoofer like a SVS PB1000 (it goes down to 20Hz or so), if you mainly use the system for music then you should get a fully sealed subwoofer like the SVS SB1000 or a REL subwoofer. I generally tend to go with either REL or SVS subwoofers or if you have the brand Argon, then their budget subwoofers are pretty good, like the "Bass 10" is pretty good for its price.

Yes the LSR 305 can deliver higher sound quality than the Z906. Most music and TV shows are stereo, so the back speakers of the Z906 won't even be used or they will just mirror what the front is playing.

I actually watch movies , listen games music , marvel superheroes , science fiction soundtrack. What is the top of the  line between jbl  lsr350 vs  jbl lsr308 vs yamaha hs8 ? They are close to my budget. Which one is the best. 

2 hours ago, Sabir said:

I actually watch movies , listen games music , marvel superheroes , science fiction soundtrack. What is the top of the  line between jbl  lsr350 vs  jbl lsr308 vs yamaha hs8 ? They are close to my budget. Which one is the best. 

I would stay away from yamha studio monitors, they tend to easily sound a bit hollow. For the 308 vs 305, the 308 is a tad more refined, but it also has quite a bit more bass than the 305, but it isn't as precise.

Unless you buy surround sound movies, then they are also stereo. Game music is also stereo, same goes for soundtracks. Like there is maybe like 1/100000 that is surround sound.