CPU Cooler Performance Tier List

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You can get fan clips from Noctua with proof of purchase. 

I thought you just mentioned NF-A12x25's being louder in the previous post?

Yes, it is louder than A15 when it is at full speed. There is some kind of resonance noise when two A12x25's are running at same speed, A15's also have such phenomenon but are not as prominent as A12x25's.

Edit: Currently, I am using three A12x25's as case intake fans. The resonance noise also presents when fan speed is higher than 1200~1400 rpm. After some testings, setting each fan with different rpm (e.g. 1600/1500/1400rpm ) reduces such noise, Setting them 50rpm apart greatly reduce the noise, while setting them 100rpm apart eliminates the noise ( at least I can't hear it ).

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

can you suggest a cpu cooler for 3700x for pbo+200mhz?

case is define mini c, region is southeast asia

edit: currently cpu runs hot, 88C when doing r20 without pbo... fan is also noisy.  Air cooler within my budget are scythe ninja 5. mugen 5 rev b, id-cooling se-207... or should i go for cheap AIO? or should I just get used dh-15 at 85 usd?

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
    Klevv Bolt X 3600mhz CL18 overclocked to 3600mhz CL18 @ 1.35V. (latency 67 ns)
  • GPU
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define Mini C Windowed
  • Storage
    1TB HDD from Toshiba, 250 gb Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Western Digital SN750
  • PSU
    Superflower Eco Silver 600W
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling
    Arctic freezer 34 esports duo, Arctic P12

3 hours ago, thirdparty said:

can you suggest a cpu cooler for 3700x for pbo+200mhz?

case is define mini c, region is southeast asia

edit: currently cpu runs hot, 88C when doing r20 without pbo... fan is also noisy.  Air cooler within my budget are scythe ninja 5. mugen 5 rev b, id-cooling se-207... or should i go for cheap AIO? or should I just get used dh-15 at 85 usd?

If you can get the NH-D15, that would be best. Make sure it comes with AM4 mounting hardware. 

Otherwise, the Ninja 5 is a good option. If you could find the Fuma 2 for a similar price, that would be a bit better. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you can get the NH-D15, that would be best. Make sure it comes with AM4 mounting hardware. 

Otherwise, the Ninja 5 is a good option. If you could find the Fuma 2 for a similar price, that would be a bit better. 

Thanks, i can find fuma rev.b  and ninja 5 at exact same price from same seller, which one should i go for? Also these two coolers both require me to take out motherboard from case to install right?

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling

5 hours ago, thirdparty said:

Thanks, i can find fuma rev.b  and ninja 5 at exact same price from same seller, which one should i go for? Also these two coolers both require me to take out motherboard from case to install right?

The Fuma Rev. B should perform better. What case and ram are you using?

Whether the motherboard needs to be removed or not depends on the case and the size and placement of the motherboard tray. Most modern cases come with one that allow access to the back of the motherboard for cooler installation. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Fuma Rev. B should perform better. What case and ram are you using?

Whether the motherboard needs to be removed or not depends on the case and the size and placement of the motherboard tray. Most modern cases come with one that allow access to the back of the motherboard for cooler installation. 

fractal design define mini C and klevv bolt x 3600 mhz. I also found another cpu cooler just now, CM MA620P (~ 40usd)

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling

39 minutes ago, thirdparty said:

fractal design define mini C and klevv bolt x 3600 mhz. I also found another cpu cooler just now, CM MA620P (~ 40usd)

The motherboard tray cutout should provide plenty of space for installing the cooler with the motherboard installed first. 

Bolt X is standard profile which fits fine under the Fuma Rev. B and nearly all coolers are designed to accommodate. The MA620P is not as good but is fine if you want to save money. 

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The motherboard tray cutout should provide plenty of space for installing the cooler with the motherboard installed first. 

Bolt X is standard profile which fits fine under the Fuma Rev. B and nearly all coolers are designed to accommodate. The MA620P is not as good but is fine if you want to save money. 

