RM650X MAKES A POPPING NOISE

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
21 hours ago, EdinPC said:

I am afraid that I have just fried my entire PC :/ 

Seriously doubt your components are fried.

But I do have to wonder why you keep having these issues.

You didn't accidentally screw the PSU into the case using the wrong screw holes, did you?  Or perhaps the wrong screws (too long)?  This is, unfortunately, fairly common:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168396

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. First post on this forum so apologies if I have done anything incorrectly. 

A couple of years back I built my first PC, but after a year I ran into some issues. My PSU (Corsair RM650x) kept making like popping noises every time I switched my extension block on. Sometimes, flashes of light would appear at the back of the PSU - as if it was arching. 

I naively just carried on with things because I didn't have the time to do any investigating. However, inevitability, a few weeks later the computer would not turn on. 

I contacted Corsair, and through the RMA process I got a brand new RM650x sent out. 

However, a year later - the same problem is happening again. When I switch my extension block on there is a popping noise coming from the back of the PSU, and sometimes a flash of light - as if it is arching (again). 

My extension block (4-way Belkin surge protected) is plugged into the wall behind my desk and is hard to reach, so is left permanently on at the wall. 

The block itself has a switch on it. I switch this off when I am finished using my PC.

However, switching it back on this causes this popping noise to happen. Is it possible that something is building up inside the capacitors when the PSU/extension block is powered off for a while? Thus, causing this sudden discharge / popping when being turned back on? 

Any help would be hugely appreciated, thank you. 

Having two RMx's fail is either really unlucky, or something is causing them to fail.

Are you able to power the PC from a different plug socket or extension, to see if it still has the popping?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

It probably could be because you're pulling off of an extension and into the wall. Why not tun the PSU off the wall outlets?

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Having two RMx's fail is either really unlucky, or something is causing them to fail.

Are you able to power the PC from a different plug socket or extension, to see if it still has the popping?

I only have the one extension block. But the extension block itself is plugged into a double-socket on the wall - I could switch which one is it plugged in to (left to right)? 

Just now, PerfectPlasma said:

It probably could be because you're pulling off of an extension and into the wall. Why not tun the PSU off the wall outlets?

Sorry, are you saying that I should be plugging my PSU from the PC directly into the wall?

7 minutes ago, EdinPC said:

Sorry, are you saying that I should be plugging my PSU from the PC directly into the wall?

Yeah.

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

35 minutes ago, PerfectPlasma said:

Yeah.

I thought this was extremely advised against though? Because then there is no protection against surges... 

2 minutes ago, EdinPC said:

extremely advised against though?

Maybe? But more often than not if you're in a place where surges are often you'll be better off with an external battery instead

1 hour ago, EdinPC said:

I thought this was extremely advised against though? Because then there is no protection against surges... 

Are you flicking the switch on the extension while the PSU switch (on the back of the PSU, but the cable connection) is still at the ON position?

If so, that might be why.

The PSU is still capable of providing some power while off, typically to keep some LEDs on the motherboard on, USB ports dedicated for charging devices, etc.

Hitting the switch on the extension block is no different from unplugging the PSU from the wall socket by pulling the cable.

turn the PSU off with the little black switch on the back, THEN hit the switch on the extension...and see if your problem still persists.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

On 1/27/2018 at 11:00 AM, RKRiley said:

It's not a failure.  It's normal.   The main caps are completely drained and the large inrush is causing an arcing and popping noise.

My first question is:  Why in the world are you shutting down the mains whenever you're not using the PC?  That simply doesn't make sense to me.  It's not to protect the PC from surges since you have a decent surge strip.  Do you think you're saving any power by doing this?

On 27/01/2018 at 9:24 PM, -rascal- said:

Are you flicking the switch on the extension while the PSU switch (on the back of the PSU, but the cable connection) is still at the ON position?

If so, that might be why.

The PSU is still capable of providing some power while off, typically to keep some LEDs on the motherboard on, USB ports dedicated for charging devices, etc.

Hitting the switch on the extension block is no different from unplugging the PSU from the wall socket by pulling the cable.

turn the PSU off with the little black switch on the back, THEN hit the switch on the extension...and see if your problem still persists.

Sorry for the delay in replying, been super busy with uni work!

Yes I was switching the extension on/off whilst the PSU switch on the back of the PSU was still in the on position. 

I have tried doing this: turn the PC off, switch it off at the PSU switch at the back, turn the extension block off... (wait a day)... turn the extension switch back on (get no noise or popping), but then when I switch the PSU switch on at the back of the PSU I still get the same popping noise.

On 29/01/2018 at 6:35 AM, jonnyGURU said:

It's not a failure.  It's normal.   The main caps are completely drained and the large inrush is causing an arcing and popping noise.

My first question is:  Why in the world are you shutting down the mains whenever you're not using the PC?  That simply doesn't make sense to me.  It's not to protect the PC from surges since you have a decent surge strip.  Do you think you're saving any power by doing this?

Well because it's a 4-way extension block with my: PC, monitor, speakers and a desk lamp all plugged into it. So when I'm not using the PC, leaving the extension block on would cause all these devices to be in 'standby' no? Thus, using a small amount of power if I'm not mistaken?

That's why I switch the extension block off at night or whenever I'm not using my PC.

Plug the PC into a different strip or something.  You have two huge capacitors that have to recharge every time you deplete them of power.  They fully charge in < 170ms.  That's a hell of an in-rush.

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Plug the PC into a different strip or something.  You have two huge capacitors that have to recharge every time you deplete them of power.  They fully charge in < 170ms.  That's a hell of an in-rush.

So you recommend just never switching the PC off at the switch then...?

UPDATE:

Switched the PC off via Windows when I went to bed last night, then switched it off at the back (PSU switch) - but I left the extension block switched on.

Returned back to the PC this morning, extension block obviously still on so didn't touch that, so I just switched the switch on the back of the PSU, and it still makes a popping noise..

Surely Corsair cannot manufacture PSU's that can't handle being turned on and off? Else what's the point in putting a switch on the things...? 

Who said the PSU can't handle it?  YOU can't handle it.  I already said it's not defective and normal.

Whether you flip the switch on the strip or the back of the PSU, you're cutting power to the bulk caps and those caps have to recharge when they're drained.

Modern PCs aren't supposed to be switched on and off all the time.  They're supposed to remain in standby.  That's also why there are so many regulations for maintaining the best standby efficiency.  Because it's KNOWN that a PC is always going to have vampire power.  They just try to achieve the lowest vampire power possible.  

If you are obsessed with turning you PC off every night now, then the next generation Intel chipset is going to make your brain hurt with the "Alternative Sleep Mode" and the PC's ability to "wake up" (but not turn on) in order to do updates, check email, etc. on chip while keeping the PC in standby.

2 hours ago, EdinPC said:

So you recommend just never switching the PC off at the switch then...?

Yes.  That's what I recommend.  That's how ATX power supplies are designed to work.

22 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Who said the PSU can't handle it?  YOU can't handle it.  I already said it's not defective and normal.

Whether you flip the switch on the strip or the back of the PSU, you're cutting power to the bulk caps and those caps have to recharge when they're drained.

Modern PCs aren't supposed to be switched on and off all the time.  They're supposed to remain in standby.  That's also why there are so many regulations for maintaining the best standby efficiency.  Because it's KNOWN that a PC is always going to have vampire power.  They just try to achieve the lowest vampire power possible.  

If you are obsessed with turning you PC off every night now, then the next generation Intel chipset is going to make your brain hurt with the "Alternative Sleep Mode" and the PC's ability to "wake up" (but not turn on) in order to do updates, check email, etc. on chip while keeping the PC in standby.

Okay, there's no need to be so obnoxious and aggressive... I just wanted some simple advice since I don't know much about PSU's/Electronics - not some snappy hostile reply as if I work at Corsair's Technical Team and this knowledge should be 'obvious' to me. I thought that was the whole point of these forums? To help people who know less than you - not to treat them as idiots and that all PC knowledge should be second nature to them.

And I'm not "obsessed" with turning my PC off every night - I am a student and I'm just simply trying to save a few pennies where I can. Plus, not exactly going to harm the environment by switching things off at night, is it? That's what you have drilled into you at school and on TV from a young age - always turn things OFF and don't leave them in STANDBY, because devices in STANDBY still consume some energy. 

I'm snippy because I already told you it was normal... WHY it happens and then you come back with the same assumption you started with:  The PSU is bad and that somehow it can't handle what you're trying to do.

Maybe you missed or misunderstood my posts.  If so, I apologize.  

Yes.  These forums are here to help one another, but that means if you ask for help, explanations, etc. that you actually READ and acknowledge that maybe someone knows what they're talking about and should be heeded.

Anyway... You COULD prevent this if the bulk caps can keep their charge while the PC is off.  The reason it's doing it sometimes and not others is because you have something plugged into the PC that is using the +5VSB while the PC is off.  This is draining the caps.  It's likely you have a device plugged into a USB port somewhere that is "on" even though the PC is "off".  If there is no load on the DC side of the PC, then you don't drain the caps (those caps can hold a charge for a VERY long time).  But if they're drained, then they have to charge back up again.  That's what's causing the in-rush that makes the "pop" you're hearing/seeing.

• 3 months later...

Update:  Have been leaving both the extension block, and the switch on the back of the PSU, turned 'On', and just been switching the PC on/off using the power button on the top of the case, as advised by @jonnyGURU

However, I went to switch the PC on this evening (using power button at the top, like normal) and it made a loud popping / sparking noise, and the PC turned itself off. I am afraid that I have just fried my entire PC :/ please see this thread:

21 hours ago, EdinPC said:

I am afraid that I have just fried my entire PC :/ 

Seriously doubt your components are fried.

But I do have to wonder why you keep having these issues.

You didn't accidentally screw the PSU into the case using the wrong screw holes, did you?  Or perhaps the wrong screws (too long)?  This is, unfortunately, fairly common:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168396

• 2 months later...

Hey, i just want to say that the exact same thing happened to me. I bought this exact PSU 2 years ago, and when turning on the power it would often make a popping noise. Then a year ago it broke - when i turned on the power it made a really loud POP noise and it wouldn't turn on anymore. It was still in warranty, so i had it replaced by a new one, and after a few days the new psu started making the popping noise too! Today the same thing happened as a year ago, very loud POP when turning on the power, and it was dead.

There is definitely something very wrong with this exact model. To everyone who stumbles upon this thread, do not buy a Corsair RM650X power supply! And no i wasn't turning it on wrong, i tried turning it off from the button in the back of the psu before switching the power strip on, but it would still make the popping noise upon turning the psu on. I tried taking out the cable from the power strip, turning the power strip on, and the plugging in the power cable, and it would still pop. There is no way to avoid it. This model is defective.

1 minute ago, brotalnia said:

-snip-

Why were you turning off power to the PSU all the time? Modern PSUs are meant to always be plugged in. As you would have noticed by reading this thread. 

:)

13 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why were you turning off power to the PSU all the time? Modern PSUs are meant to always be plugged in. As you would have noticed by reading this thread. 

Because people are idiots who don't bother to research anything.

@jonnyGURUHas Corsair tested what happens to the NTC Thermistor when you spend 2 years constantly stressing it? That's my only guess why 2 units died like that, other than random failures of course...

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

How am i an idiot for doing something that is very common, thunderstorm-proof, and eco-friendly practice? And that i have done with any other PC i have owned without issues. No other PSU i have ever owned has made that popping noise. I've never had a PSU break on me before ever. Where i live thunderstorms are quite common, and often there will be a power surge during the storm which can burn up any electronics that are plugged in, so it is normal practice to turn off things you are not using. My grandfather lost his TV a few years ago because it was plugged into the wall during a storm. Anything that is plugged into an active power strip is consuming electricity, and there is no reason for that when you are not currently using it.

The fact that the exact same thing happened to both of us, TWICE, shows its this model that is in the wrong. It is not normal for a PSU to make a loud popping noise every time the power is switched on. There was literally no way to avoid it, plug it into the wall - POP, turn it off and on from the switch on the back of the psu - POP, turn on the power strip on - POP. That is a serious design flaw. My other PC has a cheaper SeaSonic PSU and it has never had that problem.

How am i an idiot for doing something that is very common, thunderstorm-proof, and eco-friendly practice? And that i have done with any other PC i have owned without issues. No other PSU i have ever owned has made that popping noise. I've never had a PSU break on me before ever. Where i live thunderstorms are quite common, and often there will be a power surge during the storm which can burn up any electronics that are plugged in, so it is normal practice to turn off things you are not using. My grandfather lost his TV a few years ago because it was plugged into the wall during a storm. Anything that is plugged into an active power strip is consuming electricity, and there is no reason for that when you are not currently using it.

Other PSU's you've owned obviously had low capacity bulk caps and did not meet the ATX hold up time specifications (Or you just never drained the caps), either way, it's a non-issue, turning off your PSU at the wall every time you stop using your PC is not normal... If power surges are a major issue then get a good surge protector and a more efficient PSU to offset the (tiny amount) of power used by the surge protector...

The fact that the exact same thing happened to both of us, TWICE, shows its this model that is in the wrong. It is not normal for a PSU to make a loud popping noise every time the power is switched on. There was literally no way to avoid it, plug it into the wall - POP, turn it off and on from the switch on the back of the psu - POP, turn on the power strip on - POP. That is a serious design flaw. My other PC has a cheaper SeaSonic PSU and it has never had that problem.

As Jon said, it's normal, it happens with my 750w Thermaltake, stop fear mongering... Do you know how PSUs work internally? No? Stop acting like you do then. 

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen