So am I dumb for upgrading my PSU?

Wolfca

I nabbed a vega 56 at launch and have had some stability issues at clock speeds. Apart from maybe getting a dud card, the only thing I can think of is that I might need a better PSU. I checked the forum, and my EVGA B600 is a Tier 5 PSU, which I'm assuming means it's garbage. So I went on Amazon and ordered a Cooler Master V750 (Tier 1). I'm also getting some nice QoL things like black modular cables, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not crazy in thinking the PSU might be my issue?

Worst case, I just invested a little money to have a more quality PSU with more aesthetic cables that'll last me quite awhile, and I can use my old one as a backup or lying around if I want to build something else down the line. But I 'do' want this dumb issue to go away with my GPU. Circling back, could the problem have been having a cheaper PSU with daisy chained PCIE cables on a power hungry card?

My PC:

O11 Dynamic | Ryzen 2600 | Vega 56 | EK Fluidgaming | Crosshair VI Hero | 16GB DDR4 3000 | CoolerMaster v750 | LG 27GN950 | Beyerdynamic DT 990

I would definitely say it's worth it to swap the PSU regardless, just to make sure. Insufficient power can cause issues under stress/load but what issues are you having exactly?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I would definitely say it's worth it to swap the PSU regardless, just to make sure. Insufficient power can cause issues under stress/load but what issues are you having exactly?

When I would play demanding games, such as Pubg, my computer would shut down/crash. I did some testing using Unigen, and found the same thing. When underclocking my GPU turbo speed in Wattman to about 100MHz below stock, the problems went away. After awhile, I decided to check thermals, and it wasn't going above 65C before it would crash, but every time it crashed it was at the turbo speed.

My PC:

O11 Dynamic | Ryzen 2600 | Vega 56 | EK Fluidgaming | Crosshair VI Hero | 16GB DDR4 3000 | CoolerMaster v750 | LG 27GN950 | Beyerdynamic DT 990

2 minutes ago, Wolfca said:

When I would play demanding games, such as Pubg, my computer would shut down/crash. I did some testing using Unigen, and found the same thing. When underclocking my GPU turbo speed in Wattman to about 100MHz below stock, the problems went away. After awhile, I decided to check thermals, and it wasn't going above 65C before it would crash, but every time it crashed it was at the turbo speed.

It's possible a low(er) quality power supply, being unable to deliver all the power being demanded of it, could cause crashes but it's hard to say. If you dropped like 50 watts off the draw and didn't see issues then that would definitely point to the PSU but underclocking it just 100MHz I'm not sure how much power draw would be reduced so kind of tough on that one.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, ExplosiveSloths said:

Yeah, I think it would make sense.

I have a a 750w version; I'm assuming it's version 1?

Version 1?

My PC:

1 minute ago, Wolfca said:

Version 1?

I think he means it is tier one

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, Wolfca said:

Version 1?

The bronze series from EVGA has had 3 changes. B1;B2 AND B3.

B1 was known to be fairly bad.

B2/3 seem to be alright though.

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It's possible a low(er) quality power supply, being unable to deliver all the power being demanded of it, could cause crashes but it's hard to say. If you dropped like 50 watts off the draw and didn't see issues then that would definitely point to the PSU but underclocking it just 100MHz I'm not sure how much power draw would be reduced so kind of tough on that one.

Given all of the talk about "Vega being actually efficient but not at the clocks needed to compete with Nvidia", I would imagine 50-100W might not be out of the ballpark with a mild underclock?

My PC:

7 minutes ago, Wolfca said:

Most definitely sounds like a PSU problem, I had this issue a few months back with an old 600 watt PSU that just couldn't cut it anymore. New PSU fixed the issue.

Just now, Wolfca said:

Given all of the talk about "Vega being actually efficient but not at the clocks needed to compete with Nvidia", I would imagine 50-100W might not be out of the ballpark with a mild underclock?

It's possible, yah. I would say give it a shot and, like you said, the worst thing that happens is you end up with a nicer PSU :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

The bronze series from EVGA has had 3 changes. B1;B2 AND B3.