I am actually trying to save some money for 1tb ssd.. MA620p is capable for 3700x pbo+200mhz? Also see other cheap option snowman mt-6 double fan for less than 20usd... never heard of the brand before but someone told me it can handle 3900x.

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling

14 hours ago, thirdparty said:

I am actually trying to save some money for 1tb ssd.. MA620p is capable for 3700x pbo+200mhz? Also see other cheap option snowman mt-6 double fan for less than 20usd... never heard of the brand before but someone told me it can handle 3900x.

The MA620P should be fine. I'm not sure about the Snowman MT-6 though. 

50 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The MA620P should be fine. I'm not sure about the Snowman MT-6 though. 

I dropped the order for ninja 5. I prefer the design of it. Also I also want to try the potential of the heatsink one day if I ever get bored ( going to try them with corsair ml120 one day). 

Do you think it is a good ideal to exchange ml120s from my case front intakes to ninja 5, and the kaze flex fans onto front intake? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling

4 minutes ago, thirdparty said:

I dropped the order for ninja 5. I prefer the design of it. Also I also want to try the potential of the heatsink one day if I ever get bored ( going to try them with corsair ml120 one day). 

Do you think it is a good ideal to exchange ml120s from my case front intakes to ninja 5, and the kaze flex fans onto front intake? 

It's a tradeoff between system airflow and cpu cooling. I'd stick with the stock cooler fans. 

Hardware scientists videos shows that Arctic freezer 34 esports duo is better than mugen 5 in budget cooler comparison. In Fuma 2 review, it still shows that it performs better than fuma2. 

when i cross compare the results from his different videos, i found out that arctic freezer (90 C under 185w load) actually performs better than Phanteks Ph-tc14pe (93 C under 185w). Does that mean arctic freezer is actually underrated or this is an outlier?

image.thumb.jpeg.31f89f9b7cb94bd7d11b4af481565d96.jpeg

6896CFEC-4CE2-4187-8427-FBEC59EBC96A.png

Edited by thirdparty
Wrong name
  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling

7 hours ago, thirdparty said:

6896CFEC-4CE2-4187-8427-FBEC59EBC96A.png

Interesting info.

I didn't know that True Spirit 140 Power was so much worse than D15(s). 

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

2 hours ago, ThiccSmough said:

Interesting info.

tbf, i don't know how reliable is the info. I can't find the methodology or cpu he using for the test...

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling

Currently using CM Hyper 212 LED Turbo on R5 3600, getting up to 87c on Aida64 FPU stress test.

Would you choose

1) Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 at RM369 ($85)

2) Noctua NH-U12S Chromax at RM356 ($82)

Looking forward to bringing this cooler into future builds and upgrades so was initially leaning towards Noctua for its 6 years warranty vs Be Quiet (3 years), but prefer the looks of the Be Quiet.

Any opinions which would be better?

22 hours ago, thirdparty said:

Hardware scientists videos shows that Arctic freezer 34 esports duo is better than mugen 5 in budget cooler comparison. In Fuma 2 review, it still shows that it performs better than fuma2. 

when i cross compare the results from his different videos, i found out that arctic freezer (90 C under 185w load) actually performs better than Phanteks Ph-tc14pe (93 C under 185w). Does that mean arctic freezer is actually underrated or this is an outlier?

The Freezer 34 eSports Duo is a solid cooler and has some great showings and those results are among the better ones. There are also worse showings and it doesn't seem consistent enough to confidently say that it performs as well as the higher end 140mm coolers. 

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/arctic_freezer_34_esports_duo_review,7.html

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?296779-Arctic-Freezer-34-eSports-Duo

http://tech-legend.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports/3/

http://myc-media.de/be-quiet-pure-rock-2-im-test/

https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-review/6/

https://www.comptoir-hardware.com/articles/refroidissement/38752-test-arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo.html?start=3

https://youtu.be/lt4Erw5Midw?t=277

13 hours ago, ThiccSmough said:

The TS140P performance seems to be a bit inconsistent probably due to the convex base favoring some cpus and not others. AM4 doesn't seem to be one of its strengths. 

