Corsair RM650x or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

20 minutes ago, NielsG said:

I've had experience with power supplies that did not have enough wattage so I'd rather take some overhead in case of any problems.

I've had both active and semi-passive cooling, but I prefer the semi-passive cooling due to the less wear of the fan and the more silent operation.

Don't compare good PSUs to bad ones. That makes no sense. Actual measurements by professional reviewers trump anecdotes with bad PSUs.

Running a fan at a constant low RPM makes for less start stop cycles for the fan. And all PSUs from any decent brand are rated to run at a 100% load at their max temperature for the entirety of their warranty, so the fan shouldn't be an issue. 

The PC will have coil whine and other fans, so a low RPM fan won't be of any concern. 

:)

1 hour ago, NielsG said:

I've had both active and semi-passive cooling, but I prefer the semi-passive cooling due to the less wear of the fan and the more silent operation.

Yes, if you talk about a shitty fan like some Hong Hua or bad fan controllers like the Super Flower Platinum King, you are right.

But when talking about good fan controllers and decent/quiet fans, things are completely different.

The ones I've heard:
Chieftec Power Smart GPS-750V -> low fan RPM -> 350rpm, shit fan (Hong Hua, 140mm) so Annoying in Idle

Cougar GX-S 650W -> 700rpm idle, Okish (Globe Fan Sleeve, 120mm)

Cougar LX500 -> good, 500rpm Powerlogic HDB

be quiet Pure Power 10 400W -> good, 500rpm Custom be quiet

Cougar GX-600V3 -> good fan, high idle RPM (around 700rpm)

Bitfenix Whisper M 850W: Decent fan, idle RPM at the higher end (~700rpm) (450 and 550W have around 400rpm idle, so better)

Bitfenix Formula, 450W: decent fan, low idle RPM -> ~450rpm

Huntkey X7-1200W: shit fan

Super Flower Golden Green 550W (Silentmaxx): Fan not good, 2BB some annoying bearing noise.

Super Flower Platinum King: good fan, high idle RPM (900rpm)

Xilence Performance X, 750W: unexpected, very low idle RPM (350rpm, quiet fan).

And a couple of Semi Fanless ones: Seasonic P-660Km3, Corsair HX750i, Corsair Rm650i, Silverstone SX700-LPT, Silverstone ST75F-PT, Cooler Master Master Watt 550W, Leadex II 650/750W.

So what PSU do you have, what have you heard?!
Do you think you have heard close to what I've heard? I doubt that.

ANd if we are talking about the good/quiet unit like be quiet Pure Power 10 or Cougar LX500 you won't hear much about those. Same goes for the Xilence Performance X.

If we are talking about the worst one of the bunch like the Chieftec Power Smart and the Super Flower Platinum King, yes, those are annoying.

But the quietes ones of the list offer _NO ADVANTAGE_ over the Semi Fanless, quite the contrary!!

Some of the Semi Fanless ones don't need a Semi Fanless mode because they already have a good fan like the Corsair and the Silverstone ST-75F-PT.

Some need the Semi Fanless mode because the fan isn't particularly good like Seasonic P660, SX700-LPT and Cooler Master Master Watt.

And the Leadex has a bad fan controller.

So when I'm saying that Semi Fanless is useless, if you have a good low RPM fan (2000rpm or less), you can believe me.

You WANT Semi Fanless if you have a 2500-3000rpm fan. And those are mostly 1kW+ units...

But for a 550W with a good fan and fan controller its bullshit.

Less wear on the fan is just nonsense. That is true for every motor!

Go to the next car shop and ask him what's worse for the engine: Driving with medium RPM (like 2000rpm) at a constant velocity for 10h or 1h Stop and Go. 
And those Auto Stop things.

He will tell you the same as I do:
The wear is the least with constant fan RPM, without changes.

Starting the fan causes the most wear because the lubricant doesn't lube in the beginning and needs a minimum RPM for that to happen. 

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"