Need help configuring NVIDIA Control Panel for 2 displays

Go to solution Solved by emosun,
4 minutes ago, YonathanZ said:

So Extended is the way to go, then?

If you want both monitors to display at their native resolution , yes.

and keep in mind with programs and games , you mouse dictates what's in the foreground at all time , if your mouse travel off the screen of your game to the other monitor and the game isn't programed for it , when you click , you're clicking the desktop which will bring the desktop to the foreground. this will happen with basically any program that doesn't know to keep the mouse on a single screen.

also , turning your tv off doesn't tell the computer to disable the monitor , only unplugging the tv will let the computer know to disable it automatically

Hi,

I have two devices connected to my GTX 970:

1. A Dell monitor with a 1920x1200 resolution (via DVI).

2. A Denon AVR which is connected to a 1080p TV (both via HDMI).

The speakers are connected to the AVR, so I can never have the Denon display deactivated, in order for audio to work.

The problem is that the NVIDIA Control Panel confuses between the two devices. While it identifies them properly, when I set the display mode to Duplicated, it sends the same 1080p signal to both devices, which means that everything looks weird on the Dell monitor, because it's 1200p.

Things only look good when I set the dual display mode to Extend, but then my mouse pointer gets lost because it wanders to the TV which is almost always off.

The problem also occurs in video games, where games only let me set up a resolution of up to 1080p, because they think the Denon AVR is the display. 

What is the proper way to set this up?

Thanks.

if you send a 1200p signal to a 1080p display it will be like 'what do i do with this' and turn off... so your audio would turn off. 

She/Her

What I need is for the NVIDIA GPU to send the proper signal to each device. Question is, how do I do this...

7 minutes ago, YonathanZ said:

when I set the display mode to Duplicated, it sends the same 1080p signal to both devices

hence the term "duplicated".......

you cannot duplicate a resolution on monitors that don't nativly support that resolution an expect it to look correct. your monitors aren't duplicates of each other , so why would you assume you can duplicate them?

sorry if that sounded patronizing but it's been this way ever since dual monitors started to exist on windows machines decades ago.

second , stop using the nivdia control panel to set resolutions and use windows display properties instead. no reason to use nvidias control panel ever really. 

oh , and welcome to the world of dual monitors , where mice disappear off screen and there's nothing you can do about it.

I thought Duplicate means 'display the same content on both displays', not 'use the same resolution for both displays'...

1 minute ago, YonathanZ said:

I thought Duplicate means 'display the same content on both displays', not 'use the same resolution for both displays'

if the content (your desktop)..... is 1080 resolution......

then guess what it's gonna do

4 minutes ago, YonathanZ said:

So Extended is the way to go, then?

and keep in mind with programs and games , you mouse dictates what's in the foreground at all time , if your mouse travel off the screen of your game to the other monitor and the game isn't programed for it , when you click , you're clicking the desktop which will bring the desktop to the foreground. this will happen with basically any program that doesn't know to keep the mouse on a single screen.

also , turning your tv off doesn't tell the computer to disable the monitor , only unplugging the tv will let the computer know to disable it automatically

2 hours ago, emosun said:

Unplugging the TV won't help either, because the GPU sees the AVR, not the TV that's connected to it. And without the AVR, there's no sound, so I guess I'll learn to live with Extended mode. CoD WWII seems to work fine, it let me choose the display.