B1 was known to be fairly bad.

B2/3 seem to be alright though.

So when I replace my B1 I should throw it out the window and never look back? ;)

My PC:

Thanks for the advice guys! I got one day shipping on the Cooler Master, so it'll be coming in today. I'll let you guys know!

Being able to actually overclock instead of underclock my GPU would be a win in my book.

My PC:

3 minutes ago, Wolfca said:

So when I replace my B1 I should throw it out the window and never look back? ;)

Keep for spares and testing other parts. No reason to throw it away, you just tried to plug a space heater into it

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Keep for spares and testing other parts. No reason to throw it away, you just tried to plug a space heater into it

#VegaMasterRace?

This is what I get for thinking AMD deserved my $ this year.

My PC:

9 minutes ago, Wolfca said:

#VegaMasterRace?

This is what I get for thinking AMD deserved my $ this year.

Guessing you haven't gotten to experience Ryzen yet?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Guessing you haven't gotten to experience Ryzen yet?

I got a 1700X. Runs like a champ. I also wish I grabbed a 1070 or 1070Ti instead of the Vega 56.

My PC:

The EVGA 600B is an okay PSU. Nothing great but it's not bad.

I would recommend a new and better PSU so it can supply cleaner power to your components. A SeaSonic FOCUS is a good choice. 650 watts would be sufficient.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

8 minutes ago, Wolfca said:

I got a 1700X. Runs like a champ. I also wish I grabbed a 1070 or 1070Ti instead of the Vega 56.

I will Change whit you an Asus 1070 for the Vega ;)

3 minutes ago, Petizo said:

I will Change whit you an Asus 1070 for the Vega ;)

Maybe if you caught me 'before' I got a new $100 PSU to get my Vega to run smoothly..

My PC:

9 minutes ago, Wolfca said:

Maybe if you caught me 'before' I got a new $100 PSU to get my Vega to run smoothly..

Maybe something Could Change your mind?? :D like 150$ + ? ;) Thats the New psu and 50 bucks :)

19 minutes ago, Petizo said:

Maybe something Could Change your mind?? :D like 150$ + ? ;) Thats the New psu and 50 bucks :)

image.png.bc58023abf05ae917c5c6cd16f51e52e.pngH

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If you're willing to match those prices I'll throw in free shipping.

My PC:

Just now, Wolfca said:

image.png.bc58023abf05ae917c5c6cd16f51e52e.pngH

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah they are sold out,everywhere on the world :D Thats why you see that silly price for a Vega ,just to get 60++ fps whit freesync Thats like unreal to buy or to sell for 1300$, not even a miner buys that ,for that price lol ,so i would not pay much attention to something like that,they are just trying :D 

To give you guys a quick update on the kind of day I've had So it looks like the new PSU did the trick! The only real issue I've had is that the SATA cables all have the wires running "down" from being plugged into my SSD, so I can't lay it flat on my PSU shroud (S340) like I did before. I've gone ahead and ordered an extension, and for now I shoved my SSD under the shroud. Also, the for SATA and Molex all have a bunch of ends. Not a problem except getting the back cover on is a pain in the butt, I need to put some proper time into cable management.

As far as my GPU, I've been running Heaven at stock for the last 10 minutes with no issues. It used to crash after about 90 seconds. It's stabilized at about 82C, without changing the fan speeds at all. So I'll take that as a win.

I also ordered 4 Noctua fans to replace all of my existing stock (case and AiO) fans. All of the Noctuas are 4 pins, and I don't have something to plug the fourth fan into, as all my fan to molex adapters only work for 3 pin and I don't have any 3-4 pin converter. I ordered a hub.

I also decided to add a competent SSD to replace my DRAM-less Sandisk Plus as my boot drive. I grabbed a 960 EVO M.2. I spent an hour wondering why my SSD stopped working, and thought it was the PSU. Turns out that having the m.2 slow populated turns off two of my SATA ports.

So all in all this crap took me 3 hours to do, and god do I hate thumbscrews.

My PC: