2 Router setup NAT type issue

Hello,

We have Century Link 1000/1000 fiber to our house. We are using their Technicolor C2100T as the receiving router for the DSL line. Due to the house size and wall thickness I am using my Netgear R7500 in Access Point mode to extend wifi and create ports for my various components.

The issue we run into when trying to play certain games is we always have Moderate or Strict NAT type. I found online Port fowarding from main router to the AP router, but I could not figure out what Port ranges to use. 

Does anyone else use a setup that is similar?

Any insight is welcome.

Set up in access point mode, so you have them joined by a cable then right? Don't plug the joining cable into the wan port of the R7500. Plug it into a lan port. This will make the R7500 a switch with wireless rather than a gateway. Use a different ssid for the second wireless and let your devices choose the strongest one.

Oh and disable dhcp on the R7500

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

4 minutes ago, Bigmyke84 said:

Well turns out Upnp is already enabled. Port forwards are removed. and restarted. No luck

turn RIP on on both routers

then firewall RIP from wan access

i find most NAT issues due to router to router sharing problems

2 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

turn RIP on on both routers

then firewall RIP from wan access

i find most NAT issues due to router to router sharing problems

What makes you think either of these routers support RIP? Also, why would you want to enable a routing protocol in a network with as small as two routers, both of which have static IPs for the LAN? And that’s ignoring the fact that the second one is in AP mode and is doing *no routing*

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

49 minutes ago, Bigmyke84 said:

Hello,

We have Century Link 1000/1000 fiber to our house. We are using their Technicolor C2100T as the receiving router for the DSL line. Due to the house size and wall thickness I am using my Netgear R7500 in Access Point mode to extend wifi and create ports for my various components.

The issue we run into when trying to play certain games is we always have Moderate or Strict NAT type. I found online Port fowarding from main router to the AP router, but I could not figure out what Port ranges to use. 

Any insight is welcome.

Generally people who complain about NAT type are trying to game. Have you tried port forwarding the ports for the game you using? BUT port forward based on the devices address not the AP. The AP should only act as a radio, its the devices that connect to it that need to be port forwarded. 

For example if your devices address was 192.168.1.2 the thats the address you do the port forwarding on. As far as the ports, you need to go to each games website and see what ports they use. Generally its suggested you use Static IP's on devices that need to be port forwarded. Some routers allow you to reserve addresses in the DHCP server for devices as well, either will work. As if the IP changes, then you have to change the port forward info. 

Once upon a time, I had kinda a similar setup. The router I had did not have AP mode and Crapcast gave us their shit Gateway when we needed a modem replacement. I turned off NAT and DHCP in the second router and connected it LAN or LAN with the Comcast supplied box. Effectively using the second router as an AP/Switch. It worked fine, no issues with games. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 hours ago, Bigmyke84 said:

Hello,

Any insight is welcome.

If your Netgear is actually in AP mode, there shouldn't be any NAT issues from the Netgear. There should also be no port forwarding.

From the sounds of it, your Netgear is in fact, not in AP mode, but is in traditional "Router" mode, applying NAT/Firewall.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)