APPLE under French Regulator investigation for iphone 'planned obsolescence'

mark_cameron
18 hours ago, arnavvr said:

This is really stupid. Apple is a private business, and therefore they should be able to do what they want with the devices that they produce. Also, it can't be planned obsolescence as once a new battery is added to an older device, the performance would be restored back to the original speed.

Wow, that was retarded 

I hate Apple just as much as the next guy but holy shit, THIS WASN'T PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!!

This is legit spooking me into not developing a hardware or software product, because apparently no matter what you do you'll still get shit on. Could they have done a better job communicating it up front? Sure. But what would you prefer, a phone that turns into a brick due to a degraded/damaged (but still useable) battery or one that still works but is a little slower until you can get it repaired or replaced?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

19 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

In which case Apple will need to justify why they removed support for devices that arguably were still in their lifecycle.

I don't see anyone going after Google, Samsung, Moto, One Plus and others for not giving software updates after 5 years anymore.
Oh wait, One Plus and other's don't even give android updates after 2 years often for their devices.

I'm still Salty about how crap my One Plus One became little over a year after it was released; and their support was appalling.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

because apparently no matter what you do you'll still get shit on.

This is the reality of consumers today.   Build a fast CPU but turns out it has bugs fuck you Intel.  Code a software patch to secure the hole, turns out it causes issues on old hardware, Fuck you MS, make a phone with a battery too small you get sued, make the battery bigger battery and everyone says fuck you it's too big. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Valentyn said:

I don't see anyone going after Google, Samsung, Moto, One Plus and others for not giving software updates after 5 years anymore.
Oh wait, One Plus and other's don't even give android updates after 2 years often for their devices.

I'm still Salty about how crap my One Plus One became little over a year after it was released; and their support was appalling.

I am so salty over my Nexus 4 for the same reasons. It was the "Flagship Killer" of 2012. 1 year later it got significantly slower with updates and then 3 years later it became a paperweight. 

19 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I am so salty over my Nexus 4 for the same reasons. It was the "Flagship Killer" of 2012. 1 year later it got significantly slower with updates and then 3 years later it became a paperweight. 

You mean Nexus 1 (that's the 2012 Nexus). And mine was running perfectly even before its factory reset (it was in fact running better than my Transformer TF201 and its replacement TF700).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

17 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I don;t buy flagship phones for 3 reasons:

1, I don't buy on plans, contracts or credit. It's outright unlocked or not at all.

2. When comparing it to buying a $130 phone every year, the average flagship has to perform without issue for at least 5 years to be better priced.

3. With tech evolving so fast, after 3 years it is not better value and I am spending $100+ a year for a phone that is likely lacking equivalent features (to a current mid level phone) and most likely has a cracked screen.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 1/8/2018 at 5:00 PM, Dabombinable said:

Since the iPad 2 is still getting updates (and that tablet competed with my 2012 Transformer TF201), it should:
http://www.techradar.com/news/ios-11-compatibility-list-does-it-work-with-your-iphone-and-ipad

Edit: Note that I still keep up with iOS updates due to my aunt's iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5s and brother's iPad mini with touch id.

On 1/8/2018 at 5:03 PM, Dabombinable said:

No, it doesn't. Follow the link

Followed the link. The iPad Air 2 is still getting updates. iPad 2 stopped at iOS 9.0 so I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be looking.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

I don;t buy flagship phones for 3 reasons:

1, I don't buy on plans, contracts or credit. It's outright unlocked or not at all.

2. When comparing it to buying a $130 phone every year, the average flagship has to perform without issue for at least 5 years to be better priced.

3. With tech evolving so fast, after 3 years it is not better value and I am spending $100+ a year for a phone that is likely lacking equivalent features (to a current mid level phone) and most likely has a cracked screen.

Amen. 

Since my lukewarm experience with the Nexus 4, I stuck to cheap phones. I tried various phones like the Moto G which actually impressed me considering the mediocre specs, the $50 Blu Advance 5.0 HD which was pretty darn impressive considering the price but cut too many corners. Its performance was sluggish and the speakers tinny. And now I'm using a Zuk Z2

58 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Amen. 

Since my lukewarm experience with the Nexus 4, I stuck to cheap phones. I tried various phones like the Moto G which actually impressed me considering the mediocre specs, the $50 Blu Advance 5.0 HD which was pretty darn impressive considering the price but cut too many corners. Its performance was sluggish and the speakers tinny. And now I'm using a Zuk Z2

And you get to buy a new phone every year or two knowing you are still spending less.   So if you buy a dud at best you are out of pocket $100 for that year (big deal), at worst you suffer a poor phone for 12 months.

25 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And you get to buy a new phone every year or two knowing you are still spending less.   So if you buy a dud at best you are out of pocket $100 for that year (big deal), at worst you suffer a poor phone for 12 months.

Yup. I never really got past owning a phone for a year though. That's kind of my fault, I'll admit it. Considering that I spent $200 on the Zuk, I'll have to use it for 2 years to make it "worth it".