Birth of the Windows 98 Rig

FluffHarding

So Along with my Windows XP Gaming rig i also want a Windows 98 Rig, Been on the hunt for a early 2000's second hand PC to use for the basis of a Rig and upgrade accordingly. 

Wel finallyl i got in luck with a fellow work Mate and gave me this.

I present the soon to be Windows 98 Rig

IMG_3346.thumb.JPG.1c15312871d1ae00651607c780f00387.JPGIMG_3347.thumb.JPG.b44911001a0a1023652e8a9570d6210d.JPGIMG_3348.thumb.JPG.465dc2ed337ecf7645902793f4559468.JPGIMG_3350.thumb.JPG.a47d56de27c2e71c6393dce7cdc9108f.JPG

Came with original Windows ME Recovery discs and Mother Board drivers on a disc.

Specs are:

Processor: AMD Duron 900mhz

Ram: 128 mb's

Graphics: Savage S3 Onboard

HDD: 40gb IDE Hard disk

Optical: DVD Rom & CD RW

IMG_3352.thumb.JPG.c63f2923961d53223ae76448f20644e1.JPGIMG_3353.thumb.JPG.a01c697480d0b5596a61b7d0f1d20180.JPG

Plans are to Gut the system clean up, Its not to dirty Nothing Compared to the XP Rig but will benefit from a good clean.

for now will change hard drive to a 80gb (Although will not use all of this) quieter drive, Install Windows 98 and basically Stress test the system mainly processor & Ram for stability as it has a very small Heat sink and fan if problems arise i will upgrade the cooler.

I plan to install a AGP Graphics Card Most likely a Nvidia FX5200 and upgrade the audio to a Soundblaster 16.

A network card will be installed as well for ease of file transfer.

I am planning Case mods and these are in a planning stage and may change the case all together still unsure

At the moment i am unable to do much work on both projects due to having to dismantle my PC Setups as im moving out the current room there in to redecorate for my Daughter to go in there and all my spare parts etc are packed in boxes in the attic for temporary storage until i can re setup up my desk in the what will become my man cave (Pics & Tour to follow)

I welcome all your opinions on both my projects but please bear in mind i do this on a very very tight budget 

Thanks

why not go for a FX5500? not that great on old GPUs but i freaking love my FX5500 beacuse it overclocks like mad xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Im Thinking around that Generation of GPU will see what i can get when it comes time to buy the components

These chips run really hot. I suggest a water-cooling loop.

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

These chips run really hot. I suggest a water-cooling loop.

Whaahha

Okay why not go with liquid nitrogen cooling while your at it?

Keeps it at a nice sub zero temperature.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Bit Extreme for a AMD Duron will most likely just up grade to a slightly bigger cooler

• 3 weeks later...

Well Not a lot has happened with this build due to time and money, but i have setup and reinstalled with Windows 98 and done some Basic tests.

I have changed the Hard drive in it so i could preserve the original ME install plus the hard drive that was in it is old and noisy.

Also added a Gigabit PCI Ethernet card for ease of file transfer over the network.

Tear down\Clean + Upgrades will start in the summer.