Here are a few different results:

https://whatnext.pl/silentiumpc-vero-l3-700w-test-recenzja-opinia/

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/7789/8/de-beste-processorkoelers-49-cpu-luchtkoelers-getest-testresultaten---koeling

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7160/thermalright-true-spirit-140-bw-rev-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

https://www.nikktech.com/main/articles/pc-hardware/cpu-cooling/cpu-air-coolers/3854-thermalright-true-spirit-140-power-cpu-cooler-review?start=5

10 hours ago, thirdparty said:

tbf, i don't know how reliable is the info. I can't find the methodology or cpu he using for the test...

Seems to be a 9700k. https://youtu.be/xzdWVQFXX9g?t=176

1 hour ago, Lee Pierre said:

Currently using CM Hyper 212 LED Turbo on R5 3600, getting up to 87c on Aida64 FPU stress test.

Would you choose

1) Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 at RM369 ($85)

2) Noctua NH-U12S Chromax at RM356 ($82)

Looking forward to bringing this cooler into future builds and upgrades so was initially leaning towards Noctua for its 6 years warranty vs Be Quiet (3 years), but prefer the looks of the Be Quiet.

Any opinions which would be better?

The two perform similarly but the DR4 is quieter so I'd go for that. The NH-U12S is probably better for future compatibility though. Either would be fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Want to update on arctic freezer 34 esport duo, feel cheap look cheap and scuffed.

box is dented, heatpipes are pinched, some of the paint has peel off. Performance wise not much improved from wraith prsim, 2-4 degree cooler with lower noise.( using aida stability test at same ambient temperature.

The tierlist is correct.

DFC991BA-9347-4136-B826-B60F58A93581.jpeg

D981C1E5-E189-450F-9367-C0B552597AB5.jpeg

021B0E22-23AC-4B97-9CF2-5BB544387FAD.jpeg

C4CECE26-F93F-40F9-AF16-FD1AAC8751F3.jpeg

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling

1 hour ago, thirdparty said:

heatpipes are pinched

That's normal as a result of how heatpipes are manufactured. A few coolers come with caps to cover it for aesthetics. 

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's normal as a result of how heatpipes are manufactured. A few coolers come with caps to cover it for aesthetics. 

I see, I thought it was returned good since there are some scratches over it. Half of the heatpipes have the caps with them and another half do not. Anyway, I am relieved now.

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling

14 hours ago, thirdparty said:

I see, I thought it was returned good since there are some scratches over it. Half of the heatpipes have the caps with them and another half do not. Anyway, I am relieved now.

Yep, the pipes are open on one end during production for the liquid before the other end is sealed shut. 

Gammaxx 400 v2 performs the same with the old one?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

17 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Gammaxx 400 v2 performs the same with the old one?

I'm not sure but they seem similar. 

In these tests, they both seem similarly better than the similar GT and GTE:

https://youtu.be/3OsI_Tqbe64?t=292

https://youtu.be/7UDhuelOWCU?t=403

Deepcool Gammaxx L360 V2 vs Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240 and 360 ?

2 of the cheapest aio, i know the arctic freezer II is good

On 6/14/2020 at 2:08 AM, gasolin said:

Deepcool Gammaxx L360 V2 vs Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240 and 360 ?

2 of the cheapest aio, i know the arctic freezer II is good

I don't see many reviews of the Gammaxx L360 V2 so I'm not sure how it compares. At the very least, the Liquid Freezer II is hard to go wrong with. 

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I don't see many reviews of the Gammaxx L360 V2 so I'm not sure how it compares. At the very least, the Liquid Freezer II is hard to go wrong with. 

Those 2 are the cheapest 360mm aio's

I would like to see more reviews of the Gammaxx L360 V2 since a regular radiator is 25-30 mm thick but the arctic cooler is 38mm thick and that could be more of a problem than the lenght of the cooler and as i understand it Deepcool makes ther own pump, no asetek or coolit pump, i even heard someone say corsair once used a Deepcool pump or a  deepcool made aio