Projects for git and take up time

HeaterUp

Hello I am a junior and college and I've recently been looking into the fact that I need a way to show off programs I write (git) but now I'm just kinda looking for ideas as far as what looks good and what are some projects in general that I could do that will fill up some free time and keep me off my normal games. (Please don't recommend for me to build a game :))))))))))) ) listed in the tags is my main points of focus as far as what Id like to show case and what I'm most sufficient in (but always looking to learn more(but fuck java, java is boring)). Anyways any pointers, tips, or suggestions will be appreiciated. Thanks.

Tldr: I'm looking for a project (not a game )I can work on in some spare time that I can also show case on my git.

If you are building some sort of portfolio it might be better too think about clean and structured code, making a unique project is hard AF.

Writing good clean structured code is what good companies look for imo.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

well with that kind of skill set i assume youre looking for more hardware related stuff right? how about home automation? get a (couple of) raspberry and start coding whatever you feel would be nice. like automated windows blinds. making it confidentially detect wther youre home or not. even people tracking in your apartment isnt out of the question. or go robotic. i always wanted to build a spherical robot that was fast enough to  follow a car and then somehow mount a camera in there for really awesome footage. i mean if youre a junior and already out of ideas man thats rough. just think about what you would find cool to have or make no matter if you have the skills and then slowly figure out the skills neccessary.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Another thing to consider is looking at open source projects, you'll be able to help out on larger projects.

I find its easier to help out and keep motivated if the project you are helping out on is something you use a decent amount or if not, its something you could see yourself using if it just had X feature....so you get to add that feature (assuming it fits with the project etc).

That said, its also usually easier to help join in with projects that are still growing, there is more to do and less people doing it, so you can make a bigger impact!

Plus all of it goes on your GitHub etc profile. Might not add repos directly, but your contributions are counted, plus helping others with issues and such.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

6 hours ago, HeaterUp said:

Tldr: I'm looking for a project (not a game )I can work on in some spare time that I can also show case on my git.

That's what I've been working on lately. As I'm going through things, solving fun projects, I'm identifying things that can be reused, such as Baille-PSW tests, Prime Factoring algorithms, Trees of various types, Priority Queues... And I'm building a library of these things so that I can reuse them later.

I find that helps me to build shareable code without getting burned out by working on one boring thing (for example, building seven different types of binary search trees in one go is terribly boring, but adding one when I need it's performance or features makes it useful and less boring).  

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 1/31/2018 at 2:59 AM, HeaterUp said:

Hello I am a junior and college and I've recently been looking into the fact that I need a way to show off programs I write (git) but now I'm just kinda looking for ideas as far as what looks good and what are some projects in general that I could do that will fill up some free time and keep me off my normal games. (Please don't recommend for me to build a game :))))))))))) ) listed in the tags is my main points of focus as far as what Id like to show case and what I'm most sufficient in (but always looking to learn more(but fuck java, java is boring)). Anyways any pointers, tips, or suggestions will be appreiciated. Thanks.

I know you dont want to build a game but..... go build yourself a game. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I'm really biased on this one, as a game programmer, we look for people who have actually made games in their spare time :p. If you are not looking to enter that particular industry then it depends

what you want to go for. If you wanna go into web, then a website with your own back end stack would be nice to see. If you are more hardware oriented, maybe a build a few robots powered by arduinos or raspberry pies. Maybe even a combination of the two? Mobile media player on wheels? Skies the limit

As someone that really likes graphics stuff, you could try looking into making something with opengl or a raytracer. What's neat about a raytracer is you can keep adding features to it while at it's core it's pretty simplistic. So basically you could make a basic ray caster, then add lighting, shadows, reflections, refractions, volumentrics, etc. but at every point you've got something that's at least somewhat neat.