RM650X MAKES A POPPING NOISE

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
21 hours ago, EdinPC said:

I am afraid that I have just fried my entire PC :/ 

Seriously doubt your components are fried.

But I do have to wonder why you keep having these issues.

You didn't accidentally screw the PSU into the case using the wrong screw holes, did you?  Or perhaps the wrong screws (too long)?  This is, unfortunately, fairly common:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168396

13 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

it happens with my 750w Thermaltake

Well thank you for sharing, now i know what not to replace it with. This PSU has traumatized me enough.

Just now, brotalnia said:

Well thank you for sharing, now i know what not to replace it with. This PSU has traumatized me enough.

I mean, there are probably 2 dozen 750w Thermaltake units... Stop acting as if this is some issue... It's just the bulk caps recharging. Most *GOOD* units will make a similar noise when you turn them on the way you do.

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

Why were you turning off power to the PSU all the time? Modern PSUs are meant to always be plugged in. As you would have noticed by reading this thread. 

I do it too, but only before I go to sleep or leave the house for the day.

Not for a couple of hours...

Nothing Wrong with that, if the time disconnecting is on the longer side like 6h+ or more.

IMO it makes sense before going to sleep and/or going to work. Other than that, not soo much...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I'd like to reply with chucks of quotes, but since this forum software is defective when attempting to copy and paste into the editor, I'll just type a big block of text instead.

brotalnia:  Welcome to the forums.  How long did it take you to find this one thread with someone having the same problem as you?  If you Google anything long enough, you will find someone with the same problem.  That doesn't make a product inherently defective.  You are two people out of millions of people that have bought that PSU.

I have a funny pain in my left elbow.  I spent about 10 minutes Googling about it and it turns out that I may be a leper.

Now, it is odd that this happened to both of you TWICE.  But to me, that means there's outside variables causing this.  I don't know your build.  I don't know your standby load.  I don't know how stable your mains voltage is.  I don't know if your neutral and hot are correctly wired.  I don't know if your outlets are properly Earth grounded.....

I will say that more efficient PSUs have more complex circuits and some of the parts that have to be used to reduce efficiency aren't as robust as lesser efficient units because they have to use less power.  Of course, I don't know exactly what part failed, though I am curious.  The best way to find out is for you to do an FA (Failure Analysis) RMA with Corsair so they can make sure an engineer looks at your PSU instead of just throwing it on a pile of PSUs labeled "dead".  If you do your RMA with Corsair, you can ask for that and direct them to this forum thread.

I will say that switching your PSU off and on multiple times a day is not normal.  You're actually saving very little power by doing so and if you have anything on the +5V standby that is using power when the PC is "off" that is causing a measurable load, then that's something you can resolve in your BIOS or by plugging different things into different ports (as some support +5VSB power while others don't).

And by simply "switching off" the PSU, you're not protecting it from lightning.  Just because mains power isn't flowing doesn't mean a direct lightning strike is not going to travel down ANY of your conductors.  The only sure fire solution is unplugging EVERYTHING.  But you shouldn't have to do that.   That's what surge suppressors are for.  And if you're really prone to lightning strikes (i.e. Florida), you buy a really good one that has an LED that tells you if it's still protecting or not.

The PSU meets Intel's ATX standards which means the PSU is put into standby, not shut off, when not in use.  That said, the new Intel ATX standard wants to be able to do an "alternative sleep mode" which will require the PSU to switch on and off for only a few seconds, potentially several times within a day.  They also expect higher efficiency at 2% load.  So for that, the front end of PSUs moving forward (if they want to meet Intel's DSG) will have to be completely redesigned.

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'd like to reply with chucks of quotes, but since this forum software is defective when attempting to copy and paste into the editor, I'll just type a big block of text instead.

Because you are using it wrong and try to programm your stuff like on the good old YaBB.

You have to think like a modern Tablett/mobile thing and use it with the Clicky Buttons...

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I will say that switching your PSU off and on multiple times a day is not normal.

Yeah, I agree with that.

One time a day switch it on, one time a day off.

• 1 month later...

So after digging around I actually needed some help because every opinion is divided...some say omg Sparks just rma it it's broken or something and I've seen some more mature replies like there you're offering here. Before I start freaking out or something (ryzen 1700 gtx1080) I need to be at least kinda sure of what's happening. I'm having the same problem with this guy,about Sparks and pops,BUT the difference is that I can't actually let the PC on. I'm living in a kinda dorm,where when you go out you take the card with you kinda like a hotel. So I kinda started having some pops and Sparks on my rmx650 after one year of switching it off and on like 2 times a day. Interestingly enough I started paying attention to those since last month but everything works fine. It's really unsettling though seeing sparks twice a week or something. Should I just get a new one? Sorry for the long post.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:39 AM, awesomegamer919 said:

Because people are idiots who don't bother to research anything.

