G-SYNC: Yay or Nay?

ManOfDisguise

This will be interesting to see...

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Nay ive never had a problem with tearing ( yet )

also mantle might make it irrelevant, only time will tell

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Nay ive never had a problem with tearing ( yet )

also mantle might make it irrelevant, only time will tell

i do not see how mantle could in any way shape or form make g-sync irrelevant as they are 2 different things entierly.

EDIT: it's clear that the people in this chat are unaware of what g-sync really is and how it works.

If G-Sync is good I won't get it until it is available on a monitor that is 2560x1440. I will not be going back to 1080p.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

If G-Sync is good I won't get it until it is available on a monitor that is 2560x1440. I will not be going back to 1080p.

I feel the same way. 1440p + IPS is the min for me to have a g sync monitor

Nay.

Overhyped gadget that will vanish.

Why bother with equalizing low fps and hz? ADD MOAR GPUS! And never get low fps :D

And the ASUS monitor puts on a price premium of 325$ for the G.Synch version. That's a 2nd GPU if you'd take advantage of G,Synch cause your GPU sux ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Or you could just make higher refresh monitors...

And stop buying shitty cards.

Go forth and maximize profits.

The way I see it is it is free image quality improvement with no drawbacks. What is not to love other than the requirement of green team GPUs.

I already was planning on buying a 120/144hz monitor so why wouldn't I buy the one that supports G-Sync.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

The way I see it is it is free image quality improvement with no drawbacks. What is not to love other than the requirement of green team GPUs.

I already was planning on buying a 120/144hz monitor so why wouldn't I buy the one that supports G-Sync.

325$ price premium on G.Synch monitors is free? xD

625$ for the ASUS one Linus got. That's a decent 1440p IPS screen and close enough to 4k to not buy 1080p TN ^^

Most likely yes, but in a few years, when it's not $600 for a monitor and vendor locked.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Nay.

Why bother with equalizing low fps and hz? ADD MOAR GPUS! And never get low fps :D

and then u get tearing 

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

325$ price premium on G.Synch monitors is free? xD

625$ for the ASUS one Linus got. That's a decent 1440p IPS screen and close enough to 4k to not buy 1080p TN ^^

What the hell are you talking about? It is a $100 premium so $380 for the ASUS Linus has. I know because I am buying the monitor now and the upgrade kit later. I meant free as in no technical drawbacks like drastically lower framerate or input lag. All hardware costs money and that is a given.

Hope Mantle and G-sync go multi-graphics card or something. I don't want to choose between Mantle and G-sync in the future, when they are even better.

I'm jumping right on it when it releases.  I'm currently on a 1080p 60Hz TN panel, so buying into G-Sync right away won't be a step down for me.

Nay.

And the ASUS monitor puts on a price premium of 325$ for the G.Synch version. That's a 2nd GPU if you'd take advantage of G,Synch cause your GPU sux ^^

Are you high?

The G-Sync module is said to cost about ~$100.  The ASUS VG248QE with G-Sync will release for $400, versus its current price of $280 without G-Sync.

And G-Sync isn't about compensating for low FPS.  At all.  It's about doing away with this janky hack solution to tearing we've been using for years called VSync.

And I'm not even going to argue about why G-Sync isn't some transient gimmick.  I've done that enough already.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

What the hell are you talking about? It is a $100 premium so $380 for the ASUS Linus has. I know because I am buying the monitor now and the upgrade kit later. I meant free as in no technical drawbacks like drastically lower framerate or input lag. All hardware costs money and that is a given.

@MdX MaxX

Upgrade involved soldering. HF.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_g_sync_review_guide,6.html

We just received the intial pricing for todays tested ASUS monitor with the GSYNC enabled module:

• USD 602.75
  • EUR 437.85 + VAT
  • GBP 445.00 Incl. VAT

Hell Nay B)

is a dummy technology (for the green blindboys)  :lol: 

but i will not get deep in this, because i respect you foxs, but yea...   ^_^

Waiting to hear more about surround, what connecters it will work on and for nice slim bezel IPS panels. From Linus' video, it sounds like it requires display port, which could be a problem with surround. 

All those links are outdated, save for the Extreme Tech link, who only "estimated" the price.

We'll see tomorrow when they start pre-ordering. ;)

Don't forget this technology only works for FPS' above 30.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I'm hoping the G-Sync modules are in fact under $100 U.S.D.  When I first learned from Linus on Oct 25th, 2013 that this was a possibility, I rushed to get ahead of the potential crowds and got my 3- Asus VG248QE monitors at a nicely discounted price of just over $200 a piece. Rumor was in Q-1 of 2014, that same monitor will come with G-Sync pre-installed for around $400 each which is a lot of moola for 3 monitors. So if the modules come in for do-it-yourselfers under $100 each then I'll be satisfied with my new build. Since there are no sign up sheets to get on a list when they release, it's anyone's guess how we will be notified when, where, and how they are to be purchased.

It's not quite free. It forces you to only buy from Nvidia. I have no problem doing that, but I don't really like when companies limit my options for me.

i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB | Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 Ghz | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB | Seasonic 660W Platinum | Corsair H100i

Logitech G400s | Ducky Shine III Cherry MX Brown

I feel the same way. 1440p + IPS is the min for me to have a g sync monitor

I just upgraded to the Asus MX239 IPS (1080P). I expect this monitor to last me for several years now, and will never go back to a TN panel. My computer currently can't handle 1440p, so will stay at 1080p until higher resolutions and single GPU's required to run them become more affordable (have no plans to Crossfire/SLI to run high resolutions as those all are over my budget).

For my next monitor and GPU to be G-Sync enabled, it has to be beyond 1440p and at a reasonable price.

"Donny you're out of your element!"

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

It's not quite free. It forces you to only buy from Nvidia. I have no problem doing that, but I don't really like when companies limit my options for me.

I understand that but that is like saying I hate buying this new electric car from tesla because they are the only ones who make them. Not an exact comparison but I cannot think of any new technologies that nobody else has but still. My point is Nvidia made G-Sync and it is their technology, so if Nvidia licenses it to them it is icing on the cake but I do not feel they have to. And I think the same can be said about Mantle.