A simple GPU update took me this far.

jean_001

So here was the previous situation.

After upgrading to a 1080ti, I was unhappy with the general gaming performance and suspected that the old i7 3770k might be bottlenecking.

Today, after through research and some budget allocation, I went ahead and got some friends for the 1080ti.

I will go into assembly in a few moments but had to share it with you guys beforehand.

Here's a cool group photo.

p.s. please be gentle with harsh comments (if you have any) and try not to kill my joy  :) 

Image.thumb.jpeg.1029b20fbe7a5bef6163cc54cd67fa61.jpeg

The cooler is a bit small for 8700k need a bigger one. 280 or 360 is a good choice, unless you are going for gtx1080ti hybrid mode?

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

3 hours ago, MaratM said:

The cooler is a bit small for 8700k need a bigger one. 280 or 360 is a good choice, unless you are going for gtx1080ti hybrid mode?

Imagine my suprise when the store clerk said the new gen "K" cpu's are sold without stock coolers. 9_9

I (and my credit card) was caught off guard and had to follow my gut. 

The cpu sits at 30 degrees on idle so i guess it does the trick for now.

12 minutes ago, jean_001 said:

Imagine my suprise when the store clerk said the new gen "K" cpu's are sold without stock coolers. 9_9

I (and my credit card) was caught off guard and had to follow my gut. 

The cpu sits at 30 degrees on idle so i guess it does the trick for now.

You'll be fine as long as you do not push it to 5 ghz or do not enable all cores turbo boost in the bios it will be ok

but what is the point of buying a K cpu if it is not overclocked?

thank to gigabyte they have this option disabled by default instead of asus

anyway big is always better and the difference between the 120 and 240 aio is not that great.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

16 minutes ago, MaratM said:

You'll be fine as long as you do not push it to 5 ghz or do not enable all cores turbo boost in the bios it will be ok

but what is the point of buying a K cpu if it is not overclocked?

thank to gigabyte they have this option disabled by default instead of asus

anyway big is always better and the difference between the 120 and 240 aio is not that great.

I suppose 8700k out of the box is sufficient for me now. 

I guess I like the idea of "having the option to oc when the need or the urge arises".

However my previous cpu, i7 3770k served for almost four years without an oc attempt and I will now sell it away . I guess I'm wired a bit wrong :) 

Yet I figured way after purchasing the 3770k that my previous MB ( Asus H-61 Pro) was not very capable of overclocking. Yep, something was definitely wrong there :) 

• 2 weeks later...

That cooler should be okay for some light overclocking if you choose to do so. Different CPU altogether, but I have a 7600k OC'd to 5ghz with a Kraken x42, which is a 140mm single rad. I did upgrade it with Corsair ML fans in push pull though, and a Cinebench run gets it up to 65c, perfectly acceptable. I won't be doing anything that CPU intensive basically ever, in games it stays under 60.