@jonnyGURUHas Corsair tested what happens to the NTC Thermistor when you spend 2 years constantly stressing it? That's my only guess why 2 units died like that, other than random failures of course...

Yeah.  It's not the thermistor, but the mechanical bypass relay used to bypass the thermistor.  It's a mechanical part (datasheet for one commonly used:  http://www.hongfa.com/pro/pdf/HF32FA_en.pdf

They're not going to hold up to constantly flipping the mains power on and off to the PSU.

The solution, from a PSU design standpoint, is to replace with a MOSFET, but this costs more.

People just need to realize that these parts (the bypass relay) are used to IMPROVE standby efficiency and eliminate the need to constantly shut off their PSU instead of putting the system into standby mode as they are designed to do.

I understand that people that don't realize how PSUs work or even how PC's work fear things like vampire power or power surges, but fact of the matter is, one of the reasons you buy a better PSU is so you don't have to worry about these things and stop being so paranoid and flipping off the mains two or three times a day.

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  It's not the thermistor, but the mechanical bypass relay used to bypass the thermistor.  It's a mechanical part (datasheet for one commonly used:  http://www.hongfa.com/pro/pdf/HF32FA_en.pdf

They're not going to hold up to constantly flipping the mains power on and off to the PSU.

The solution, from a PSU design standpoint, is to replace with a MOSFET, but this costs more.

People just need to realize that these parts (the bypass relay) are used to IMPROVE standby efficiency and eliminate the need to constantly shut off their PSU instead of putting the system into standby mode as they are designed to do.

I understand that people that don't realize how PSUs work or even how PC's work fear things like vampire power or power surges, but fact of the matter is, one of the reasons you buy a better PSU is so you don't have to worry about these things and stop being so paranoid and flipping off the mains two or three times a day.

So in my case I just need to buy a new psu in case this one fails right? 

Why not just let it shut off when you pull the key card?  Why physically turn it off at all?

Just make sure the setting in the BIOS for "state after power failure" is set to "off" so it doesn't turn the PC back on as soon as you put the key card back in.

2 hours ago, itzifusion666 said:

So in my case I just need to buy a new psu in case this one fails right? 

If it dies after 10 years, sure.  If it dies within 10 years: That's what warranties are for.

check the vid. i dont think its safe to use it on a daily basis till it pops. i think i might just rma it now before things might end up dead

1 hour ago, itzifusion666 said:

check the vid. 

What "vid"? 

theres a video at the end of the paragraph ''VID....mp4""

Not in my browser.

That's quite the arc.  Is your outlet properly grounded?

i think it is i have yet to encounter leakage. i cant do much for the outlet either though because im in a dorm. Maybe this has to do with humidity?

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, lp149 said:

A) Welcome to the forums
B) Please don't just link to other forums, most people aren't going to read it. You'll get more help if you explain your issue here on this forum, then we will be able to better help.
C) " Jan 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM " That post you linked to is 7 and a half years old. The RMx series of power supplies weren't even made back in 2011.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Is it that what we're talking about??

Though the old RMx IIRC doesn't have a relay...

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

A) Welcome to the forums
B) Please don't just link to other forums, most people aren't going to read it. You'll get more help if you explain your issue here on this forum, then we will be able to better help.
C) " Jan 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM " That post you linked to is 7 and a half years old. The RMx series of power supplies weren't even made back in 2011.

Feel free to read the second page... it's not a long thread. In short, I was showing my disapproval at Corsair not resolving this matter even after 7 years where the issue still stands with the new RMx series. It seems using cheap components, and then to RMA units that are switched off at the wall socket is the cheaper option.

Bottom line - don't buy a Corsair PSU if you don't want issues down the track.

this thread makes me lol and makes me feel bad for @jonnyGURU  trying so hard to explain things.... Disclaimer: I have an RM650x and it works fine. (I take care of it though)

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

2 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

this thread makes me lol and makes me feel bad for @jonnyGURU  trying so hard to explain things.... Disclaimer: I have an RM650x and it works fine. (I take care of it though) 

can you explain what you mean by take care...

2 minutes ago, lp149 said:

can you explain what you mean by take care...

I plugged it in and left it alone

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

6 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

I plugged it in and left it alone

Right... and you better not unplug it then, say when moving house, or using the vacuum. Wouldn't want to risk stuffing it up with that one flick of the wall switch. It's all downhill from there. Have fun, and keep laughing!

• 7 months later...

Hello friends.

This happens to me too. I have a Corsair RM850. When I switch on, sometimes there is a loud popping sound and a spark at the socket where the power cable enters. To eliminate it from happening, I make sure that the switch of the power supply (at the back) is OFF. I switch on the Mains switch of the wall. I let about 5 seconds to pass then I switch ON the power supply. Then of course I switch ON the computer from its switch.

Let me know if this works for you.