What I plan to do, and what do you reccomend?

I was planning to move to Alaska later on in my life and enjoy me some fazt internetz provided by GCI.  Red GiG as they would call it.  990 down and 50 up.  Not bad eh?

*ahem*  anyway, I plan to find a good spot to put my server and honestly, I prefer my room.

Before I continue with details, I would like to ask since my server will be consisting of an mATX motherboard with a butt-ton of cores, some GPUs and some VMs paired to those GPUs.

A combination of NVIDIA and AMD cards (Rzyen or Intel CPU as well) and a 10Gbe SFP+ copper connects for my HTPC that will sit... well, near my server.  Why?  I hate lag, and I would never wish lag even on my worst enemies... Except lag switchers themselves, they need the teabagging. lol.

*ahem*  So, one end of the room will have my compact server while on the other end where my bed is I'll have an HTPC connected directly to it via SFP+.

So, since the server is specifically compact, I would like to hear what you might have to suggest.

Other info:  I am planning to start a gaming channel on youtube and twitch, and I'll setup a patreon so if the viewers like what they see then I'll continue to play games for their amusement.  Not to mention that patreon is the easy way of getting monetization.  Instead of relying on a site ran by morons, I can instead know that if people like what they see (good content.) then they'll donate.. well, if they want to of course. :)   

And.. sadly there's one thing that will be a bit down for me: I'm getting close to my adult age of 18 and after getting a job and my own place to live.. I want to ask you all if I will be considered "Too old" to play videogames. :(

I've wasted most of my spare time playing on console... so .. expensive.  And all this time, I wasted my cash on stupid proprietary hardware ran by Sentinels from the Matrix in a database somewhere.. I'm looking at you Mr. Smith. -.-

Look, the main point is I'm afraid that IF I do go down this route to invest my money on my own home server, I want to make it last both practically and sentimentally.  

Speaking of sentimental value, I'm keeping the PS3 "Phat" shell, desolder the gpu and CELL cpu and keep them as trinkets of a better time playing videogames as well as their renown reputation and use cases to other PlayStation gamers alike.  The U.S. Airforce bought an ass-ton of them to make a literal supercomputer out of them.  It was cheaper than buying an IBM-based solution, not kidding either.   So, four things total I'll be keeping for sentimental sake:  The shell, the GPU, CPU and the harddrive that it came with.  Everything else will be sold on Ebay to someone who wants to by it to scavenge it for spare parts or whatever.    I love the ps3 for it's free online connection to play multiplayer games, being able to download stuff like movies and music, not to mention pictures, directly onto the harddrive.  The XMB menu was oddly satisfying, and not to mention the games I played on it ever since I was 10 years old.  The PS3 in my eyes is the Jetfire of Michael Bay's film Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen because I am going to put the shell and the hardware to better use and make it into an ageless gaming HTPC computer in heart.    Not to mention the operating systems that I used during my life growing up.. Windows Vista (riddled with a shit ton of crapware) and windows 7 (ok, this one was actually better.)  and then XP (for nostalgia purposes!! O.O) and finally something I will add to my collection of software: Windows 98, because this reminds me of my father.  Hell, I got the passion for computers and technology from him and I can see why too.  He was many, a bouncer for a celebrity, a bartender, former software engineer (if I'm not mistaken) and overall a great father of mine.  

*realizes that I'm wondering off on a tangent* 

Oh shit, *ahem* sorry.  Anyway, long story short, it's to put old things to better use and still keep my childhood with me.. as well as to have some badass hardware that I can admire and smile to every day whether it be a shitty day or a wonderful day. 

Just now, Being Delirious said:

sounds cold.

Well, I grew up in the mountains here in CA, and there's gigabit internet in Alaska.

If anything, there are more things that are perfectly planned out.

I can heat up my room with just my computers (granted that I will need to do some anti-condensation voodoo on my hardware before even applying power to them), I love the cold weather, I love fresh air and the aurora borealis (on some nights), and I can be a snow plow driver on the side while working as a welder, hell, I could probably weld some networking pipes sealed so everyone can enjoy their fast internet. :)  

I wonder if Tunnel Bear can dig while I weld.  meme9.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Well, I grew up in the mountains here in CA, and there's gigabit internet in Alaska.

If anything, there are more things that are perfectly planned out.

I can heat up my room with just my computers (granted that I will need to do some anti-condensation voodoo on my hardware before even applying power to them), I love the cold weather, I love fresh air and the aurora borealis (on some nights), and I can be a snow plow driver on the side while working as a welder, hell, I could probably weld some networking pipes sealed so everyone can enjoy their fast internet. :)  

I wonder if Tunnel Bear can dig while I weld.  meme9.jpg

Sounds noisy.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Sounds noisy.

Alaska? Noisy?  Nah, the V8 in my blazer is noisy. :P

7 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Alaska? Noisy?  Nah, the V8 in my blazer is noisy. :P

Not Alaska your computer setup. do you realize just how much power you are going to need to eat to keep that room warm during the winter? You're probably going to want to cryptocurrency mine overnight, and you  are probably going to want a rig that consumes at least 700 Watts while mining. P.S. the average gamer is about ~34 years old

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Not Alaska your computer setup. do you realize just how much power you are going to need to eat to keep that room warm during the winter? You're probably going to want to cryptocurrency mine overnight, and you  are probably going to want a rig that consumes at least 700 Watts while mining.

Well, Noisy? no.

The compact server is just an mATX mobo with the GPUs.  The detail I neglected to mention was that it was going to be insinde a Cerberus mATX case.  I called it a "compact" server for a reason. :)