GPU Temp

Paddi01

What temperature should my gpu have at max when gaming or heavy load?

I found this on the internet, but can it be said in general because there are so many different gpu´s?

So everything under 80 is perfect?

GPU-Temperatur-Skala.jpg

every GPU has a max temp and a best temp when in use. They should be in the product specifications. Generally this image can be used as a rule of thumb but some cards can run hotter or should not go as high as pictured here.

THe image is a good general guide as stated above, if the GPU is maintaining it's full clock speed (Not Throttling) you should be good to go.

That image is a good rule of thumb. Though it's also a bit of a moot point. Most video cards these days are designed to run as fast as possible until they hit a thermal ceiling which from what I've observed is around 80-85C. If they haven't hit that though, the ceiling is usually electrical. But if you're asking at some point "is this an OK temperature?", then yeah, that image is a good rule of thumb.

Long story Long: The GPU is more efficient at lower temps, which means it can put more power into the core and maintain stable, higher clocks. Gamers Nexus has proven this over and over again. Nvidia GPUs tend to be the most happy when running at equal or lower than 70C. They'll boost higher (boost 3.0), and clocks won't fluctuate as much. They work best under 60C though and that's the reason people watercool them. But you can run them up to 85C and be kind of "fine", even though clocks won't be nearly as stable and card will due to high temps be less efficient, which translates to lower clocks.

I keep my gtx 1070 at 68-ish degrees (overclocked). It's proven to be the best compromise between performance and noise.

5 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Long story Long: The GPU is more efficient at lower temps, which means it can put more power into the core and maintain stable, higher clocks. Gamers Nexus has proven this over and over again. Nvidia GPUs tend to be the most happy when running at equal or lower than 70C. They'll boost higher (boost 3.0), and clocks won't fluctuate as much. They work best under 60C though and that's the reason people watercool them. But you can run them up to 85C and be kind of "fine", even though clocks won't be nearly as stable and card will due to high temps be less efficient, which translates to lower clocks.

I keep my gtx 1070 at 68-ish degrees (overclocked). It's proven to be the best compromise between performance and noise.

this is a good point, my RX 470 Strix reaches 74 degrees so i have a good balance of temp and noise (although the fans are nearly inaudible, Strix cards are pretty nice).

8 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

this is a good point, my RX 470 Strix reaches 74 degrees so i have a good balance of temp and noise (although the fans are nearly inaudible, Strix cards are pretty nice).

Yeah, I have Strix also. They make some good aftermarket cooling solutions.