Will GPU prices ever go down?

danielsuarez369

Asking a company that already spends millions to bring you the cards they do, to go ahead and make another line of cards for another demo graph? I'm sure that will fix the pricing issue. Run out of ram even faster. Sounds like a perfect solution. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

14 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Asking a company that already spends millions to bring you the cards they do, to go ahead and make another line of cards for another demo graph? I'm sure that will fix the pricing issue. Run out of ram even faster. Sounds like a perfect solution. 

Making separate mining cards is a terrible idea but miners always say "just make more" ? Companies will run out of ram either way,while said company does nothing to improve pricing and brings no one but miners cards.

57 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Making separate mining cards is a terrible idea but miners always say "just make more" ? Companies will run out of ram either way,while said company does nothing to improve pricing and brings no one but miners cards.

Think the gamers are saying make more. The miners don't bitch as much as the "gamers" about the price.  

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

15 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Think the gamers are saying make more. The miners don't bitch as much as the "gamers" about the price.  

The miners that afforded 20+ cards in the first place aren't going to complain when GPU's are $1,200+. It's rather justified "bitching" from pc enthusiasts/builders in general,the market hasn't been this bad in a long time. Normal people have to contend with miners,ram shortages,price gouged DDR4 RAM, with no cards in stock. Meanwhile overall GPU shipments are down. https://techreport.com/news/33313/jon-peddie-research-quantifies-state-of-the-pc-graphics-market

19 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The miners that afforded 20+ cards in the first place aren't going to complain when GPU's are $1,200+. It's rather justified "bitching" from pc enthusiasts/builders in general,the market hasn't been this bad in a long time. Normal people have to contend with miners,ram shortages,price gouged DDR4 RAM, with no cards in stock. Meanwhile overall GPU shipments are down. https://techreport.com/news/33313/jon-peddie-research-quantifies-state-of-the-pc-graphics-market

Its all the same to me, buy the card when it came out or wait to get it at msrp. If you want it that bad pay the price. I don't even have a system that could use a new card so I don't have much to complain about. Will be plenty of card to pick from shorty. Most of my friends are getting rid of the mid grade crap such as the 1070ti, and 1080s. If it isn't a 1080ti or titan, its getting the boot for the next gen. 

On 2/28/2018 at 6:14 AM, danielsuarez369 said:

Hopefully they do. And to discourage miners from buying the consumer cards they should find a way for them to consume a considerable amount of power. Gamers won't care about more power consumption but it will be a deal breaker depending on how much for miners. 

Or they could prevent people from buying too many at once, I'm not sure exactly how but I know they did a similar thing with LEGO.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

13 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Its all the same to me, buy the card when it came out or wait to get it at msrp. If you want it that bad pay the price. I don't even have a system that could use a new card so I don't have much to complain about. Will be plenty of card to pick from shorty. Most of my friends are getting rid of the mid grade crap such as the 1070ti, and 1080s. If it isn't a 1080ti or titan, its getting the boot for the next gen. 

Except no one had to buy the 9xx series cards when they came out or faced paying 2x MSRP,waiting or getting screwed by retailers selling cards in bulk & the miners buying cards by the pallet load is ruining the already niche PC enthusiast market. Nvidia & AMD will just sell out to miners again very quickly, but it's interesting you're saying the 1070Ti and 1080 is "mid-grade crap" when a GTX1080 costs more than a whole gaming PC build did last year.

11 hours ago, Computernaut said:

Or they could prevent people from buying too many at once, I'm not sure exactly how but I know they did a similar thing with LEGO.

They could get more strict with the partnering card companies and enforce them to limit sales to 1 per customer,but little chance Nvidia or AMD will do anything to help their loyal customers as it would hurt their record profits from the miners.

Part of the problem is because of the miners eating up all the available cards on the market, yes but that's not the whole issue. On the supply side, the issue is that gpu manufacturers are now competing with phones like Apple's Iphone and Samsung's Galaxy line since they are now using the same vram chips and gpus and they are willing to pay up to get first dibs on most of the available vram. Combine that with the miners buying up all the mid and high end gpus and you get insane prices.

7 minutes ago, Troika said:

Part of the problem is because of the miners eating up all the available cards on the market, yes but that's not the whole issue. On the supply side, the issue is that gpu manufacturers are now competing with phones like Apple's Iphone and Samsung's Galaxy line since they are now using the same vram chips and gpus and they are willing to pay up to get first dibs on most of the available vram. Combine that with the miners buying up all the mid and high end gpus and you get insane prices.

Yeah,it's a combination of a memory shortage,miners,and GPU manufacturers making as many chips as they can. Although the higher price of VRAM is said to only account for an increase of $30-40 into the price of a GPU,rest of it are mining farms buying up every available graphics card.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah,it's a combination of a memory shortage,miners,and GPU manufacturers making as many chips as they can. Although the higher price of VRAM is said to only account for an increase of $30-40,rest of it are mining farms buying up every available graphics card.

On the upside, 970s and even older 780 cards are fairly easy to find for decent deals. That's kind of the best cards most gamers are gonna be able to grab if they're willing to go with used hardware to save some bucks and get good performance.

On 1/8/2018 at 6:03 PM, danielsuarez369 said:

Like seriously, a GTX 1060(6GB) was $200 at launch and now are $350 at best. I really wanna build a PC by next Christmas(was gonna be this Christmas, but no way i'm gonna pay nearly double for a GPU)

And then rams doubling in prices, the fuck? 

