I’m new and want to learn how PC’s work!

As the title states, I’m new and I’m trying to learn how PC’s work so I can one day build one myself. I was hoping you guys on here could help me find some resources in order to accomplish this. I would really appreciate it.

The ltt/techquickie  youtube channel

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

The newest video on how to build a PC seems to be from Gamers Nexus

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Speak to family and friends and local groups etc and get yourself some old hardware and just pull it apart and get stuck in. Best way.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

I guess I’m the odd one that didn’t grow up in the YouTube era to teach me, while I will admit it can be a good resource... the best resource is actually working on a computer.

Older computers can be had for real cheap and the experience you will gain with hands on can’t be matched, other options would be to hang out at a computer shop and ask a lot of questions, before you know it a guy will take you aside and allow you to watch.

There are a lot of little things in PC building that YouTube rarely gets into, things you learn along the way for better or for worse... I have seen a lot of new PC builders go through these little struggles that learned from YouTube.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

Welcome to the forums!

Glad to hear you're interested!

Linus tech tips YT channel gives you most of the general informantion and much more, if you're a fan of this forum that's where I would lead you first. His tech quickies are great if you want to learn specific things.

Then I would narrow it down, what  do you want to learn/know?

• Graphic cards (Giving you good FPS/graphics)
  • CPU (The brains of any build)
  • Motherboards (everything goes here, basically the backbone of your build)
  • RAM (How much stuff you can have running at the same time without lag.. Sort of)
  • Power supplies (wattage =/= quality)
  • Monitors (Woah this is a jungle. Inputs, input lag, refreshrate, connectivity, resolution and size)

Everything comes in different shapes, sizes, brands, models and performance. 

So making a build your own is always a treat!

Welcome! :D 

I hope you enjoy our forums. ;) 

We have an awesome and very helpful community that spans the globe!

Please be sure to visit the Community Standards page and review our Forum's rules.

Also, please visit this very helpful guide for new members when you have the time.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER