Is mining ok for GPU

hi guys,

so i just tried out mining bitcoin on my EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybird overnight with NiceHash and made about $4.50. i am wondering whether mining overnight and while I’m at work (about a 16hr period) is safe for my gpu. i set my gpu fan speed at 80% and all my chassis fan speeds to 80% as well. i also removed all of the overclock settings I had on my gpu and set voltage and power limits to default just in case. gpu temps were fine, the actual GPU hit low 50s, memory hit mid 50s, and power hit high 50s. i also have an extended 5yr warranty on the gpu, so would mining be fine for me?

yep. as long as the temperatures stay low then it should be fine

Main PC: ASUS PRIME X299-A / Core i7 7820X / 16GB DDR4 / Palit GTX 1070 Ti / Corsair CX550F / Corsair Carbide Air 540

Secondary PC: ASUS X99-A / Core i7 5820K / 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GTX 780 ti Classified / Corsair CX500M / Fractal Define S

Yes, mining for only part of the day is fine, though I wouldn't set the fan speed that high since the fans are most often the weakest link here.

10 series cards are most often more effective at mining when you lower the power limit and raise the mem speed.

Either way, mining a few hours per day won't hurt your card and can help make a few $$. Just make sure your electricity rate isn't too high.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, saltbox23k said:

so i just tried out mining bitcoin on my EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybird overnight with NiceHash and made about $4.50. 

is that 4.50 before or after cost for electricity ?

21 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Yes, mining for only part of the day is fine, though I wouldn't set the fan speed that high since the fans are most often the weakest link here.

10 series cards are most often more effective at mining when you lower the power limit and raise the mem speed.

Either way, mining a few hours per day won't hurt your card and can help make a few $$. Just make sure your electricity rate isn't too high.

I find that largely depends on the coin, for me anyway on Nicehash it seems to love pushing the core clock and reducing the memclock, now Ethereum is majorly helped my pushing the crap out of the mem clock

$4.50 for overnight heat stress for less than half of what a McDonald's employee makes an Hr here..

0a1.jpg

56 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

is that 4.50 before or after cost for electricity ?

Before, tho where I live, electricity isn’t very expensive at all

32 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

$4.50 for overnight heat stress for less than half of what a McDonald's employee makes an Hr here..

0a1.jpg

my temps were fine so i wouldn’t really call it a “heat stress”. and mining of course isn’t my main income nor will I really use it for an sort of income. i paid $850 for my gpu but really only get to use it a few hours during the weekdays and then on the weekends, so i figured might as well get some money out of it while I’m not using it :)

Why the fan speed at that high? My fan speed is 37 % and the temp is 55 degrees. 

18 hours ago, saltbox23k said:

hi guys,

so i just tried out mining bitcoin on my EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybird overnight with NiceHash and made about $4.50. i am wondering whether mining overnight and while I’m at work (about a 16hr period) is safe for my gpu. i set my gpu fan speed at 80% and all my chassis fan speeds to 80% as well. i also removed all of the overclock settings I had on my gpu and set voltage and power limits to default just in case. gpu temps were fine, the actual GPU hit low 50s, memory hit mid 50s, and power hit high 50s. i also have an extended 5yr warranty on the gpu, so would mining be fine for me?

You didn't mine bitcoin. You mined other altcoins and got paid in bitcoin. There's a huge difference.

If temps are low, you can leave it even 24/7. Just be careful on the gpu fans, they might wear out faster. I'll use the default curve to see how temperature's go.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, Almostbauws said:

Why the fan speed at that high? My fan speed is 37 % and the temp is 55 degrees. 

i have a case that doesn’t have the best airflow (phanteks Enthoo evolv). I should probably remove the front panel when I’m mining.

19 hours ago, saltbox23k said:

i also removed all of the overclock settings I had on my gpu and set voltage and power limits to default just in case. gpu temps were fine, the actual GPU hit low 50s

Im not sure if this is the case for all cryptos, but when I was mining ETH, I found the clocks had no effect on the hashrate. so I underclocked my gpu to save power. The VRAM clocks did have an effect though.

mining 24 hours a day isn't too hard on the cards if you lower the power limit and keep temps low and fan speed reasonable.

Reduce the power by 30-35%... still gets a decent hashrate in most cases. waaaaayyyy better for the card

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1