It was launched at 250, the 3gb was 200 but yeah its still more expensive now.

Ram prices more than doubled since the launch of Pascal, it was double like 3 months ago, from that point on it was estimated to double again. 

AIB's are the ones that purchase the ram if I'm not mistake, outside of HBM GPU's of course.  So even if nV or AMD state a certain MSRP, AIB's need to keep margins even if ram prices increase.  So lets say a 8 gb package was 30 bucks, but now its 60 bucks, possible even higher, to keep margins the same AIB's need to charge retailers more, now if the retailers want to keep their margins, they will charge more too, usually both AIB's and retailers try to avoid this as much as possible, but with this type of increase, they can't.

Breaking down what AIB's and retailers get, I think they try to keep margins at around 20-30% for these types of things.  Lets take 30% as a high  So lets take a retailer, selling a 250 buck card, they are buying it form an AIB @175,  Since the AIB's are only buying the GPU from the IHV, that is where nV and AMD get their 30-40% margins from Mid Range cards. 

So a AIB selling at 175 bucks if ram increased by even 100% which is double, 30 bucks is ~20 margin drop for them!

That is huge, and this is why we are seeing the price hikes, ram pricing doubled due to ram supply issues, AIB's selling cards at a higher price to retailers, retailers, aren't getting enough cards to supply the demand, bam everything all at once and prices sky rocket.

• 2 weeks later...

With most blockchain algorithms, there is a limited number of coins that can exist, so you won't be able to mine anymore at some point.

2 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

With most blockchain algorithms, there is a limited number of coins that can exist, so you won't be able to mine anymore at some point.

We have a much better chance at hoping the difficulty rises for other coins like it did for bitcoin where it's unprofitable to mine with GPUs anymore. At the rate it's going it takes 500 days to earn back the money you spent on the gpu on some coins.. hopefully the difficulty rises even more. 

On 1/8/2018 at 4:03 PM, danielsuarez369 said:

Like seriously, a GTX 1060(6GB) was $200 at launch and now are $350 at best. I really wanna build a PC by next Christmas(was gonna be this Christmas, but no way i'm gonna pay nearly double for a GPU)

And then rams doubling in prices, the fuck? 

Start saving your money or just slap it on the ole credit card.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:48 AM, Unimaginative Name said:

My brother and my buddy bought 16GB DDR4 last May (2016) for under $80.

One stick of 2133 MHz 8 GB DDR4 costs 100 $ at least in India. WTF??

8 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

One stick of 2133 MHz 8 GB DDR4 costs 100 $ at least in India. WTF??

That's how it is in America right now. I'm saying those were the prices nearly 2 years ago. A year ago, 16GB cost me $120, and I thought that was outrageous. Little did I know...

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

2 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

That's how it is in America right now. I'm saying those were the prices nearly 2 years ago. A year ago, 16GB cost me $120, and I thought that was outrageous. Little did I know...

Memory manufacturers are assholes dude. They shut down production lines, and then just raise the prices. Fuck them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 11:06 PM, Princess Cadence said:

By next christmas prices will be higher

lucky us, everyone is trying their hardest to kill cryptos so that could easily be wrong. Hopefully GPUs will go back down by christmas. RAM is whenever they can sort out the shortage. Hopefully later this year as well. The next generation of Nvidia cards should hopefully be good as well.

On 3/11/2018 at 4:47 AM, danielsuarez369 said:

We have a much better chance at hoping the difficulty rises for other coins like it did for bitcoin where it's unprofitable to mine with GPUs anymore. At the rate it's going it takes 500 days to earn back the money you spent on the gpu on some coins.. hopefully the difficulty rises even more. 

the difficulty has gone up on all cryptocurrencies and quite a few aren't even being mined any more because any GPU or asic miner that can earn back your money will take too long to do so for it to be of anyones time.

cryptocurrencies should hopefully die out soon.

then we can all relax, buy a 1080ti

and fuck some miners.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its kinda hard to say because of crypto mining the demand for decent GPU's has skyrocketed!

Iv'e seen articles saying that GPU prices will drop around the end of 2018 and articles that say that prices will carry on rising.

When crypto mining dies down again people will start to get rid of some of their GPU's but until the day that crypto mining dies down i think that prices will continue to go up. you can pick up a 4GB MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti for about £173 ($219)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x7s8TW/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-video-card-gtx-1050-ti-4gt-oc

With a bit of luck (and risk) you can try the same thing people did when Vega launched.

Vega prices were MSRP for 2-ish hours, that's how long it took to basically sell out everywhere.

So, if Nvidia or AMD launches their new graphics cards, go in blind and buy whatever you can afford at that moment.

Again, not recommended and could end up bad (terrible performance or bad cooling or whatever) but it's a risk that might be rewarding.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 hours ago, samcool55 said:

With a bit of luck (and risk) you can try the same thing people did when Vega launched.

Vega prices were MSRP for 2-ish hours, that's how long it took to basically sell out everywhere.

So, if Nvidia or AMD launches their new graphics cards, go in blind and buy whatever you can afford at that moment.

Again, not recommended and could end up bad (terrible performance or bad cooling or whatever) but it's a risk that might be rewarding.

Bad cooling is a fixable problem though. You can get an aftermarket air cooler or aio bracket. Performance, ehh, not as easily fixable. It may be fixable over time with driver optimizations. Wasn't that the case with vega?