Microsoft opens the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Floodgates with full availability

AlTech

Microsoft typically is quite conservative when releasing new Windows 10 Versions. One of the reasons for this is that they wish to ensure that they catch issues early and fix them before everyone has the update on their PCs. This started when Windows 10 Build 10586 was arguably prematurely released with a rushed rollout. Microsoft spent much of late 2015 and 2016 fixing the issues from that rollout.

So it shouldn't come as surprise that since then, Microsoft has been offering updates to users in a more conservative fashion.

And now, Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (Build 16299) is now reaching full availability meaning that any user eligible to update (which should be most if not all) will receive the update shortly.

Long Term Support Enterprise users won't be receiving the update just yet but almost everyone else should.

This news comes just 2 months before the planned official release of the Upcoming Windows 10 Version which is scheduled to be released in March.

mixed-reality-house-800x450.png

After being out for a little under three months, Microsoft has moved the Fall Creators Update to full availability, signaling that the company believes it to be ready for corporate deployments.

Microsoft rolls out the big Windows semi-annual updates on a staggered basis, making the update available to an ever larger range of users as the company builds a clearer picture of any hardware and software incompatibilities. Once it's satisfied that any of these wrinkles have been ironed out, Microsoft offers the update to every machine that's compatible. With the Fall Creators Update on 100 million machines, Microsoft has decided that the update is ready for its full deployment.

This development process has been refined over the last few years; the 2016 Anniversary Update raised a number of problems, causing Microsoft to be more conservative subsequently. The previous update, the Creators Update, took about four months to reach this same stage. The decision to make the Fall Creators Update, version 1709, widely available in less than three months shows that the company is more confident in this release and its wider deployment.

Personally, i think that Microsoft could do with a bit more polishing before releasing "Feature Updates" (Read: Incremental feature improvements and releasing new OS).

The one thing I would like to see addressed soon is a proper response to the Privacy concerns and issues.

Source:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/windows-fall-creators-update-now-rolling-out-to-everyone-including-businesses/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Wait, this is 1709 right? Wow, it took this long!?  It's been available for months already hasn't it?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait, this is 1709 right? Wow, it took this long!?

Yup. Somebody in my flat, on one of their laptops they still had 1607 so idek.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's been available for months already hasn't it?

Yup, since October 2017.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yup. Somebody in my flat, on one of their laptops they still had 1607 so idek.

Yup, since October 2017.

O.o good lord

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So I can finally create a 1709 installation USB. Instead of having to use 1703, and then waiting for the update to download for 3-4 hours.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Oh, they do take their time with it. But yeah they should put more effort into polishing before initial release in general. Didn't have problems but being more certain something won't be screwed on update would be great. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 1/16/2018 at 6:13 AM, Dabombinable said:

So I can finally create a 1709 installation USB. Instead of having to use 1703, and then waiting for the update to download for 3-4 hours.

You could have done that already.  While they don't roll out the build updates through Windows Update right away, you can always download their Media Creation Tool and create the USB drive manually.  I did that months ago at work.

13 hours ago, Jito463 said:

You could have done that already.  While they don't roll out the build updates through Windows Update right away, you can always download their Media Creation Tool and create the USB drive manually.  I did that months ago at work.

I did. It always created a 1703 installer.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I did. It always created a 1703 installer.

Use Rufus and a Windows 10 1709 ISO. Way better than the official USB-Tool...

;)

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

When the update was released I did not receive it straight away, only recently I found out I had to manually update by going to updtade settings. And even then after the update on my win 10 Home version I had an awful bug with wifi connection. It limited my download speed to 3mbps no matter what. 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band did not make a difference. I rolled back after an hour of struggle (even tried to edit Group Policies).

This was last week, I doubt they fixed that shit. 

However Im gonna freshinstall my Win 10 with creators update included and see whats up.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE