Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 32 ohm good for gaming?

Go to solution Solved by minibois,

Of course it's going to be highly subjective, but some might say closed back headphones (like the DT 770) are not as good for gaming, because you have less of a sound stage (thus making a game less immersive, you don't know if footsteps are 1 or 5 meters away, as an example).

But be sure to, if you are gonna use them, possibly post a review of your personal experiences with them.

So i just ordered the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro ( 32 ohm edition ) today: 23 jan. And i am just wondering if its gonna be fine for gaming. I am always skeptical about stuff, this is one thing. So if you could just tell me, if you know what your talking about that is. Is it good for gaming. I know its good for music and normal day to day. But gaming is the question. Thanks  for your time. Sorry about my grammar. Have a nice day. Fillip

Of course it's going to be highly subjective, but some might say closed back headphones (like the DT 770) are not as good for gaming, because you have less of a sound stage (thus making a game less immersive, you don't know if footsteps are 1 or 5 meters away, as an example).

But be sure to, if you are gonna use them, possibly post a review of your personal experiences with them.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, howerV said:

So i just ordered the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro ( 32 ohm edition ) today: 23 jan. And i am just wondering if its gonna be fine for gaming. I am always skeptical about stuff, this is one thing. So if you could just tell me, if you know what your talking about that is. Is it good for gaming. I know its good for music and normal day to day. But gaming is the question. Thanks  for your time. Sorry about my grammar. Have a nice day. Fillip

I have the 80Ohms version and I use it when playing PUBG and CSGO solo, I've noticed that foot steps are easier to hear however you can not tell where they are coming from most of the time. Left and right is fine but it's nowhere near as good as really gaming headset.

3 hours ago, <Aleks> said:

I have the 80Ohms version and I use it when playing PUBG and CSGO solo, I've noticed that foot steps are easier to hear however you can not tell where they are coming from most of the time. Left and right is fine but it's nowhere near as good as really gaming headset.

A good set of headphones blow away headsets for sound quality and spatial awareness. I'm using some old AKG k702s ATM, running through a soundblaster E1,and I'm more able to pinpoint sound location than the Astro A40s and mixamp I was using previously or the Steel series Arctic set I have. Plus, as stated above, open back just fills your ears with sound and brings environments to life.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

12 hours ago, howerV said:

I have a pair of DT770 Pro 250Ohm, it doesn't quite have a wide soundstage as open back cans (obviously, due to its closed back design) though it's pretty good for a closed back. But soundstage isn't all one must consider, another thing to consider is stereo imaging, this has more to do with the recording and reproduction of sound which affects the perceived spatial location of a sound source (or, something like this). The DT770 has good sound imaging, though its soundstage isn't as good as wide as open backs.

Budget/Entry level cans that are popular with folks here are the Philips SHP9500 and the Audio Technica ATH-AD500X/700X, these are open back cans, and have pretty good soundstage and imaging, especially the AD700X (I have one too), but it is somewhat anemic when it comes to bass, oh for sure, you can hear the bass when it's needed, just not in quantity that would satisfy some. It has a tight bass, just doesn't sound 'dynamic' to me. I can't comment on the SHP9500, though I do have a Fidelio X1.

For gaming, the AD700X slays, but for music, especially if you listen to lotsa bass heavy tracks, it would sound less exciting. The DT770 would have a better bass for sure, so it's great for music, but not too good for gaming (NOT saying it'd suck, I game with my DT770 sometimes, I feel I'm not losing anything, but I game only in SP mode where audio spatial locations/cues aren't terribly critical. There are trade-offs in going open back or closed back, it's up to you to decide where your priorities lie. One great can for both gaming and music is Philips Fidelio X2, good soundstage, great bass.....but it cost a fair bit more.

Also, be aware that the DT770 does have that Beyerdynamic house sound typified by sparkly treble, some consider it too hot/harsh, but if you're Superman like me, it can be quite enjoyable. The DT990 is open back and has better soundstage with good stereo imaging, but it has (to me anyway) even more sparkle and can be quite irritating to some.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2