Are Pentiums Still Good?

I was thinking of building another like budget rig, but im questioning if i should go with a Pentium because there not exactly future proof, are they?

G4560 is the most budget oriented pentium right now, and is the forst pentium w/ hyperthreading

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

18 minutes ago, silasjdemone said:

I was thinking of building another like budget rig, but im questioning if i should go with a Pentium because there not exactly future proof, are they?

My response to this type of question is usually - what are you looking to do today? 

Future proofing is really difficult since how will you predict the future?

It also heavily depends on what you do now, and will do in the next 4 years.

G4560 will game pretty okay if that is what you are wondering about.

I'd suggest selecting a chip within your price range & looking at benchmarks where it uses a graphics card you plan to use.

That way you can make sure it performs somewhat up to your expectations :)

- Sfekke

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

43 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Future proofing is really difficult since how will you predict the future?

It also heavily depends on what you do now, and will do in the next 4 years.

G4560 will game pretty okay if that is what you are wondering about.

I'd suggest selecting a chip within your price range & looking at benchmarks where it uses a graphics card you plan to use.

That way you can make sure it performs somewhat up to your expectations :)

- Sfekke

Eh, I'd say nowadays a dual core is NOT sufficient anymore to game on. More and more games are becoming more CPU intensive where 4 cores is really required, (such as Battlefield 1, Witcher 3, GTA V, etc.). This will just keep continuing in the future, so I would not be building anything with a dual core except for browsing and office tasks.

So, no. Pentiums are not still good, depending on what you want to do.

EDIT: Sidenote, depends also on the games you want to run. If all you need is Minecraft, CS:GO and WoW, then yes, Pentium is good enough.

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

I wouldn't strictly count the pentium out vs all quad cores.  Of course I'd like to know the budget the OP has to work with but say a Ryzen 1200 isn't going to be that much greater in multithreaded tasks, at least paired with budget RAM.  However AM4 boards would be a nice place to start out small and then upgrade on the platform later.  That type of future proofing can be viable, but if your intention is to build it and leave it for 4-6 years I'd save for something better and perhaps wait for these GPU prices to fall.  Either that or look for older used hardware if available in your country.

Is it a rig you are planning to upgrade to a better CPU in the future? If not, a locked Haswell i5 + motherboard would probably cost about the same while allowing cheaper DDR3...

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

I currently have an old AM3+ system,

fx 4300

shitty adata ram 8gb

gtx 1050ti

500w power supply.

Gaming mainly is what i would use it for. I would be obviously using gpu/psu. I play, csgo, arma, would love to play squad, rust, lol, a few other randoms too

13 hours ago, maartendc said:

Eh, I'd say nowadays a dual core is NOT sufficient anymore to game on. More and more games are becoming more CPU intensive where 4 cores is really required, (such as Battlefield 1, Witcher 3, GTA V, etc.). This will just keep continuing in the future, so I would not be building anything with a dual core except for browsing and office tasks.

EDIT: Sidenote, depends also on the games you want to run. If all you need is Minecraft, CS:GO and WoW, then yes, Pentium is good enough.

My brother uses an Dual Core i5-4570T, not quite a Pentium but it is a 2 Core 4 Thread system.

Grand Theft Auto V/PUBG/Planetside 2/Arma II & III run great on mixed medium/high with a GTX 1060 6GB.

I do have to say he hits about 90% CPU usage on average, but it keeps a stable 60FPS with no input latency.

@silasjdemone if you plan to CS:GO,Arma (I presume 2 or 3) & Rust then a Dual Core shouldn't hold you back too much if it has hyperthreading & you do not plan to multitask while gaming. Watching a 720P video while playing a game or using Discord/Skype do work fine, but heavy 10+tab Chrome browsing chockes a poor dual core.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

I'd say go for a ryzen 3 cpu. It offers a platform which is going to be relevant at the very least this whole year. You can just slot in a better ryzen chip later and be great for a few more years. Going for the g4560 is not worth it IMO - it's not a great chip and the platform is dead so the best you can do later is slot in a 7700k.

Personally I enjoy my Pentium very much:

xZUs60m.jpg

Linus is my fetish.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)