x5690 VS. 4690k

Alright, here's the quick rundown. I do a lot of video editing and photo editing as my job. This question is based more on the video editing aspect though. I edit RAW 4k footage that I later throw into Premiere Pro/After Effects where the footage is edited, color graded, effects are added, transitions, etc. I've got two systems right now, a Mac Pro with a Xeon x5690, and a Z97 build with a 4690k. I'm saving up for a new system, but at the moment, which one do you guys think would perform best? Thanks in advance!

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you have 2 systems why not just test what is fast. Take a sample project and see which one is faster to export.

Cause the Z97 system is currently disassembled, so I would have to build it, install windows, premiere, transfer a project over with footage, and then test it. Don't really want to go through the hassle if it's possible to get some answer first :D (yeah I'm a little lazy)

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

3 minutes ago, Giraffackle said:

Cause the Z97 system is currently disassembled, so I would have to build it, install windows, premiere, transfer a project over with footage, and then test it. Don't really want to go through the hassle if it's possible to get some answer first :D (yeah I'm a little lazy)

Well anandtech bench doesn't show much https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1261?vs=142

Id personally go 4690k. for reasons below

-usb 3 and better io

-you can oc

-much better single threaded

-premiere is faster on windows

-newer so should last a bit longer

The xeon.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

In multithread tasks x5690 will do better than 4690k but only if it is overclocked at stock 3.4gHz they are almost identical

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

Does your Mac Pro's motherboard's bios support raising the BCLK, CPU multiplier, and adjusting voltages?

The 6 cores of the Xeon are not particularly fast by modern standards, but vs a Haswell chip, it's probably on the order of 20-25% slower per core at a given frequency.

Is you 4690k an i5 or i7? If it's an i5, the Xeon will be significantly faster at any multithreaded task. How much of what you do relies upon fast single core performance?

tl;dr, the xeon may surprise you.