Low FPS with 1080ti

jean_001

Hey Guys,

I just bought an Aorus 1080ti X edition. Yet, I get stuttering and relatively low fps on games.

For instance, my fps never goes over 80 on BF1. Shutting down AA helps but I don't see why I should be forced to shut down some effects with a high end GPU.

I see people getting over 120 fps on BF1 and that raises questions on my part.

Also I get constant stutering on SW Battlefront 2

I can see that my rig components aren't up to date (aside from the GPU) but what I've read online tells me that GPU matters the most and the rest has little/no effect on gaming performance.

Please take a look at the rig and tell me what to fix.

Wish you all a good new year

Regards

UserBenchmarks: Game 113%, Desk 70%, Work 52%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K - 76.2%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - 155.7%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 63.4%
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010) - 62.9%
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 C11 2x4GB - 53.4%
MBD: Asus H61M-PRO

Monitor : LG Ultra Wide 21:9 2560x1080

Whats your GPU and CPU usage while playing?

Main Rig: EK custom loop |2700x @ 4.25 Ghz| Msi X470 Gaming Plus | 32gb DDR4 | Aorus GTX 1080ti @ 2088 Mhz | TT Core X71 TG | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + 256gb Toshiba NVMe + 275GB Crucial m.2

Laptop: Surface Book 2 15" |  i7 8650U 4.2 GHz | 16gb DDR3L | GTX 1060 6gb | 265GB NVMe SSD

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jvNnH

BF1 and Battlefront 2 greatly benefit from fast and low latency RAM and high CPU clocks.

I was getting about 150FPS on Ultra (Postprocess Medium) on 2560x1440 res, 2200MHz CL9 DDR3 16GB, i7 4770k 4.6GHz.

Also, try DDU drivers and install new ones. Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10 along with Game Mode, Game Bar and Game DVR.

12 minutes ago, jean_001 said:

How can i see usage during play ?

With programs like precision XOC or msi afterburner. When installed, it shows you an in-game overlay with ur usage and other useful things

Main Rig: EK custom loop |2700x @ 4.25 Ghz| Msi X470 Gaming Plus | 32gb DDR4 | Aorus GTX 1080ti @ 2088 Mhz | TT Core X71 TG | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + 256gb Toshiba NVMe + 275GB Crucial m.2

Laptop: Surface Book 2 15" |  i7 8650U 4.2 GHz | 16gb DDR3L | GTX 1060 6gb | 265GB NVMe SSD

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

BF1 and Battlefront 2 greatly benefit from fast and low latency RAM and high CPU clocks.

I was getting about 150FPS on Ultra (Postprocess Medium) on 2560x1440 res, 2200MHz CL9 DDR3 16GB, i7 4770k 4.6GHz.

Also, try DDU drivers and install new ones. Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10 along with Game Mode, Game Bar and Game DVR.

So it seems RAM and CPU upgrades are in order ? (and necessary)

3 minutes ago, Davidwr80 said:

With programs like precision XOC or msi afterburner. When installed, it shows you an in-game overlay with ur usage and other useful things

Thanks, will give it a try and post results.

Just now, jean_001 said:

So it seems RAM and CPU upgrades are in order ? (and necessary)

Not really, just OC if you can.

Intel Core i7-3770K not the youngest CPU did you OC it ? If not do it i think this is the performance wall/limit your GPU wants to go hard but your CPU is an slow old fart that cant handle it. 

Your results are on par with ryzen 7/ryzen 6 which is expected from an i7 3770k. there is nothing wrong with it. It is a known fact that older i7's shutters in newer games.  

you have 3 options 

1 - upgrade your CPU/MOBO/RAM combo 

2 -  upgrade your display to higher resolutions shifting the load to GPU from CPU

3 - just get accept the shutters 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

6 minutes ago, jean_001 said:

Thanks, will give it a try and post results.

I forgot, If you have the newest version of Windows 10, you can also see GPU/CPU usage in the task manager. 

3 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Your results are on par with ryzen 7/ryzen 6 which is expected from an i7 3770k. there is nothing wrong with it. It is a known fact that older i7's shutters in newer games.  

you have 3 options 

2 -  upgrade your display to higher resolutions shifting the load to GPU from CPU

this is not normal. My brother has an i7 3770 non "K" and a 1080ti, but no stutters and a better framerate in BF1 that this guy. 

Thanks for all the feedback.

18 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Intel Core i7-3770K not the youngest CPU did you OC it ? If not do it i think this is the performance wall/limit your GPU wants to go hard but your CPU is an slow old fart that cant handle it. 

I've never clocked my CPU and guess my MBoard won't let me. Not sure about it though. (Have no experience on clocking by the way)

20 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

you have 3 options 

These options (1-3) are roughly what I had in mind. But guess had to hear it from someone else.

Option 2 is not applicable here because my monitor's max res is 2560x1080 ( If there's a way to bump it up, I'm not aware)

17 minutes ago, Davidwr80 said:

this is not normal. My brother has an i7 3770 non "K" and a 1080ti, but no stutters and a better framerate in BF1 that this guy. 

What do you think I shoud get (in terms of fps) from BF1 ?

14 minutes ago, Davidwr80 said:

Okay my apologizes for not being clear. what i mean is except some shutter. but if you have massive shuttering then its definitely a problem. how are the temps .. i sense a thermal throttling on the CPU side. it helps if you say if you have over clock and what sorta cooling you have.  

it really helps if you can monitor the temps with MSI afterburner and post the results. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

5 minutes ago, jean_001 said:

He says he has between 90-120 fps and no stuttering. 

8 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Okay my apologizes for not being clear. what i mean is except some shutter. but if you have massive shuttering then its definitely a problem. how are the temps .. i sense a thermal throttling on the CPU side. it helps if you say if you have over clock and what sorta cooling you have.  

it really helps if you can monitor the temps with MSI afterburner and post the results. 

Downloading MSI afterburner now.

12 minutes ago, jean_001 said:

Thanks for all the feedback.

I've never clocked my CPU and guess my MBoard won't let me. Not sure about it though. (Have no experience on clocking by the way)

These options (1-3) are roughly what I had in mind. But guess had to hear it from someone else.

Option 2 is not applicable here because my monitor's max res is 2560x1080 ( If there's a way to bump it up, I'm not aware)

Look at ryzen 7/ryzen 6 game benchmarks for BF1, you should be getting very similar results. 

15 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Look at ryzen 7/ryzen 6 game benchmarks for BF1, you should be getting very similar results. 

Ok I am a simple man... Just can't figure out how to work and what to learn from this Msi Afterburner.

so eventually;

i7 8700 upgrade and what ram?

1 minute ago, jean_001 said:

Ok I am a simple man... Just can't figure out how to work and what to learn from this Msi Afterburner.

so eventually;

Look up tutorials on yt for afterburner. If you really want to upgrade, you need the 8700k+a Z370 board+DDR4 ram

9 minutes ago, jean_001 said:

so eventually;

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X Battlefield 1

there you go, you should be getting similar results with an i7 3770k (80~ 90 FPS) 

Go for the upgrade ? i mean sure why not if you have the money :) 

Edit - 

Skip To 34.13 for benchmarks. 

Edited by DeadlyTitan

Thanks a lot for the Effort guys. 

I guess I’ll play around with the afterburner for a while but I think the best thing to do is upgrading. 

I’ll post again if I have something noteworthy from the afterburner.  

Have a wonderful 2018

with regards...

21 hours ago, Davidwr80 said:

Look up tutorials on yt for afterburner. If you really want to upgrade, you need the 8700k+a Z370 board+DDR4 ram

Ok so after a short BF 1 session in which I experienced almost no stuttering problems (presumably due to the played map) 

here is what I got;

(These are max numbers btw,)

GPU Temp :69

GPU Usage :75%

CPU Temp : 72

CPU 1 Usage :86%

CPU 2 Usage :94%

CPU 3 Usage : 94%

CPU 4 Usage : 100%

CPU 5 Usage : 92%

CPU 6 Usage : 86%

CPU 7 Usage : 94%

CPU 8 Usage : 94%

On 31.12.2017 at 6:50 PM, Davidwr80 said:

Additional info from Afterburner;

During Star Wars Battlefront 2 (with plenty of stuttering);

GPU Temp : 70 

GPU Usage : 74%

CPU Temp:70

CPU Usage : Between 97-100%

I guess 3770K is having issues with current games... 

5 hours ago, jean_001 said:

Additional info from Afterburner;

During Star Wars Battlefront 2 (with plenty of stuttering);

GPU Temp : 70 

GPU Usage : 74%

CPU Temp:70

CPU Usage : Between 97-100%

I guess 3770K is having issues with current games... 

Your GPU is barely breaking a sweat while your CPU is definitely outclassed, like a fat man in a 100 meter dash (just kidding :)).

But seriously, I believe the stuttering you see is the effect of your game dropping frames so your CPU can keep up. There's really no other recourse but to upgrade if you want to play triple-A titles. To give you a better perspective on how your 3770 performs, I run a 7th generation Core i7 7700K where the CPU usage never goes beyond 75%. For Battlefield 1 it averages at around 67%.

Upgrading your motherboard and CPU seems like the logical step since it's already 4 generations behind. You already have most of the components for a fast gaming system, but all of that is being held back by your CPU.