Can software increase FPS even tho GPU isnt great?

chexor

Im having issue with playing online MMO game, i have r5 1600 but still cant but some decent GPU, and i need to wait a litttle bit longer..

I have low fps mostly because my gpu (1gb ddr5), can some software like Razer cortex booster increase FPS, is there even point in downloding it?

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

GPU oc will improve performance but I suggest msi afterburner

It is pretty old GPU, gtx 470.. I dont think i have option to overclock :D 

3 minutes ago, chexor said:

You can...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Only software that can increase fps is overclocking software.  Other game mode software just kills processes but also adds another process for the game mode software itself if you get me. 

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

1 minute ago, chexor said:

Yes you can OC, I assumed that raxer cortex was a gpu oc software, but no that software will not increase performance

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

only if you mean oc software any other other software can only increase fps by not running it. the less processes the less calculations duhh..

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Depending on what cooler you have on it, GTX 470 can overclock a good deal. I used to have a pair of 470 twinfrz and they were great.

you can OC a 470, i dont know what this software is though. for overclocking id use MSI Afterburner

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Does the game in question have any video settings you can adjust to improve performance.  Reduce resolution, reduce texture quality etc?

Any card can be overclocked.  Remember the GTX470 was once one of the best cards available and back then people did overclock it too so why not now,  I remember overclocking my PCI TNT Vanta card.

7 minutes ago, Glen M said:

Does the game in question have any video settings you can adjust to improve performance.  Reduce resolution, reduce texture quality etc?

Any card can be overclocked.  Remember the GTX470 was once one of the best cards available and back then people did overclock it too so why not now,  I remember overclocking my PCI TNT Vanta card.

16 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you can OC a 470, i dont know what this software is though. for overclocking id use MSI Afterburner

Cant increase Power and Temp limit for some reason, only can unlock voltage control...

Out of curiosity,  what MMO? :)

I've overclocked 460 before, so no reason not being able to overclock 470. I used MSI afterburner.

1 minute ago, bigneo said:

I've overclocked 460 before, so no reason not being able to overclock 470. I used MSI afterburner.

Elder scrolls online. For some reason cant unlock sliders for temp and power limit (but can unlock voltage control)

I admit its been a while since I overclocked a GPU but surely you don't want to adjust the temperature and power limits?   Not just increase the core and memory clock in increments of say 5mhz (that used to be the recommendation, maybe 20mhz these days?) and run a test (we used to use 3D Mark 2000 - told you its been a while) and if it was stable up it again.  First time it starts artifacts on the screen or freezes drop it back down and that's you.  If it doesn't want to increase the core or memory clock i.e. if it starts giving problems after a small overclock then increase the voltages.

48 minutes ago, chexor said:

Cant increase Power and Temp limit for some reason, only can unlock voltage control...

Don't bother with those, you only really need voltage, core and memory

42 minutes ago, bigneo said:

GTX or RX 460, BIG difference 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

There are some pretty cool tweaks you can usually perform by editing a games texts files. There are usually ways to drop resolution, textures, shadows, even lower than the in game settings offer. Look up a video from 'low spec gamer' on YouTube, and you'll get the idea of what I mean. However, it's different on a per game basis, so not all support stuff like this, and editing these files may conflict with rules on an online MMO, I'm not sure.

Otherwise, just look up optimizations for the game you wanna play, and you can usually fine deep stuff to help boost performance.

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Don't bother with those, you only really need voltage, core and memory

GTX or RX 460, BIG difference 

Since he OP said GTX, I was also referring to GTX. Good point tho :)

GTX 470 can usually OC by  33%-50%.  ~600mhz to 800-900mhz.  It will help tons.

GTX 460 can also OC by a similar margin.

If VRAM is a concern, turn down texture detail.