Corsair RM650x or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

Hi,

I am considering either one of the two, but I can't choose. Does anyone have any advice which one I should choose, and why?

Edit:

They both have the same price

Full specs of your PC? Focus Plus Gold is slightly better but RMx is slightly quieter. Both are excellent units, personally I'll go for the cheaper one.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Both are good units. Get whichever is cheaper.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

@TrigrH The 750 watt version is cheaper :), thanks for the advice!

@ZM Fong
Intel I7 8700K

NZXT Kraken X62

Gigabyte Aorus 1080 (11Gbps)

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB

2x WD Blue

840 Evo 120Gb

850 Evo 250Gb

1 hour ago, NielsG said:

snip

Get Focus Plus Gold 750W then

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 hours ago, NielsG said:

@TrigrH The 750 watt version is cheaper :), thanks for the advice!

@ZM Fong
Intel I7 8700K

NZXT Kraken X62

Gigabyte Aorus 1080 (11Gbps)

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB

2x WD Blue

840 Evo 120Gb

850 Evo 250Gb

Get the cheaper of the two, but your system only will ever draw maybe 400W.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 hours ago, TrigrH said:

The seasonic is of higher quality. 

Is it?

Like to know where you get your information from.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=524

"One, two, three, four, five. Five cold looking joints on the line input side of the mainboard. Two more questionable, but probably solid. That'll lose you a point later, Seasonic. The rest of the board is flawless."

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of failures including cold solder joints. 

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is it?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=524

"One, two, three, four, five. Five cold looking joints on the line input side of the mainboard. Two more questionable, but probably solid. That'll lose you a point later, Seasonic. The rest of the board is flawless."

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of failures including cold solder joints. 

Which one would you suggest? I am tempting towards the Seasonic but I can't judge whether transistors in the lines is a good or bad thing

5 minutes ago, ImHyperstyle said:

just get the corsair one

Explaining why would help the OP... 

:)

22 minutes ago, NielsG said:

Which one would you suggest? I am tempting towards the Seasonic but I can't judge whether transistors in the lines is a good or bad thing

Transistors?

I think you mean capacitors.

Capacitors in the cables just makes the PSU review better because PSU's have gotten to the point of mythic ripple suppression performance and the only way to get better is to put the caps in the cables.

As others said:  Get whatever is cheaper of the two.  My comment was just for TrigrH that made the claim that the Seasonic was better build quality without any kind of supporting evidence.  

Cold solder joints is a legit issue, but that's what warranties are for.  The percentage of failed units is still fairly low.

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I think you mean capacitors.

Whoops, yes I meant that.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Capacitors in the cables just makes the PSU review better because PSU's have gotten to the point of mythic ripple suppression performance and the only way to get better is to put the caps in the cables.

Great!

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

As others said:  Get whatever is cheaper of the two.

Both are the same price, so I can't take that into consideration :/

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Cold solder joints is a legit issue, but that's what warranties are for.  The percentage of failed units is still fairly low.

By reading this I am getting the idea that I should avoid it due to poor soldering. Even though there is a warranty, I would not like to risk my components. Will I be better off buying a RM650x or does it have the same problem?

4 minutes ago, NielsG said:

Great!

By reading this I am getting the idea that I should avoid it due to poor soldering. Even though there is a warranty, I would not like to risk my components. Will I be better off buying a RM650x or does it have the same problem?

I'd just go for the SeaSonic.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

16 minutes ago, NielsG said:

Great!

You can read the reviews for yourself.  I'm not aware of any cold solder issues with the RMx.

The fact that the Focus is 100W more for the same money is inticing, though. 

Here's a question :  Why only those two options?  

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Here's a question :  Why only those two options?  

Well, I started on a rather big list based on reviews and tests that I saw on national sites (Netherlands) and other sites like Amazon, forums, etc. After some browsing, I found out that I could scratch some off my list.

Original list:

Corsair HX750i (too expensive (€60 more than RM650x)
Corsair HX850i (too much watt)
Corsair RM650x 
Corsair RM850x (too much watt)
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 (not the most ideal PSU)
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 (too much watt)
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 (braided cables, would be hard for cable management and 2 HDD's / 2 SSD's)
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 650 / 750 / 850 (too expensive for my needs)

After some concluding, I got the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W and the RM650x, though after your question I'm doubting about the G3 (~€25 more expensive)

7 minutes ago, NielsG said:

After some concluding, I got the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W and the RM650x, though after your question I'm doubting about the G3 (~€25 more expensive)

Why not a 550W PSU? That's enough for any single GPU system. 

11 minutes ago, NielsG said:

Well, I started on a rather big list based on reviews and tests that I saw on national sites (Netherlands) and other sites like Amazon, forums, etc. After some browsing, I found out that I could scratch some off my list.

You seem to have pretty good English proficiency.  Don't limit yourself to Netherland review sites.  Tweakers.net is the only competent PSU review I can think of in that region.

BitFenix also have some good options (like the Whisper).  Also, you seem to be stuck on fully modular.  That's correct?

Same question as seon123:  What 650W+.  Single 1080 doesn't need more than a 550W.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is it?

Every other review of the product on the site, only the 750w model had that issue, which is likely down to a bad batch. Which if its going to fail should be WELL within its 10 year warranty. No OEM as far as i'm concerned has a perfect production line, even amongst the best PSUs there always will be some failure rate no? (due to reasons like this)

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

No OEM as far as i'm concerned has a perfect production line, even amongst the best PSUs there always will be some failure rate no? (due to reasons like this)

You are absolutely correct.

But cold solder joints is a known issue with the latest Seasonic PSUs.  One that they are addressing, but I'm not sure a "fix" has been implemented.  Due to the fact that Seasonic's PCBA is outsourced, they have very little control over quality, process, etc.

Most OEMs do their own PCBA, but Seasonic is a bit too small for that.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is it?

Yes, because Seasonic.

They are awesome because Seasonic.

And everything they do is awesome.

Anyway, @NielsG

Since you are in Europe:
Be quiet Straight Power 11, 450 or 550W

Bitfenix Whisper M 450 or 550W, Formula.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

35 minutes ago, NielsG said:

Original list:

Corsair HX750i (too expensive (€60 more than RM650x)
Corsair HX850i (too much watt)
Corsair RM650x 
Corsair RM850x (too much watt)
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 (not the most ideal PSU)
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 (too much watt)
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 (braided cables, would be hard for cable management and 2 HDD's / 2 SSD's)
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 650 / 750 / 850 (too expensive for my needs)

Why go for 650W, 750W and 850W at all when all you need is a good quality 450, maybe 550W unit for that unit?

And there are other options available in the Netherlands as well...

30 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Also, you seem to be stuck on fully modular.  That's correct?

Same question as seon123:  What 650W+.  Single 1080 doesn't need more than a 550W.

I indeed would like it to be fully modular. I will try and a look at the BitFenix! I would like some overhead and also the possibility to upgrade safely in the near future.

15 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Be quiet Straight Power 11, 450 or 550W

Would like semi passive cooling

7 minutes ago, NielsG said:

I indeed would like it to be fully modular. I will try and a look at the BitFenix! I would like some overhead and also the possibility to upgrade safely in the near future.

You can upgrade safely with a 550W. Well, except for dual GPU cards and an overclocked, liquid cooled RX Vega 64 (that thing draws 450W by itself according to PCPer). 

A system with a 1080 Ti and an overclocked 7820X will draw under 400W from the wall. 550W is plenty. 

The better Be Quiet PSUs have good fans, you won't hear them under a light/no load. 

1 hour ago, NielsG said:

There is no advantage of a semi fanless operation, if you have a good quality fan that is rather quiet in operation.

And also you have electronics noise anyway, so there isn't really any advantage.

And a fan spinning at around 200rpm or so is hardly noticable at all, even with Ear next to PSU...

9 hours ago, seon123 said:

You can upgrade safely with a 550W. Well, except for dual GPU cards and an overclocked, liquid cooled RX Vega 64 (that thing draws 450W by itself according to PCPer). 

A system with a 1080 Ti and an overclocked 7820X will draw under 400W from the wall. 550W is plenty. 

The better Be Quiet PSUs have good fans, you won't hear them under a light/no load. 

I've had experience with power supplies that did not have enough wattage so I'd rather take some overhead in case of any problems.

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

There is no advantage of a semi fanless operation, if you have a good quality fan that is rather quiet in operation.

And also you have electronics noise anyway, so there isn't really any advantage.

I've had both active and semi-passive cooling, but I prefer the semi-passive cooling due to the less wear of the fan and the more silent operation.