Running 2 GTX (970s) in SLI

rf9661

Hey!

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 6700K

GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GD5 OC

PSU: Corsair 750W Semi-Modular

MOBO: Asus Z170-A

I'm interested in setting up SLI with my rig. I was wondering which GTX 970 you guys would recommend and which SLI cable you would recommend. I occasionally do some light gaming (Witcher 3, CS:GO, LoL, PayDay 2) but want a 2nd GPU to do better at mining cryptocurrencies. Also, would I need a bigger PSU? Please let me know if you have any questions or recommendations.

Richard

Any gtx 970 would work. Personally I like them to be identical but that's not necessary. Also yeah that's more than enough. As long as you have a duplicate set of power cables for the second one.

Just now, Butt Stallion said:

Any gtx 970 would work. Personally I like them to be identical but that's not necessary. Also yeah that's more than enough. As long as you have a duplicate set of power cables for the second one.

Just going by PSU wattage OP should be fine on power cables. Higher capacity units tend to have more extra cables in my experience.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Butt Stallion said:

I would also prefer them to be identical...

If you're mining, you do not need an SLI bridge I believe. If you intend to game with the SLI setup and you play at 1080p, the SLI bridge that came with the card is probably fine. At lower resolutions, high bandwidth bridges only really smooth out the stutter and other frame quality issues that arise when SLI gaming. For the card, buy the cheapest; if your goal is to make money with it, lowering initial costs is the most important thing, you will be able to OC the card to get extra mining/gaming performance. Your PSU is fine for two cards.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, rf9661 said:

I would also prefer them to be identical...

Miners don't care probably

7 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

If you're mining, you do not need an SLI bridge I believe. If you intend to game with the SLI setup and you play at 1080p, the SLI bridge that came with the card is probably fine. At lower resolutions, high bandwidth bridges only really smooth out the stutter and other frame quality issues that arise when SLI gaming. For the card, buy the cheapest; if your goal is to make money with it, lowering initial costs is the most important thing, you will be able to OC the card to get extra mining/gaming performance. Your PSU is fine for two cards.

definitely NOT needed for Mining, been mining for a month on 2 1080ti's without an SLI bridge

@rf9661 750 is plenty big, I've got 2 1080ti's (or 2 Titan Xp's, since I got those last night) mining away and the 6700k OC'd to 4.5 Ghz and even when all 3 things are mining it doesn't break 460 watts at the wall (note I'm running around a 70-72% power limit when mining) gaming I'm not sure what the peak Overclocked draw of a 970 is, a 1080ti is around 300ish watts each so those in SLI overclocked are pushing the limits of a 750 watt unit.

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

2 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

2 hours ago, Butt Stallion said:

Hey! Thanks for all of your responses thus far. I found a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GD for $150 in 'Great Condition' w/ original packaging and paperwork. Does that sound like a good deal?

19 minutes ago, rf9661 said:

Hey! Thanks for all of your responses thus far. I found a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GD for $150 in 'Great Condition' w/ original packaging and paperwork. Does that sound like a good deal?

YES. TAKE IT. NOW.

You're probably never gonna see a 970 that cheap for a long time if cryptocurrency mining stays this popular.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

YES. TAKE IT. NOW.

You're probably never gonna see a 970 that cheap for a long time if cryptocurrency mining stays this popular.

Would it work with my current GPU?

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah you'll be fine.

And I should be able to buy the SLI bridge online on Amazon right?

1 minute ago, rf9661 said:

And I should be able to buy the SLI bridge online on Amazon right?

Yeah, shouldn't be too much. Although if you're planning to mine you shouldn't need it. Someone here probably knows better than me, but I'm about 95% sure you don't need the SLI bridge to mine with one card and game with the other.

30 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah, shouldn't be too much. Although if you're planning to mine you shouldn't need it. Someone here probably knows better than me, but I'm about 95% sure you don't need the SLI bridge to mine with one card and game with the other.

SO I would leave my 2 monitors plugged into my current 970 (they're like that now) and just plug in the 2nd 970 for mining?

39 minutes ago, rf9661 said:

SO I would leave my 2 monitors plugged into my current 970 (they're like that now) and just plug in the 2nd 970 for mining?

Yes, leave it like that. Just be sure to select the proper card in your mining software. 

SLI connections are not needed when mining cryptocurrencies.