8 PS4s on LAN??

morte9933

hi guys i need to how to connect 8 or more PS4s to a single Network? if its possible please tell me he way to do it? Thanks

Plug them into whatever the buildings network is , and that's it. 

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

could the same be achieved with a network switch? o_o serious newb question

Yes the switch would assign an IP per system

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

23 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Yes the switch would assign an IP per system

It would not. Most switches are L2 only and you need a router to assign IP addresses.

If you have an L3 capable switch then yes it can act as a DHCP server.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

so locally speaking:

Router < L2 Switch <<< many machines

and

nothing < L3 Switch <<< many machines?

Correct.

In the case of Windows at least it can use a mechanism called APIPA to create addresses in the 169.254.0.0/16 space if no DHCP server is found.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

far in the past, during the time of IPX, you didnt need a layer 3 network, you could just plug your machines into a layer 2 network and game on LAN.

even farther in the past , you could literally plug a network cable into an xbox.....

then plug the other end into another xbox to link them , no network needed at all. lol

5 hours ago, morte9933 said:

hi guys i need to how to connect 8 or more PS4s to a single Network? if its possible please tell me he way to do it? Thanks

Okay, so in this network, I'm assuming you already have Internet. Yes?

Are we talking a home setup, or school/business, etc?

If home setup:

1. You already have a Router.

2. Buy a 16-port Switch (You can't use an 8-port switch because you need 8 for the PS4's, and a 9th for the uplink to the router).

(Eg: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704087CVF)

3. Plug the switch into one of the free LAN ports on the router.

4. Plug all PS4's into the switch.

AAaaaaand you're done. All the PS4's should then acquire an IP Address from your Router. They should have internet access, and be able to communicate with each other.

Though I have no idea if PS4's support multi-console LAN play.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thanks for all the replys guys and this is for a game cafe. i see in many game competitions they do this what i dont know is how to get this done. so as u guys say i need a 16 port layer 3 switch and is that it?

5 hours ago, morte9933 said:

Thanks for all the replys guys and this is for a game cafe. i see in many game competitions they do this what i dont know is how to get this done. so as u guys say i need a 16 port layer 3 switch and is that it?

No, any 16 port unmanaged (layer 2) switch will work. Only get layer 3 stuff if you know what you're doing with vlans / routing in networking. haha.

7 hours ago, morte9933 said:

You do not want a Layer 3 switch - there is a certain level of skill needed to know what to do with one, how to configure it, etc, and I think it's safe to claim (no offense) that you don't have those skills.

All you need to do is this:

1. Take your existing internet access, through your existing router.

2. Buy a 16-port unmanaged switch (Eg: This guy https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156509&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=16-port_switch-_-33-156-509-_-Product)

3. Take an ethernet cable, plug one end into one of the LAN ports on your existing router. Plug the other end into any port on the 16-Port Switch.

4. Plug each PS4 into the empty ports on the switch.

You'll end up with 9 ports used (1 port for the uplink to the Router, and 8 ports for the PS4's).

This will allow Internet Access on all of the PS4's, and will also ensure that your existing DHCP Server on the router will hand out IP Addresses automatically, without you having to fiddle with things or assign static IP's or configure things you're not familiar with.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)